• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

new cap gun.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lawman said:
Hey Skid, something Ive been thinking about after watching Defoe clean his 1911 in Flight of the Intruder and then just put in in his locker. On a combat station aboard ship, hypothetically say your on one of the Amphibs with your Cobra group flying into combat routinely. Do they let you keep the weapon or is it an issue it out to you as you need it kind of thing? Seems like, while I trust no service more then the Marines as far as weapons safety, bad things could happen letting a bunch of guys just leave them in there lockers possibly loaded.

(especially with all those dungeree wearing nancy boys that learned how to fight fires instead of bad guys walking around) :icon_tong For the Navy guys ;)

On the boat issue and de-issue though we have streamlined it where necessary. When I was a FAC I would bring my pistol to the wardroom trying to get that last meal before going ashore(it was on the way to the armory), it was just jammed in the pocket of my Cammies (what the Navy didnt know couldnt hurt them). The big thing is rounds, they are issued down in the hangar deack and turned in down there as well. Each ship is a little different but usually you send one LT down to the armory to draw all the weapons for a flight.
Being stuck with the 9mm isnt that big a deal since we are also flying with two M4s.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Can pilots carry their own weapons? I thought they were stuck with the 9mm's like the rest of the military. It sure would be nice to be able to pack a little extra stopping power, I always did love the M1911.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I think in general, the official position differes from reality in Naval Aviation squadrons. I know it did for us.

This is back in Gulf 1 understand...My det had glock 17 that we all bought in Israel (Haifa). We carried conceled when we went on liberty in Egypt....it seemed prudent. As did the ships' captain and our OIC.

All the A-6 pilots I knew at the time did the exact same thing. (Bought weapons in Haifa, private purchase, etc.)

The Israel gun shops used to do a nice business with USN personnel. I'm sure that's been nixed in the "de warriorized" world now..

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
This is back in Gulf 1 understand...My det had glock 17 that we all bought in Israel (Haifa). We carried conceled when we went on liberty in Egypt....it seemed prudent. As did the ships' captain and our OIC.

Sounds prudent to me.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
.......All the A-6 pilots I knew at the time did the exact same thing.........
In fact, some of our guys were comical with their load-out .... they looked like commandos with all the crap they carried. 2-3 pistols, bandoleers, knive(s), two guys managed to carry machetes and I know of one non-ejection seat guy who "carried" a sawed-off 12-guage shotgun!!!

AND THAT WAS JUST ON LIBERTY IN OLONGAPO !!! (just kidding .........)

Mostly ... we carried an issue .38 (I carried a 1911 as well) and we kept custody of them when we reported aboard. Responsibility ..... ???

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Mostly ... we carried an issue .38 (I carried a 1911 as well) and we kept custody of them when we reported aboard. Responsibility ..... ???

What'd you carry in them .38s? Just standard FMJ? 125 or 158 gr? Or did you get lucky and get LSWCs?

Lawman

None
Guy at my range, old member is a lot like what A4's described. He was a driver back during vietnam and carried the .38 that he was issued, nothing special. Well he ended up going down and spending 18 months in lovely Hanoi. So later in life he ended up as one of the old hands in a Tomcat squadron and during the first gulf war he had his specially made leather gear that had him packing 2 1911's under the arms and cross draw mounted. He was joking about the young guys that went "what do you need all that for" to which his responce was "You ever spend 18 months in a {*edited for profanity and racial slurs*} cage..... no?..... then STFU!"

Cool guy, to bad he moved to Arizona I had some fun hearing his old stories.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
What'd you carry in them .38s? Just standard FMJ? 125 or 158 gr? Or did you get lucky and get LSWCs?

Most guys carried 158 gr lead --- issue. I carried .38 flare rounds and then 230 gr FMJ in my .45 Colt ...............