• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy using a laser for Point Defense

BackOrdered

Contributor
So, does everyone on the ship need laser eye protection?
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/04/08/navy-unveils-drone-killing-laser-video

How about every ship in the area when you fire this thing off?

We're going to start using lasers in the Gulf... what's the worst that could happen????

This part is what I can get behind:

"The Navy's top officer unveiled new technology Monday that allows ships to shoot down drones or other vehicles for about the cost of a pack of gum."

And the railgun already virtually buys itself each use compared to a Tomahawk. I hope we get to see both fully operational and underway in my lifetime.

BigRed389

None

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
In other news, the Navy saves even more money as the ship's gunner now has the collateral duty of fun boss....

BigRed389

None
Until we start blinding 20,000 fishermen in the Gulf or in C7F AO!!

Would you prefer we throw 20mm rounds their way? Water shots with flat trajectories can cause some pretty wicked ricochet patterns.

And I assure you, a CIWS trying to shoot down a missile does not give two shits about background shipping.

So a problem to be considered, sure. But if the situation has you employing a point defense weapon, your priorities in life have probably shifted drastically.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Wonder what the NOHD and beam divergence for that thing is. I don't see how we would be blinding anyone with it unintentionally.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
CentCom is the biggest laser safe range in the world so I think they're covered. And the 3710 says I shall wear LEP. Don't you wear LEP?