• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

DairyCreamer

Appears his first command was of the brig "John" when he was 21.

Originally posted by nittany03
Here's one a little less aviation related. Which Navy ships did John Paul Jones command?

~Nate

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True. I meant Continental Navy actually, though, not British. My bust for misphrasing the question.
dunce_125.gif
banghead_125.gif
Hint: there's four of them.

twidget

Deskaholic
I might hose this up bad, but I'm going to guess one of them. Wasn't John Paul Jones the Captain of the Bonhomme Richard which defeated the pride of the British Navy Serapis?

I hope I didn't confuse any major points. Sometimes the details don't come together quite right in my head. At least I didn't say: "JPJ was famous for saying "Don't fire till you see the whites of their eyes" in the Battle of Midway, and then went on to defeat the HMS Turtle in the Battle of the Bulge while commanding the USS Monitor"

Sorry, I'm really tired right now.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Willie Driscoll was Cunningham's RIO and he was awarded the Navy Cross as well. I have met both men a couple of times when I was stashed at TOPGUN in 93, awaiting flight school.

Sorry Bunk, I was going off a photo that showed Cunningham with a Navy Cross and Driscoll with a Silver Star. As for your stash time at Top Gun, how did you enjoy beautiful Socal? It is a hell of a lot better than the high desert of Nevada....

Getting back to Navy trivia, what was the first nuclear powered surface ship in the US Navy?

twidget

Deskaholic
Here's one a little less aviation related. Which Navy ships did John Paul Jones command?

1. Shipped on brig John. Navigates it home when captain and mate die of yellow fever. Made master and supercargo.
2. The Betsy (though not as John Paul Jones. He took the surname 'Jones' after coming to America.)
3. The Alfred
4. Providence

Assigned to command French ship Amphitrite arriving in Portsmouth, NH, but arrangement falls through due to miscommunication.

5. The Ranger
6. Bonhomme Richard
7. Alliance
8. loaned French ship Ariel
9. Triomphante

Given command of ship America in Portsmouth, which he finds only half built. Pushes builder John Langdon to complete work while studying and enjoying social life in Revolutionary NH. After more than a year of work, Jones is told by Congress that he will not receive command, that instead, the America will be given to France.

That's 9 not counting the 2 ships he was given command, but never sailed.

Above info gratuitously cut-and-pasted from http://seacoastnh.com/jpj/life.html

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow. That's what I get for asking a question I thought I knew the answer to!
boggled_125.gif
I thought I was just looking for Ranger, Alfred, Bonhomme Richard, and Serapis. Oh, well. That's how you learn.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Flash
Sorry Bunk, I was going off a photo that showed Cunningham with a Navy Cross and Driscoll with a Silver Star. As for your stash time at Top Gun, how did you enjoy beautiful Socal? It is a hell of a lot better than the high desert of Nevada....

Getting back to Navy trivia, what was the first nuclear powered surface ship in the US Navy?

Well hell, maybe you're right. I simply remember reading that both were awarded the Navy Cross. Could be wrong if you saw the silver star.

Growing up in SoCal, TOPGUN was a great place to be stashed. Moving back to North Island in May; can't wait!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crowbar,
Not really what I was looking for...Here's what I read about a year ago.
Lewis B. Puller (as a young 2nd or 1st LT) was told not to be too Chesty. Meaning 'don't be so cocky' and he maintained his "Chesty" behavior and the nickname stuck!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

If I can find the book, I'll be happy to cite my source....if you want!

twidget

Deskaholic
Wow. That's what I get for asking a question I thought I knew the answer to!
boggled_125.gif
I thought I was just looking for Ranger, Alfred, Bonhomme Richard, and Serapis. Oh, well. That's how you learn.

That's for sure. I learned a lot more about JPJ trying to find the answer. Reminds me of one of the great artists; he was never appreciated in his own time.

Some amazing facts about the "Father of the American Navy":

Oct
Despite best sea record, Jones is #18 on list of captains commissioned by the Continental Navy.

Was unpaid for his naval service for over 5 years.

In 1783 and again in 1787 he petitioned Congress, unsuccessfully, for advanced rank and back-pay.
censored_125.gif

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok more trivia...some of the guys here wanted to know... what is the max G you can pull in the T-45?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now when you say max...please define:
-Max G's until Airframe failure?
-Max Allowed by NATOPS?
-Max G's ever put on a T-34 and survived (~6-7G's in a T-Storm)??

ea6bflyr
icon_smile_wink.gif

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
actually I mean max G pulled in the break..... and what class mishap would it be if you over-G'ed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.