• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Need Dual Processing Advice. Any info about AVO? NFO shipdates & requirements?

Enigma

Hi,

I'm currently a college senior, expected to graduate this May. I started talking to an officer recruiter to start the process and took the OAR/ASTB for the first time. For Officer jobs, I'm mainly interested in being an NFO. I don't think I meet the eyesight/height requirement for Aviator.

Some stats about me:
25 years old
GPA ~2.4
My major is in Applied Math with a minor in Computer Science & Engineering
Oar 59, ASTB 7/7/8.
Working (~25hr/week) part-time jobs while a full-time student

Despite my very poor GPA, my Officer recruiter, an LT, thinks I could still have a shot because he said I did really well on the ASTB and that there technically isn't a GPA requirement. Another Officer recruiter, an E-8 at the same office, said that I should have at least a 2.5 GPA and there are no waivers for it, even if I had good test scores. He also said the wait time if I were selected could take 1-2 years after I'm selected before I ship off to OCS because the pipeline is so backed up right now. He said I should consider looking at other opportunities the Navy has to offer. Honestly, I just want to join the Navy the before I get too old. Regarding my bad GPA and late age, I had family responsibilities that I really don't want to get into on the internet. I've been looking at the new AVO program for flying drones and CTI/CTN. CTI seems interesting because it looks like I could do Intel and Aircrew things. I'm thinking of Dual Processing. No, I haven't talked to an enlisted recruiter yet.

As an aside, I think the Senior Chief is the LT's supervisor. How is that possible?

My questions:
1) Do I have a decent shot at NFO? Is there a strict GPA requirement?
2) Is there really a 1-2 year wait time for NFO?
3) Does anyone know how competitive AVO is? I'm scheduled to take the SUPer test next week.
4) Since AVO is a new program, does anyone have any information about it or what I should expect?
5) Does dual enlisting look bad, good, or neutral on my OCS application? I told an officer recruiter I'm thinking of dual processing and he said that I could put that in my motivational statement and it would show that I'm actually devoted to the Navy. Would the Navy actually see that as a positive thing?

Thanks!

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Some stats about me:
25 years old
GPA ~2.4
Oar 59, ASTB 7/7/8.
Welcome to AWs. Search around and you'll find aviation OCS boards where you can rack/stack yourself with other candidates. A 2.4 is definitely on the low end.

As an aside, I think the Senior Chief is the LT's supervisor. How is that possible?

My questions:
3) Does anyone know how competitive AVO is? I'm scheduled to take the SUPer test next week.
4) Since AVO is a new program, does anyone have any information about it or what I should expect?
5) Does dual enlisting look bad, good, or neutral on my OCS application? I told an officer recruiter I'm thinking of dual processing and he said that I could put that in my motivational statement and it would show that I'm actually devoted to the Navy. Would the Navy actually see that as a positive thing?

1. As mentioned, the 2.4 GPA hurts a lot. I've maybe seen 1-2 candidates with sub 2.5 GPAs get PROREC. The 7/7/8 is a fairly average ASTB score by the way.
2. Search around here to find your answer.
3. It's still a new program and it's difficult to create a bar of what's considered competitive.
4. Similarly, use Google and search around here to learn more about the AVO program.
5. Dual processing adds zero benefit to an OCS application. If it did, a lot of kids would do it.

exNavyOffRec

1) probably not, your FOFAR is really good but your GPA is really not, the GPA is a thing for aviation that can hurt you but not really help you. No there is no GPA listed on the PA, but that doesn't mean they don't have a point where they will just cut people off.
2) NFO isn't that bad but it is longer than it has been in many years.
3) search this site, there have been a few threads and most of those picked up seem to be current enlisted.
4) see above
5) no one cares at the board level, it is about "best qualified"

The SCPO is probably the Officer Assistant Chief Recruiter, it is a weird dynamic for sure, they would really work for one of the more senior officers in the district but for day to day items get "direction" from the SCPO. In many cases that SCPO is going to be on calls with CNRC and have more info about what is going on than the OR's, a good OACR will get that info out to everyone so they are on the same page.

exNavyOffRec

Welcome to AWs. Search around and you'll find aviation OCS boards where you can rack/stack yourself with other candidates. A 2.4 is definitely on the low end.

1. As mentioned, the 2.4 GPA hurts a lot. I've maybe seen 1-2 candidates with sub 2.5 GPAs get PROREC. The 7/7/8 is a fairly average ASTB score by the way.
2. Search around here to find your answer.
3. It's still a new program and it's difficult to create a bar of what's considered competitive.
4. Similarly, use Google and search around here to learn more about the AVO program.
5. Dual processing adds zero benefit to an OCS application. If it did, a lot of kids would do it.
I see we were typing and sending at the same time LOL.

to the OP, notice how similar the answers were that were sent at the same time.

villo0692

Hi,

I'm currently a college senior, expected to graduate this May. I started talking to an officer recruiter to start the process and took the OAR/ASTB for the first time. For Officer jobs, I'm mainly interested in being an NFO. I don't think I meet the eyesight/height requirement for Aviator.

