• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need Help With USN BUNOs...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back about 1-2 mos. ago, there was a forum/thread that had a link to a comprehensive lineal list of assigned USN aircraft BUNOs, including type/model & final disposition of each BUNO. I have tried max searches on AW with no luck yet.
I am doing some research involving the ultimate fate of the A-4 BUNOs listed in my Flight Logbook, for historical purposes. I remember being horrified at the tremendous loss-rate (combat & operational) of A-4C models in the mid-149xxx BUNO range. Curious to learn more regarding this anomaly.
Any help in locating this link will be appreciated by this tired ol' ancient mariner!
BzB

KBayDog

No problem, BZB. It's a good site, and one that I've got some interest in (since many of the BuNos in my logbooks are now "Safe on Deck" in Tucson). Just like the Abandoned and Little-Known Airfields site, it's nothing official...but it's a good start.

BTW, that pic of you with Ronald has got to be one of the creepiest pictures I've ever seen. Did he make you call him "Uncle Ronnie?"

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BTW, that pic of you with Ronald has got to be one of the creepiest pictures I've ever seen. Did he make you call him "Uncle Ronnie?

Nah, lol. After I drop-kicked five 3-yr. olds out of the head af the line to demand a photo-op & a free Big Mac, he/she 0nly mumbled "YES SIR"!:eek:
BzB

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
That's a pretty cool site. Kinda crazy all the cat and dog airframes we purchased over the years. Some of them long forgotten, some not well known, to others people refuse to forget.

Random question. Some of the last BUNOs on there are UH-72s. When did the Navy get those? Thought they were an Army Natl Guard thing only.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
That's a pretty cool site. Kinda crazy all the cat and dog airframes we purchased over the years. Some of them long forgotten, some not well known, to others people refuse to forget.

Random question. Some of the last BUNOs on there are UH-72s. When did the Navy get those? Thought they were an Army Natl Guard thing only.

According to the NAVAIR website, the UH-72A is at the Naval Test Pilot School.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Reading through all those list I see a lot of "Contract Cancelled" notations. Who/what/when/where during the acquisition process decides this?

It got far enough in the process to get a BuNo but not far enough to be built, what gave?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
mostly recip prop contracts written during the war. cnx when festivities came to a close

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reading through all those list I see a lot of "Contract Cancelled" notations. Who/what/when/where during the acquisition process decides this?

It got far enough in the process to get a BuNo but not far enough to be built, what gave?

NAVAIR AKA Naval Air Systems Command (formerly BuAer = Bureau of Aeronautics) manages the "Bureau" Numbers (BUNO). As flaps attests, sometimes BUNO numbers assigned to a "Block" of aircraft are not used due to cancellation or modification of the contract.

As to the UH-72A Lakotas, USNTPS also serves the Army so quite a few Army platforms are on inventory there and the UH-72 is the latest to join the flock.

787447339_ba8345a82f_m.jpg

brownshoe

Contributor
No problem, BZB. It's a good site, and one that I've got some interest in (since many of the BuNos in my logbooks are now "Safe on Deck" in Tucson). Just like the Abandoned and Little-Known Airfields site, it's nothing official...but it's a good start.

BTW, that pic of you with Ronald has got to be one of the creepiest pictures I've ever seen. Did he make you call him "Uncle Ronnie?"
Creepy isn’t the word for it. I’d like to know where BzB has his other hand (you can only see one). If you notice in the picture they both have big grins on their faces. Just sayin’.:D

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Creepy isn’t the word for it. I’d like to know where BzB has his other hand (you can only see one). If you notice in the picture they both have big grins on their faces. Just sayin’.:D

Brownshoe..Uhhh..oh never mind...?:p
BzB