• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need some laptop suggestions

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I'd equate buying a Mac to buying a Porsche..... They are really pretty and 'hip'. It'd be like buying a designer purse.

Sigh. . .this is why I miss the days when us Apple geeks could be out on the fringe all by ourselves. It's too mainstream now, and the mainstream largely refuses to "get it".

"Oh, it costs more, looks nice, and I can't play Half Life? Must be all for show."

Grrrr. . . .

You end up buying this 'macbook' for 1k+, and end up promptly buying $300 worth of Apple brand proprietary overpriced accessories.

Only accessory I bought was the miniDVI to VGA connector. . .$20. . .the nice thing about Apple is that anyone's peripherals will work for it (and most of the time, there's not even any software to install).

if you ever are going to need that Macbook worked on, you're going to have to take it to Trinity, who will charge you up the wazoo to work on it (oh, unless you spend an extra bill on Apple's 'protection plan').

In warranty: all repairs are free. Period.

Out of warranty: If they can fix it in the store, you pay whatever it costs for parts and a cheaper-than-Geeksquad labor charge. If they have to ship it out, it's a flat $280 for all repairs needed to get it back up and running, that are not related to water damage or "obvious abuse".

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I can't complain. Yea, going into the Apple store can be a little unnerving to a red meat eating carnivore like myself, but they fixed my computer...for free..even though I dropped it....and I didn't have to call "Jay"maheshamahatmasanji in Banglepoureshangi India for tech support before I took it in.

The last time I talked to "Jay" was when my piece of shit dell crapped the bed on me after replacing 2 hard drives and losing countless pieces of work in college. The computer gave me the blue screen of death, "Jay" told me that my computer was 2 weeks out of its extended warranty, and he could transfer me to Dell's sales department since repairs would probably cost just as much as a new computer. I told him, as politely as I could, where his sales department could go.

It's been 2 and a half years since I got my macs (wife got one right after I did...cept she paid 100 bucks more for the black version don't ask me why) and we've had 0 problems. None.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Well I was going to reccommend an Acer Aspire One netbook. You can get one for about $250 and it will do everything that she listed. I'd go with the 160 GB hard drive instead of the 8GB flash memory. I won one as a door prize a few months ago and haven't touched my home desktop except for CAD work since. I have it running XP Pro and have MS Office and Autocad installed on it. Another $50 will max out the RAM.

nombrescreeno

I'd equate buying a Mac to buying a Porsche..... They are really pretty and 'hip'. It'd be like buying a designer purse.

You walk into the store and everyone is super into fashion and shit. There's some homo erotic trance music going on and the employees are half walking around, half dancing and smiling their spindley asses around the store in their faggoty cardigan pullovers. Some gay guy named Trinity that is listening to his IPOD will walk up to you with a smile and ask you how he can make your Apple experience a sssssplendid one.

This is gold and is exactly right :D

That said, if you aren't the most PC savvy person out there, a Mac is a fine choice if you're willing to pay

Personally, I don't pay other people to repair any issues with computers so in general, paying extra for Mac support isn't necessary.

I will say though that having to pay $30 for a freakin iPhone charger is ridiculous for what it is

nombrescreeno

I feel like most chargers cost around that these days??

Well knowing how much it actually costs to make a little AC adapter plug to go with an iPod connector and how much they actually charge is what annoys me :icon_tong

That and Apple is very proprietary with some things hence higher prices (like the crappy iPod headphones are way over-priced and it amazes me that people buy it)

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I feel like most chargers cost around that these days??

Yes, but $30 for this?

USB-CHARGER-IPHONE-3G-R73467.jpg

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Mac's...the greatest thing since sliced bread...according to "mac fanboys"... I'll never own one. (it pained me to buy an iPod).

For those generalizing how shitty PC's are because of a bad experience with them, I'm typing this on my 6 year old archaic HP laptop that I have never had a problem with and my desktop PC is a 10 yr old box that I've been upgrading myself every few years with a new processor here and some extra RAM there, & I have never had a problem with it. And I still have a Compaq 486dx4 with 8mb RAM from '95 that runs just fine, of course nothing runs on a Windows 95 based PC these days. Viruses? What's that? Oh, it's those things you get when you click on that e-mail attachment that is supposed to be a pic but you're too stupid to see that the file extension is .exe ... you deserve the virus.

Only thing good about a Mac IMO was playing Oregon Trail in monochrome back in HS a long time ago...

SF

Mac-hater :)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Well knowing how much it actually costs to make a little AC adapter plug to go with an iPod connector and how much they actually charge is what annoys me

Want some cheese with that whine? Every electronics manufacturer (LG/Dell/Blackberry/Motorola/HTC/Whoever) sells branded chargers for their products in the $25-30 price point for phones, more for other products. And you've always been able to get 3rd party options for cheaper. Oh, and that Apple charger is a world charger w/ adapters. Not so much for the 3rd party jobs. It's not like Apple is purposely designing to some crazy proprietary standards. Why the hate?

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
this seems appropriate..

and to sum up the rest of the debate

"macs are awesome"
"no they're not they're too expensive"
"you get what you pay for, and we don't get viruses"
"who cares, you can't play games"
"Linux R teh b3$t"
"GO BACK TO YOUR HOLE NERD"

S.O.B.

pilot
If I was cool enough to be a mod I would close this thing.... again it's over, we have her, she's buying a mac..take your rage elsewhere..go build a water cooled PC out of an Xbox or whatever you people do...

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
If I was cool enough to be a mod I would close this thing.... again it's over, we have her, she's buying a mac..take your rage elsewhere..go build a water cooled PC out of an Xbox or whatever you people do...

I thought she was just going to look at one...