• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need a lot of help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bvyoung18

I have always had a passion for aviation and just the Navy in general. Like many others, it was always my dream to become a commissioned officer and fly. However, I don't have the greatest vision in the world, so I never investigated too deeply into the situation. I am 21 and in college, but my direction is somewhat scattered. I began reading and found out that the Navy allows for less than perfect vision for their pilots. It seems like though I keep getting varied answers about the exact vision requirements and methods of correction. Also, I was wondering the steps I need to go through in order to become an officer and hopefully fly one day. I would contact my local recruiters office, but my brother enlisted about a year ago and my mother was less than trilled and I don't really want to get her wrath if the recruiter starts calling my house again, haha. So, I figured that I would start here for now. I know that I have to get a bachelor degree before I can proceed, but is there stuff I should be doing in the meantime and what will I need to do after....? If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
what is your vision? Get involved in leadership positions at school. Do real well in school. Make yourself stand out to a selection board.

aeronerd

Hummer guy
You will need to complete your degree with a good GPA, Score well on the ASTB (a test the officer recruiter will give you you) and pass a PRT (physical readiness test). The PRT consists of a 1.5 mile run, sit-ups, and push-ups. The latter two will be timed in two minutes. In addition, you'll need to pass a physical, which will include an eye test. If your vision is bad, the Navy will grant waivers for PRK eye surgery. The surgery must be done 6 months before you apply, and must correct your vision to 20/20. However, the navy will not pay for PRK.

You'll also have to fill out security questionaires, and get several recommendations. The process takes much longer than you'd expect, so start early if this is what you want to do.

There's no "cookie-cutter" formula to getting a pilot slot. Many applicants have civilian pilot licenses, and some dont have any flight time. Many different majors are accepted as well. The real test will be the ASTB. This will show the Navy if you're qualified to fly.

If you don't want the Officer recruiter calling your house, try getting his email and communicating with him/her that way. You'll have to touch base with them eventually.

Good luck.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd say your best bet is a recruiter. Enlisting and applying for an officer candidate program are totally different and they're usually handled by different people. There's so many people trying to get into the service these days that you'll probably have to call your recruiter more often than he calls you.

Like it or not, recruiters have the most accurate, complete, and up-to-date information. Airwarriors is a great place to get started, but if you're really serious about getting into a pilot program I would sit down and talk it over with an officer recruiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.