• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need a little help!

Tombstone

Hey guys it is tombstone and I have some questions for you people! I am currently a Senior at Western Kentucky University, studying Management and have a 3.0 GPA! I am applying for a pilot slot for the Navy through OCS. I have taken the ASTB and recieved a 4/5/4/ 40 on the first time through and am taking it again, of course! Just would like to know if there are any other testing material that can help me, because my recruiter told me the only thing that is really hurting me is my score because everything else besides my test score and somewhat my GPA is very good! Please help me in anyway if you all can!

Most Appreciated,
Tombstone

Lawman

None
Tombstone.... did you read a lot of Keith Douglass books when you were in Jr. High/ Highschool?

Also if you can pull a 3.0 at BG you have the ability to get prepaired enough for the ASTB with the guide Captain Ron just gave you. The test isnt really hard its more that there are sections of stuff that Average Joe has no knowledge in. Just dont go in unprepaired as you are limited on retakes.

Lawman

None
Hes a former SWO that started writting bad paperback Clancy type novels. One of his characters had the callsign "Tombstone" just a guess.

Tombstone

Actually the nickname tombstone was given to me by my fathers friends! Who are all in the funeral buisiness with my father! So that is how I got it! But still you learn something new everyday!

Tombstone

SHIIITTTT! I never yell hell I just need to get my point across sometime!

I can see you are very upset? YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN ME REALLY UPSET!!
"Tom Cruise, Mission Impossible"

jokerusn

Flying a desk...
pilot
I'm not sure how the OCS spots are decided but the ASTB shouldn't be a breaker for a pilot spot. It is supposed to be just a pass/fail type of test. Your scores give you passing grades for pilot but not for NFO. I work at the Naval Academy in the office that administers the ASTB so we all have to get familiar with what the rules are. If you do take it again, it's the newest score that matters. Even if you aced the first one and rocked the second, the rock score counts and you're screwed. We always tell the mids that if they pass the test, not to retake it. Usually, there is something else in the mid's record to keep them from getting a pilot spot.

BUT, like I said, I'm not sure how they decide for OCS so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. Whatever you do, good luck!

Tombstone

Jokerusn,

So do you think I should take it again or just sudmit my package? Or should I go ahead and take it again? Is there anyway you can find out what the deal is with the OCS scores. That would be awesome if you could because all I want to do is fly. I have no desire to be an NFO. Also my recruiter is not very helpful with the kind of scores I need for OCS Aviation so any help would be awesome!

Tombstone

speeddypat

None
hey tombstone,
the way i understand the scores is a little while ago they turned the astb into basically pass/no pass for the academy and rotc, but they are still important for OCS... my recruiter said to shoot for at least the 50's and 6/6/6 at the very least for a pilot spot, although everyone's different ya know? I would suggest just using the gouge and arco book and study hard for a short while, and you'll do great, let me know if you have any questions.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
The ASTB scores you presented may not be competative enough to be accepted into a pilot program through OCS. Many of the people on this board that are accepted have 6's across the board and >50 on the OAR score.

You can do a search on here for the thread that has everyone's scores and who did and didn't get accepted. This should provide a good idea. You can also check the Selectee Stats board of the navy OCS website: http://www.usnavyocs.com/portal/index.php

You will need to take the test again, and word has it that the information in the Airwarriors study guide has helped quite a few people get good scores.

Good Luck.

Tombstone

Thanks for the help guys. That is kinda what everyone else has said so I appreciate everything. Please keep sending info as it comes up. I am still preparing for the astb so if you here of any good strategies out there shoot them my way!

Tombstone