• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need some laptop suggestions

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
we have her, she's buying a mac

This is exactly what happens when you are assimilated by the "trendyness" that is Apple. You adopt a Borg like mentality and generate a distaste for practicallity and a disdain for all electronics that don't start with the letter I.

S.O.B.

pilot
This is exactly what happens when you are assimilated by the "trendyness" that is Apple. You adopt a Borg like mentality and generate a distaste for practicallity and a disdain for all electronics that don't start with the letter I.

The only people throwing around "distaste" and "disdain" are the PC zealots.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
...again it's over, we have her, she's buying a mac..take your rage elsewhere..go build a water cooled PC out of an Xbox or whatever you people do...
“we have her…”, hilarious, kinda like liberals & conservatives vying over the moderates vote at election time…

I’m not a PC zealot… just a realist who knows what works for me doesn’t work for everybody else… I know Macs are a solid computer, costs a lot because of that. People shouldn't generalize though because of a bad experience and then insinuate "their team" is the best...

I hope the OP does do some good research, to include looking at Mac's, and buy what's she determines is best for her!

SF

phrogpilot73

Nor am I a zealot. I think it's funny, because I have yet to argue one way or the other. Macs are good for some, PCs are good for others...

Nordo

Dude, the OP is a chick, not a Linux nerd. You can't seriously suggest a Linux based system for someone like this. -1 for general SA.

Brett

I know who I am advising. I am not suggesting she install Gentoo; Ubuntu is very easy to use. If you want even easier, you can install Mint, but the developers of Mint ask that only supporters of Palestine use their distro. If you're not savvy enough to use an Ubuntu-based distro, then you're not savvy enough to use OSX.

Why not just try it out? It is impossible to do harm to your computer just trying it out.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know who I am advising. I am not suggesting she install Gentoo; Ubuntu is very easy to use. If you want even easier, you can install Mint, but the developers of Mint ask that only supporters of Palestine use their distro. If you're not savvy enough to use an Ubuntu-based distro, then you're not savvy enough to use OSX.

Why not just try it out? It is impossible to do harm to your computer just trying it out.

I don't think you do. Nobody, especially a housewife computer neophyte, is going to run an esoteric Linux OS for a "family" computer. It's a ridiculous proposition, and we both know it.

Brett

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot

I'm not gonna lie brah, I've built 75+ computers, and have certainly dabbled in multiple OS systems... All I've got to say is Windows man... Windows.

Unless you are this guy:

nerd_computer_repair.jpg

MasterBates

My MOM runs Ubuntu. It's not that hard. It's user friendly.

And unlike Windoze/Mac, I can telnet in and unfuck things if needed. Have never had a need to though.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
My MOM runs Ubuntu. It's not that hard. It's user friendly.

And unlike Windoze/Mac, I can telnet in and unfuck things if needed. Have never had a need to though.

Actually I can do the same thing with my parents computer (Both Mac)

Pugs

Back from the range
None

? I do remote access all the time with Windows. I did so to a machine 10,000 miles away without a problem today to run some tests on a box I was sitting next to.

Mac's support remote access just fine too.

As far as telnet itself, its so unsecure it's not even allowed on the network at work any more.

phrogpilot73

I don't think you do. Nobody, especially a housewife computer neophyte, is going to run an esoteric Linux OS for a "family" computer. It's a ridiculous proposition, and we both know it.
Have you used anything other than RedHat, Gentoo, etc? Have you even TRIED Ubuntu? Esoteric it's not.

Graphical user interface? Check.
Wireless Networking? Check.
Microsoft Office Compatible Office Suite? Check.
Adobe Photoshop-esque photo editing? Check.
Media Player? Check.
Web Browsing? Check.
Email? Check.

What more does a housewife need? Oh by the way - that is all "out of the box" after clicking (with a mouse) a technically challenging icon labeled "Install". You're right. She wouldn't be able to figure that out. Too esoteric. So esoteric in fact, that a major PC manufacturer would NEVER sell computers with it pre-installed...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you used anything other than RedHat, Gentoo, etc? Have you even TRIED Ubuntu? Esoteric it's not.

Graphical user interface? Check.
Wireless Networking? Check.
Microsoft Office Compatible Office Suite? Check.
Adobe Photoshop-esque photo editing? Check.
Media Player? Check.
Web Browsing? Check.
Email? Check.

What more does a housewife need? Oh by the way - that is all "out of the box" after clicking (with a mouse) a technically challenging icon labeled "Install". You're right. She wouldn't be able to figure that out. Too esoteric. So esoteric in fact, that a major PC manufacturer would NEVER sell computers with it pre-installed...

I'm sure it's functional and easy to use, but why would someone who probably has never heard of Linux want to use it. All I'm saying that it is fringe, thus probably not a good idea for someone who isn't into an "alternative" OS or into tinkering with their machines. I've got nothing against any of the Linux variants, but it's not for everybody.

Brett

phrogpilot73

I'm sure it's functional and easy to use, but why would someone who probably has never heard of Linux want to use it.
For a couple of reasons. 1. It's open source, so it's cheap. 2. It runs on damn near any hardware (no matter how old), and 3. It can do all the typical home user stuff (open, create, edit Office documents, web browsing, email, etc...)

All I'm saying that it is fringe, thus probably not a good idea for someone who isn't into an "alternative" OS or into tinkering with their machines.
I'll give you that it's fringe, but the various companies that distribute Linux have a fraction of the advertising budget of Microsoft/Apple. I'd bet that a bunch of people would probably be interested in Linux, since it does what it does cheaply, efficiently, and it's very stable. I'll give you that it is an alternative OS (so is the upcoming Google Chrome OS), but it hardly requires any tinkering now. It really is as easy as installing OS X or Windows.

I'm not a Linux fan-boy by any stretch, but I've fiddled with it off and on for years. I have two laptops running Ubuntu/Kubuntu right now and am very impressed with how far it's come.