• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need Advice

edensvj

Stupid Teenager
I've always wanted to be a military pilot sense I was child (Currently 19), and the Navy is where I feel I belong. Unfortunately, I was very late on acting on that dream and need some advice.

Background: I graduated high school in 2023 with a very unimpressive transcript with a 2.856 GPA, SAT score of 1080 (Math: 530 R&W: 550) and Ranked 267 out of 379 in my class. To save my image just a little bit all my teachers loved me, and I was in Symphony Band, Marching Band (Section Leader), Eco Club and Key Club. I was working on getting my private pilot's license but ran out of funds. I've worked in a movie theater for about two and a half years though I don't officially hold a leadership/manager position all of the current managers will confirm they feel really confident in leaving the place under my watch while they step away.

Current: Now I am a freshman attending Community College and am member of the Police Explores and trying to get into the Police Cadet program where I already hold a good reputation among the officers. I can often be seen helping members of the community such as helping strangers with car troubles, helping my older neighbors with yardwork or shoveling and picking up trash. My first semester of college also wasn't too impressive with a 2.75 GPA mainly due to me becoming irresponsible with these new freedoms and getting Covid followed by a lung infection didn't help either. After rediscovering my motivation, I am prepared to work my butt off this semester, if I get all A's I will end this semester with roughly a 3.6 GPA. Now I have applied to the Naval Academy twice with the first time during my senior year of high school and that that went as well as you'd expect. I applied again late last summer but withdrew my application due to me feeling that there were no major changes. I also applied to NROTC but didn't qualify and it was recommended that I enlist in the Navy Reserve and apply again at the end of boot camp for USNA and NROTC.

With everything in mind, I ask you guys what you would do in my situation because I don't want to waste a recruiter's time and I don't want to go down a not optimal path for my situation. Any advice or ideas is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I've always wanted to be a military pilot sense I was child (Currently 19), and the Navy is where I feel I belong. Unfortunately, I was very late on acting on that dream and need some advice.

Background: I graduated high school in 2023 with a very unimpressive transcript with a 2.856 GPA, SAT score of 1080 (Math: 530 R&W: 550) and Ranked 267 out of 379 in my class. To save my image just a little bit all my teachers loved me, and I was in Symphony Band, Marching Band (Section Leader), Eco Club and Key Club. I was working on getting my private pilot's license but ran out of funds. I've worked in a movie theater for about two and a half years though I don't officially hold a leadership/manager position all of the current managers will confirm they feel really confident in leaving the place under my watch while they step away.

Current: Now I am a freshman attending Community College and am member of the Police Explores and trying to get into the Police Cadet program where I already hold a good reputation among the officers. I can often be seen helping members of the community such as helping strangers with car troubles, helping my older neighbors with yardwork or shoveling and picking up trash. My first semester of college also wasn't too impressive with a 2.75 GPA mainly due to me becoming irresponsible with these new freedoms and getting Covid followed by a lung infection didn't help either. After rediscovering my motivation, I am prepared to work my butt off this semester, if I get all A's I will end this semester with roughly a 3.6 GPA. Now I have applied to the Naval Academy twice with the first time during my senior year of high school and that that went as well as you'd expect. I applied again late last summer but withdrew my application due to me feeling that there were no major changes. I also applied to NROTC but didn't qualify and it was recommended that I enlist in the Navy Reserve and apply again at the end of boot camp for USNA and NROTC.

With everything in mind, I ask you guys what you would do in my situation because I don't want to waste a recruiter's time and I want to go down a not optimal path for my situation. Any advice or ideas is very much appreciated.

Your focus should be doing well in community college, then transferring to a four year university and finishing your degree with a great college GPA. OCS boards don't care about your SAT score nor do they even know or look at your high school GPA.

Once you're within 12-18 months from graduating college, contact a local officer recruiter.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Your focus should be doing well in community college, then transferring to a four year university and finishing your degree with a great college GPA. OCS boards don't care about your SAT score nor do they even know or look at your high school GPA.

Once you're within 12-18 months from graduating college, contact a local officer recruiter.
@edensvj this is great advice. Focus on school, giving back to your community, and taking care of yourself mentally and physically. OCS is always an option as are the Air Guard and Army Flying Warrant Program. Be a rockstar in school and you'll be okay.

edensvj

Stupid Teenager

Do you think it would be valuable to join the reserves to make myself more competitive or should I just wait.

Sonog

pilot

With everything in mind, I ask you guys what you would do in my situation because I don't want to waste a recruiter's time and I don't want to go down a not optimal path for my situation. Any advice or ideas is very much appreciated.

Just do well in school and in everything you encounter in life. Have a plan A, plan B, and plan C. Don't be afraid to fail. Have a dream, but don't approach it with blinders on.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
@edensvj while I don’t know where you live, you can join a university NROTC unit as a non-scholarship midshipman while a community college student (assuming you are within easy driving distance of a unit). This allows you to take the needed naval science courses (typically taught at the unit) and compete for a scholarship for your final two years. Sure, it can be a pain in the ass because you have to attend drill and other unit functions, but if the school isn’t too far away it would be well worth the effort. In one of my teaching gigs I had a student do this and he even got a summer cruise out of the deal.

So, if you are really interested, get a haircut, put on a suit, and go visit the unit. Your chances will improve if you are already part of the team.

taxi1

pilot
Do you think it would be valuable to join the reserves to make myself more competitive or should I just wait.
I think joining the reserves would help you grow up. Make you a more mature individual. That’s the positive.

edensvj

Stupid Teenager
@edensvj while I don’t know where you live, you can join a university NROTC unit as a non-scholarship midshipman while a community college student (assuming you are within easy driving distance of a unit). This allows you to take the needed naval science courses (typically taught at the unit) and compete for a scholarship for your final two years. Sure, it can be a pain in the ass because you have to attend drill and other unit functions, but if the school isn’t too far away it would be well worth the effort. In one of my teaching gigs I had a student do this and he even got a summer cruise out of the deal.

So, if you are really interested, get a haircut, put on a suit, and go visit the unit. Your chances will improve if you are already part of the team.
Unfortunately I am currently much too far from a unit to introduce myself I’ll keep this in mind when I transfer out.

edensvj

Stupid Teenager
I think joining the reserves would help you grow up. Make you a more mature individual. That’s the positive.
I feel like the police explores and police cadet program will achieve roughly the same result seeing as they both care about my performance in and out of the classroom.

edensvj

Stupid Teenager
Just do well in school and in everything you encounter in life. Have a plan A, plan B, and plan C. Don't be afraid to fail. Have a dream, but don't approach it with blinders on.
The problem I’m having currently is forming these plans and keeping the blinders off but with everyone’s assistance this process has become much easier which I very much appreciate.