• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Navy to end ending all enlisted ratings!

Pags

N/A
pilot
I truly wonder whether this rateless change will ever take hold from a cultural standpoint. From what I'm observing around my squadron, people are still referring to each other by their rates. The "Petty Officer First Class so and so" banter is tongue in cheek. The PR shop is still the PR shop, and the folks who work in 230 are still the Ordies. It will take years to change the way our people take advancement exams. I sense a service-wide slow roll... and I'm OK with that.
Had a meeting today with some Aviators. Everyone used rates as though nothing had changed.

jtmedli

pilot
Yesterday was the first time I've flown since the policy release. I heard several amusing calls over the radio to include, "can you please send out a person formally known as an AT..." I've continue to find new reasons why this is dumb every day.

We've been doing the same. I went to signal for a troubleshooter yesterday and ended up doing the YMCA dance to spell out "P.E.T.T.Y. O.F.F.I.C.E.R.". It wen't over pretty well with the boys on the line.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett called it!

Ultimately, the decision was made by Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, whom multiple source describe as eager to announce the new policy before his impending departure after more than seven years atop the sea service.

It does make one wonder whether this was fast tracked to get it out there prior to Jan 20th.

Credit for the change, I suppose.

P.S. Even Fester is mentioned...:D

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the article, it sounds like Maybus opted for the throw away COA.

Edit: It also strikes me that in former MCPON Stevens' zeal to "lead this change," he neglected his most sacred duty - advocate for the service and our Sailors.

Last edited:

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I am so very fucking tired of those that have forgotten, or have never experienced, life in the fleet for the modern day Sailor.
Sorry, the Navy is only Congress, Senate, and brass that has no fucking clue, O3 and below no longer exist!

OldNavy

Brett called it!

Ultimately, the decision was made by Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, whom multiple source describe as eager to announce the new policy before his impending departure after more than seven years atop the sea service.

P.S. Even Fester is mentioned...:D

Considering some of his recent "improvements", I don't think he was so much "atop" the sea service as he was behind it.

BenDog

I think change is inevitable, for some, it might be good. HOWEVER, Seeing as how I retired 1 Sep, I am, and will remain an Aviation Machinist Mate Chief.

The thing that got me going is the loss of the "identity" within the various old rating groups. Seabees, Aviation, etc. In addition, will this mean they can take the brown shoes away from the aviation types that will earn it after all this takes effect? It happened once back in the 80's. Just sayn......

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...In addition, will this mean they can take the brown shoes away from the aviation types that will earn it after all this takes effect? It happened once back in the 80's. Just sayn......

Brown shoes are an optional uniform item for everyone.