• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Atronauts...also known as Astronauts

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
One would assume that advanced degrees in engineering from our nation's top universities, selection as military aviators and test pilots, along with combat experience, would tick that box...no? I'm finding it very hard to find the affirmative action slacker in that bunch.

Not what I said. What I said is that the "odds on being selected" are better for females. I'm sure all 4 ladies selected are eminently qualified for astronaut training. My point, if I have one, is that the universe of "highly qualified" female candidates is probably considerably fewer than that of males in military aviation. I sincerely don't think my allegation was either inaccurate, insensitive or unfair. It seems to be, however, politically incorrect in the New, Action Navy.

gotta_fly

pilot
Seems like the old joke about being with us or being a terrorist is back.

If you're not "with" the vocal minority on this thread, you're a sexist dinosaur. Give me a break. Anyone with a fourth grade level knowledge of fractions can understand Fog's point. Some of you are going to PC yourselves into an anxiety attack.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Renegade One

None
The linkie is actually says this: (Emphases are my own…)
Flying experience is not a requirement. The Astronaut Candidate Program requires either 3 years of professional related experience, or 1,000 hours of pilot-in-command time in jet aircraft to meet the minimum qualification requirement. Jet aircraft experience is usually obtained through the military. Any type of flying experience-military or private, is beneficial to have [R1: but apparently not required].

My point, if I have one, is that the universe of "highly qualified" female candidates is probably considerably fewer than that of males in military aviation. I sincerely don't think my allegation was either inaccurate, insensitive or unfair.
Again…"military aviation" is NOT a specified requirement…it's "this or this". I can't imagine trying to quantify the ratio of "applicant females with kick-ass educational/professional credentials and experience" vs. "applicant males in military aviation". If you've got some better data for me…I'm willing to be re-educated.

Also, of the four females selected, the two military types ARE winged aviators…USMC Hornet pilot and USA OH-58 RW pilot…BOTH grads of NTPS.

I don't think your allegation was inaccurate, insensitive or unfair. I just don't get the continued "pushback" on a done deal. I'm happy that 50% of the qualified ladies selected are wearing the uniform and wings.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems like the old joke about being with us or being a terrorist is back.

If you're not "with" the vocal minority on this thread, you're a sexist dinosaur.
It's not only on this thread either. What used to be considered a humorous, useful RR style douchebag mentoring event (the "herpes dogpile"), turned ugly with a name-calling PC slapdown by a few winged 'shipmates'!:(

Give me a break. Some of you are going to PC yourselves into an anxiety attack.
PC is a social virus, and it's becoming apparent why AW has been bleeding members lately.:confused:
BzB