• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Chinese shipboard ASW helicopter

Llarry

The attached is a CGI of the Chinese Navy's newest helicopter, the Z-20F. I'm unable to find a decent photo of the real thing.

In 1984, the Chinese bought 24 Sikorsky S-70C-2s ostensibly for civil use in areas such as Tibet; the S-70 was judged to have superior high-altitude performance. The 1989 Tiananmen massacre brought an embargo on additional sales, and the Chinese did what they always do: reverse-engineered a foreign design. The result was the Harbin Z-20, which first flew in 2013. They also made various alterations, chief of which is a five-blade main rotor. The Z-20, much like the H-60, is being adapted for a number of roles and the Z-20F is the shipboard ASW version.Harbin Z-20F CGI.jpg

Last edited:

Llarry

Douglas Adams would approve of their buoy launcher capacity.

It looks like a bunch of one-upmanship. Extra MR blade, 68% more buoys, longer, and even has tinted windows. It's like Xzibit pimped my ride.
The buoy launcher may be a CGI error, if the video is accurate. On the other hand, I'd bet it has power windows and door locks.

thump

pilot
Douglas Adams would approve of their buoy launcher capacity.

It looks like a bunch of one-upmanship. Extra MR blade, 68% more buoys, longer, and even has tinted windows. It's like Xzibit pimped my ride.

Betcha it rolls past 45 deg too!

• Haha
Reactions: IKE

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's interesting that most of the real images show it without radar. I wonder if some of the airframes are conversions that don't have radar vs new builds that have integral to the design. Kind of like the Bromeo vs the Romeo.

It's possible that Chinese sonobuoys are smaller.

I've heard that, but I also hear it's more about how they're employed.

Llarry

I found some better images. The first is the Z-20F ASW helicopter and the second is the Z-20J utility variant prototype. These are both prototype or early production models.第4架海直20.jpgPLAN Z-20J Utility helicopter.jpg

Last edited:

GroundPounder

"They [the capitalists] will furnish credits which will serve us for the support of the Communist Party in their countries and, by supplying us materials and technical equipment which we lack, will restore our military industry necessary for our future attacks against our suppliers. To put it in other words, they will work on the preparation of their own suicide."

It may be apocryphal , but this is supposedly from the private writings of Lenin.

Random8145

"They [the capitalists] will furnish credits which will serve us for the support of the Communist Party in their countries and, by supplying us materials and technical equipment which we lack, will restore our military industry necessary for our future attacks against our suppliers. To put it in other words, they will work on the preparation of their own suicide."

It may be apocryphal , but this is supposedly from the private writings of Lenin.
We seem to like to give our future military rivals lots of help to become military rivals. We helped Japan modernize during the late 19th century. Then we gave the Soviets a huge amount of help in terms of industrial equipment and expertise to help them build their industrial capability, before WWII. Now we've spent decades helping build up China.

Sonog

pilot
We seem to like to give our future military rivals lots of help to become military rivals. We helped Japan modernize during the late 19th century. Then we gave the Soviets a huge amount of help in terms of industrial equipment and expertise to help them build their industrial capability, before WWII. Now we've spent decades helping build up China.

That's a central component to the military industrial complex business model.