Some stats about me:
25 years old
GPA ~2.4
Oar 59, ASTB 7/7/8.

Despite my very poor GPA, my Officer recruiter, an LT, thinks I could still have a shot because he said I did really well on the ASTB and that there technically isn't a GPA requirement. Another Officer recruiter, an E-8 at the same office, said that I should have at least a 2.5 GPA and there are no waivers for it, even if I had good test scores. He also said the wait time if I were selected could take 1-2 years after I'm selected before I ship off to OCS because the pipeline is so backed up right now. He said I should consider looking at other opportunities the Navy has to offer. Honestly, I just want to join the Navy the before I get too old. Regarding my bad GPA and late age, I had family responsibilities that I really don't want to get into on the internet. I've been looking at the new AVO program for flying drones and CTI/CTN. CTI seems interesting because it looks like I could do Intel and Aircrew things. I'm thinking of Dual Processing. No, I haven't talked to an enlisted recruiter yet.

My questions:

Thanks!
4. Most AVOs are prior enlisted, typically in some sort of aviation/aircrew/crypto kinda job for what I’ve seen, but there’s been a few with no prior experience who still got selected. As far as what to expect. You will go through NIFE, both academics and flight portion (yes you will fly a Cessna) but no water survival or physio week. After that you will do Primary with only sims, no actual flying, and then you’ll go through Intermediate training NFOs do for big wing aircraft, no flying here either. This is where the current AVOs students are at, I went to OCS with the first ever group of warrants. For what they’ve told me, they’ll move on to big wing Advanced, and then off to Pax River for FRS. Mind you, this is a very new program, so I would not be surprised if it’s gonna change, or if it’s changed already. I’d say apply for both if you can, who knows, you might get picked. NFOs would have to wait a minute to go to OCS, and to start NIFE. But after that you go to Primary and start really quick (as of right now). AVOs go through the pipeline really quick, so if you get picked for the latter expect to rush through everything after OCS.

Enigma

If I retake the ASTB and get 9/9/9 would that significantly increase by chances of selection? Or only by a little with my GPA being the limiting factor?

CallumJohn

It would help but in your case getting the GPA up should be the priority here
Weird how the US and AUS have entirely different standards. Maybe it's because he's trying for a direct entry into an officer role (Or at least I think he is). It's pretty easy to join in an officer role in the ADF, all you have to do is involve yourself in leadership roles, get good at teamwork, speaking, quick thinking and mental arithmetic, choose the right subjects in highschool, do good in interviews, then get an ATAR of at least 85 for one of the good ADFA degrees. From there it's a direct path to pretty much any officer role they have open. Is it much different in the US? I heard that the Navy and the Airforce have academies, are they very similar to universities?

Enigma

No there is no GPA listed on the PA, but that doesn't mean they don't have a point where they will just cut people off.

It would help but in your case getting the GPA up should be the priority here

Is 2.5 the cutoff? Even if I were to get straight A's this semester, the highest GPA I could get would be 2.45. Can I take classes after I graduate to improve my GPA? Does it matter what kind of classes I take if I were to do so?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Weird how the US and AUS have entirely different standards. Maybe it's because he's trying for a direct entry into an officer role (Or at least I think he is). It's pretty easy to join in an officer role in the ADF, all you have to do is involve yourself in leadership roles, get good at teamwork, speaking, quick thinking and mental arithmetic, choose the right subjects in highschool, do good in interviews, then get an ATAR of at least 85 for one of the good ADFA degrees. From there it's a direct path to pretty much any officer role they have open. Is it much different in the US? I heard that the Navy and the Airforce have academies, are they very similar to universities?

The OP is applying for a direct entry (OCS) position.

Other officer programs, like the naval academy and ROTC (where students attend select universities on a scholarship, complete navy / marine corps training and then serve as officers once they graduate) I would say those metrics in bold are similar for USA though swap ATAR with the SAT / ACT.

I think @wink is or was a naval academy blue and gold (think: admissions rep) and may have better input than me.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Is 2.5 the cutoff? Even if I were to get straight A's this semester, the highest GPA I could get would be 2.45. Can I take classes after I graduate to improve my GPA? Does it matter what kind of classes I take if I were to do so?

Once again 2.5 is an unofficial requirement for aviation. There is no specific gpa requirement for aviation, on paper.

The boards won’t see (i.e. wont care) your specific courses, so if it’s possible to retake classes to improve the GPA or take random electives - honestly whatever it takes.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Having worked with Aussies before, the ADF has a serious manning problem to include the officer corps. While we are beginning to have issues here officer recruitment for the Navy isn't a challenge.