• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy vs Air Force

Air Squire

Live Free or Die
Howdy everyone! First, I just want to say thanks to everyone for a great site full of lots of helpful facts! I've been a longtime reader. This is my first post, so here goes.

I'm in an aviation class in college, Fundamentals of Aviation, and my professor is a recently retired Air Force Colonel. He was a fighter jet pilot, and he's got that "Lord of the Sky" mentality. He's always cracking jokes about the only aircrafts in the sky being "jets and targets". That's all in good fun, but when he starts cracking jokes about the Navy, I'd like to have something to crack back with! I'm planning on joining after college (BDCP and all that). Anyone have any good one-liners about the Air Force?

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Just be glad you're not sitting in you're NROTC-mandated PoliSci course where the prof feels the need to let everyone know he's a card-carrying Communist on day one. Then backs it up by leading protests in the quad after the Chinese Embassy bombing.

Or the HIST course on Vietnam where the main text is the memoir of a Marine ground pounder (A Rumor of War - Phil Caputo; probably the first college text I ACTUALLY read); yet the prof likes to pontificate on how much more HE knows, because being there is no substitute for studying it in books.

But, I don't recommend dueling with a retired O-6 if you've never even smelled salt air. Besides, the greatest Air Force bashes are the ones that you come up with after seeing them in action.

He knows he was in the Chair Force, every time he squats to pee he's reminded.

HuggyU2

None
Oh boy: another post on making USAF jokes.
I'm so excited to see how this pans out. :icon_slee

I look forward to these threads like a sharp stick in the eye. :banghead_

AirSquire, just curious: what did he fly, and what years was he on active duty? What school are you at?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But, I don't recommend dueling with a retired O-6 if you've never even smelled salt air. Besides, the greatest Air Force bashes are the ones that you come up with after seeing them in action.

What he said. Talking smack is an earned privilege, not a right. Just mark him down in your mental list of Zoomies you'll talk about one day when you've got wings of your own. :D

rookie7734

None
My Dad is a retired Lt.Col., Air Force. He was a bombadier/navigator during WWII, flew F-86's during Korea, and F-100's and F-105's during Viet Nam. His second tour in Viet Nam, he was assigned as a bird dog pilot, flying a piper cub, low and slow over the tree tops to pin point the Viet Cong and radio in the big birds for a napalm run. The Viet Cong knew what those bird dogs pilots were doing and shots lots of holes in them. My Dad said he never returned to base without maintenance having to repair the wings.

With all his time in the air, after he returned from Viet Nam and found out that I was going Naval Air, his only comment was, "do you know that you'd have to take off and land on a ship bouncing up and down in the middle of the ocean?" "Who would do that?" My comment to my Dad..."Naval Aviators!"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My Dad is a retired Lt.Col., Air Force. He was a bombadier/navigator during WWII, flew F-86's during Korea, and F-100's and F-105's during Viet Nam. His second tour in Viet Nam, he was assigned as a bird dog pilot, flying a piper cub, low and slow over the tree tops to pin point the Viet Cong and radio in the big birds for a napalm run. The Viet Cong knew what those bird dogs pilots were doing and shots lots of holes in them. My Dad said he never returned to base without maintenance having to repair the wings.

Your dad's resume almost exactly mirrors a close friend of the family who was also my civilian CFI. Retired Colonel, flew as a radioman in TBMs during WWII, then flew P-51s and F-86s in Korea. Flew -105s and flew w/ the Ravens in Birddogs during Vietnam. I bet they probably knew one another.

x8lopez8x

I'm pretty sure i'm in this same class.... Metro State College? Professor Mock? Mon and Wed class? Mornings. I was thinking the same thing listening to how great the air force is all day is getting old.

Air Squire you must be one of the other two that said you wanted to be a Naval Aviator after college.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
With all his time in the air, after he returned from Viet Nam and found out that I was going Naval Air, his only comment was, "do you know that you'd have to take off and land on a ship bouncing up and down in the middle of the ocean?" "Who would do that?" My comment to my Dad..."Naval Aviators!"

Not if you fly P-3's or E-6's :)

Air Squire

Live Free or Die

:eek: It'll be all in good fun. I don't think you need to have been a sea dog for 6 years before you can have a little pride in one branch or another. I am looking forward to having my own stories to tell about though...

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
:eek: It'll be all in good fun. I don't think you need to have been a sea dog for 6 years before you can have a little pride in one branch or another. I am looking forward to having my own stories to tell about though...
While you're at it, tell him about all the traps you've logged on MS Flight Simulator.:icon_mi_6

Air Squire

Live Free or Die
I'm pretty sure i'm in this same class.... Metro State College? Professor Mock? Mon and Wed class? Mornings. I was thinking the same thing listening to how great the air force is all day is getting old.

Air Squire you must be one of the other two that said you wanted to be a Naval Aviator after college.

Yup. Same class. Mock is a cool guy, and you've really got to admire the old basterd, despite his jawing about the Air Force.

He said he flew the 102s didn't he?

x8lopez8x

he said 102s but there was a few others too. I'd rather have him as a teacher for this class relating to military avaition opposed to other class relating to flying commercial only.

The thing is this teacher was Navy but then transfered to the air force because he saw a plane come in too low for a carrier landing and hit the deck.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Yup. Same class. Mock is a cool guy, and you've really got to admire the old basterd, despite his jawing about the Air Force.

He said he flew the 102s didn't he?

Old bastard? Maybe thats something you'd say in the presence of your friends at school, but I'm not sure you've earned that privilege here. Air Force or not, a retired service member deserves respect and referring to someone as an "old bastard" certainly doesn't do that.