• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

new cap gun.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Finally picked up that 1911 I've been wanting. Got a Kimber Custom TLE II and a couple Wilson Combat 8rd mags to go with it. Shoots like a dream... I, on the other hand, do not. Need to get used to this thing. In time though.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Nice pistol .... Will you be able to carry it if deployed to the Sand .... ??? Or are Marine Aviators stuck with issue 9mm's ???

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stuck with the 9mm. Many of those caught with their own weapons (usually on the way home by customs) get to donate them to the Iraqi police forces

Grant

skidkid said:
Stuck with the 9mm. Many of those caught with their own weapons (usually on the way home by customs) get to donate them to the Iraqi police forces

Customs is waiting at the MCAS' to search down aviators when they get home?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
skidkid said:

Usually the CO of the Squadron (HMM) will personally arrange for secure shipment of personal weapons in and out of theatre.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
squeeze said:
Finally picked up that 1911 I've been wanting. Got a Kimber Custom TLE II and a couple Wilson Combat 8rd mags to go with it. Shoots like a dream... I, on the other hand, do not. Need to get used to this thing. In time though.

What did you pay for your TLE II ?

Any extractor issues?

Lawman

None
skidkid said:

Hey Skid, something Ive been thinking about after watching Defoe clean his 1911 in Flight of the Intruder and then just put in in his locker. On a combat station aboard ship, hypothetically say your on one of the Amphibs with your Cobra group flying into combat routinely. Do they let you keep the weapon or is it an issue it out to you as you need it kind of thing? Seems like, while I trust no service more then the Marines as far as weapons safety, bad things could happen letting a bunch of guys just leave them in there lockers possibly loaded.

(especially with all those dungeree wearing nancy boys that learned how to fight fires instead of bad guys walking around) :icon_tong For the Navy guys ;)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
What did you pay for your TLE II ?

Any extractor issues?

$770 for the pistol, the WC mags were $27 each

As far as the external extractor, I think that's mostly a lot of hype from Kimber's detractors. Yes, their first version of the EE on the early Tac. Custom II's had issues... that was a long time ago. They have long since been cured of those problems and you'd be hard pressed to find problems with any of the new full-size Kimber 1911s (yes, I've heard issues still... but almost all revolve around the shorter barreled ones)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lawman said:
.......(especially with all those dungeree wearing nancy boys that learned how to fight fires instead of bad guys walking around) :icon_tong For the Navy guys ;)
You better pull some sea-time before you start talkin' smack to sailors, "law-dog" ..... most sailors I know/knew would hand your ass to you .....
happysmall4ry.gif

But to answer your interrogatory ... we kept our sidearms in our staterooms --- we were responsible then (?) --- what a concept. Every Aviator and NFO qualified with a .38 and a 1911 prior to cruise.

When the infamous race-riot on the Kitty Hawk went down --- we got the green light to return to our staterooms, lock the hatch, and if anyone came through (officers were a target) ... we were cleared to "defend ourselves" ... which was good, as my stateroom was directly opposite Flight Ops --- about 5-6 kneeknockers aft of the large enlisted berthing compartment where the riot started .....

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Speaking of Kimbers, I just talked myself into a Kimber Classic (Series I) Stainless. I love Kimbers, but I hate the external extractor and the firing pin safety isn't really my thing either...so I decided on one of the 95-95 Yonkers-made models instead. Yay!

Lawman

None
A4sForever said:
You better pull some sea-time before you start talkin' smack to sailors, "law-dog" ..... most sailors I know/knew would hand your ass to you .....

Nahh, just friendly ribbing after the one former squid in gun class (recertification for OPATA last March) made the statement "Well show me how Im doing it wrong, I was in the Navy on a ship...I dont know anything about handguns."

Had a couple Army reservists in there too that had some very bad reload habits so its all the individual. I give my roommate crap all the time about his shooting, but hes a former bubblehead and they arent quite right to begin with.