• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need help with spatial appreciation

cgoetz

I'm planning to take the ASTB in June. I'm currently studying for it right now but the spatial appreciation part is kicking my but. I'm using two different study guides but I think I am going to need some more practice. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can find other sources.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
I used a method where I just said in my head "Banked left, climbing, out to sea." Are you saying these things in your head and it's not helping?

el douge

This one time at band camp...
Model the angle of attack and bank with your hand in the orders that Captain Ron stated. Is the plane banking? Is the plane climbing? and last is it heading out to sea or into land and at what angle?

The banking photos will also be either slight or extreme so keep that in mind roughly a 20-30 degree bank for slight and a 45 degree bank for an extreme. It also helps to get into the cockpit and take a couple trips up if you have the cash. I did that and it helped a lot.

Best of luck to you and study hard!

El

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
its been a long time since I took this but I seem to remember a tip that helped me was the relation of the horizon to the center of the picture. If its below your in a climb, and if its above the center your in a dive.

Hope this helps some. While the spacial is a lot of questions and it seems like there is more then one answer that could work for each question, its more of a test of quick reaction considering how little time you have.

bjschilling

if you are in a bank, and whatever side the horizon is closest to the top that is the direction of the bank. (i.e. If the horizon is banked and goes from the top left corner to the bottom right corner you are in a left bank.)

Also pay attention to the bank angle, I know I missed some of those by not paying attention until I was almost done and you do not have time to go back.

Rubiks06

pilot
This may sound stupid but get yourself an old school flight sim video game and give yourself weird bank angles. It helped me on mine. Play a lot of it and youll be suprised how good at it you are.
The quick fix too that they mentioned above kind of a sanity check-
Horizon low = Nose high
Horizon high=Nose low
Right side high = Right turn
Left side high = left turn.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I'll echo what everybody else is saying...

1) If you are not having problems with coming up with the right answer and are just slow at it, practice doing it in a very systematic way. Pitch, bank, direction...Pitch, bank, direction...over and over.

2) If you are having a problem just getting the right answer, do activities that force your mind to think in terms that allows you to come up with it. Taking flight lessons is a little pricey. Several hundred hours of flight simulator video games would be much more economical. I'm not kidding.:D

Once you get #2 down, work on #1.

And the disclaimer that I put in every thread about the ASTB like it or not- Some people aren't meant to be pilots or NFOs. The ASTB is an aptitude test for the qualities the Navy and Marine Corps want and if someone can't hack it, then it's not meant to be. No amount of studying can help some people.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
This will really dumb it down for when you take the test:

Your hand=Airplane
Desk=land
above desk=air
where desk ends=water

Look down the length of your hand and make the "image" match what is on the test. Then pull your head back and see how your hand is oriented. You'll look ridiculous doing it, but it works. Helped me get my 8/8/9 on the ASTB.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I wish I could help you on this one

But things have probably changed since I took it 10 year ago. Get this; it was called spatial apperception at that time, vice appreciation.

ap·per·cep·tion
thinsp.png
[ap-er-sep-shuh
thinsp.png
n]
–noun . 1.conscious perception. 2.the act or process of apperceiving

That's cool that they are teaching the new generation to appreciate things more.:icon_wink

srqwho

pilot
I didn't buy one for this reason, but using a flight sim helped me with the spatial portion of the ASTB. There are some good ones out there, but I only have experience with X-plane... Good luck.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Seriously. If you are having trouble with spatial apperception - you're in for a struggle. That's like wanting to pursue a career in accounting, even though you're just not comfortable with this whole "numbers" thing.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Seriously. If you are having trouble with spatial apperception - you're in for a struggle. That's like wanting to pursue a career in accounting, even though you're just not comfortable with this whole "numbers" thing.

Let's just hope that this is a new way of thinking for him and it's a little confusing. I will say that having Microsoft FSX helped a bit, but really you just have to do what Captain Ron said. This is what went through my brain for every one of those questions:

"out to sea, left bank, in a climb" or whatever the situation called for, and matched that with the answer.

Not much else can help you, we just all love
deadhorse2.jpg

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Let's just hope that this is a new way of thinking for him and it's a little confusing.
Well then, hold the fuck on when it comes time to tackle RIs.

I can't add too well, but I think I'll give this calculus thing a shot. It sounds neat.