• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy using a laser for Point Defense

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
I can think of a few cool ideas using it during counter-piracy.

mtaylor

Meatgazer
I think it's safe to say that this laser operates in a visible red spectrum, if it's in a visible blue spectrum, we know that it's the enemy. That's just common sense...

The laser is actually invisible to the naked eye because its in the infrared spectrum.

And for everyone worried about being blinded as this thing swings around wildly on the deck, I'm sure the laser won't be emitted until the target has been tracked and focused upon, then fired at.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......And for everyone worried about being blinded as this thing swings around wildly on the deck, I'm sure the laser won't be emitted until the target has been tracked and focused upon, then fired at.

That is probably what the manual, the manufacturer and the Navy say but I am willing to bet that the thing ain't completely 'sailor proof'.

mtaylor

Meatgazer
That is probably what the manual, the manufacturer and the Navy say but I am willing to bet that the thing ain't completely 'sailor proof'.

Hah well fair enough. But the same way of thinking applies to any other weapon on a ship.
When the big guns on an old battleship were going to fire, they didn't start shooting as they rotated and swung around prior to being on target. They swung around, got on target, and then fired. Laser will be the same.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hah well fair enough. But the same way of thinking applies to any other weapon on a ship.
When the big guns on an old battleship were going to fire, they didn't start shooting as they rotated and swung around prior to being on target. They swung around, got on target, and then fired. Laser will be the same.

They also warned folks to get off deck when firing the guns but that didn't always happen, you can ask Doug Hegdahl about that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And for everyone worried about being blinded as this thing swings around wildly on the deck, I'm sure the laser won't be emitted until the target has been tracked and focused upon, then fired at.

I've been standing in combat and watching the Shoes continuously lase a target (with Americans onboard) while our helo was also flying in the field of fire/view. Fortunately it was eye-safe and I immediately asked and had them break out the pub. No one could actually definitively say it was eye-safe until they broke out the pub and prove it.

Never underestimate the silliness of the Shoes.

mtaylor

Meatgazer
Well that's just bad headwork... How can you know which lasers are the bad guy lasers and which one are the good guy lasers?!?

Haha. I'm just quoting the article that was originally posted.

I've been standing in combat and watching the Shoes continuously lase a target (with Americans onboard) while our helo was also flying in the field of fire/view. Fortunately it was eye-safe and I immediately asked and had them break out the pub. No one could actually definitively say it was eye-safe until they broke out the pub and prove it.

What is the "pub"?
And "shoe" are you referring to brown shoes or black shoes? I am guessing black if you're talking about Surface Warfare Officers?

And which laser were they using? This one? I didn't know it was already in-service. Cool

BigRed389

None

What's that quote from the Caine Mutiny? About the Navy being designed by geniuses to be run by idiots?

You shouldn't have had to ask if the laser was eye safe. The folks that designed it knew we'd go do something silly like zapping helos...or sea gulls.

More seriously, shoes don't have laser safety programs. I can't imagine the Safety Center letting anything that's not eye safe out in the Fleet without jamming a laser safety program along with it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
More seriously, shoes don't have laser safety programs. I can't imagine the Safety Center letting anything that's not eye safe out in the Fleet without jamming a laser safety program along with it.

Serious question... Does the Block 1 CWIS not have a LRF on it? I figured that thing would be powerful enough to be a Class 3x or better, but maybe not.

Your statement is actually kind of amusing, because after I sat there thinking for a minute trying to rebut it, I realized I hadn't actually seen anything that wouldn't be anthing more than annoying to anyone. I don't think I've even seen a (conventional) Shoe with a PEQ/IZLID.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Pub=Publication

Shoes= Black shoes (ALWAYS!)

Sensor was TIS, a horrible FLIR with no maintenance support coupled with an awesome DTV camera with LRF.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

Visible moisture won't reflect a 16 inch shell back to the firing platform, you can't say the same for a laser.