• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy T-6's

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighFlyer55

Anyone know when the Navy and USMC are gonna start getting the T-6's? Also after API is it true that all the guys with prior flight time go to Vance AFB?

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
The brief we got on the T-6 is sometime in the 2008 timeframe (give or take a year or so. VT-10 is being outfitted first and then the Air Force before the Navy. As for Vance, I seriously doubt if prior flight time has anything to do with it.

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
you might go to vance if you have hella flight time. but even then it's not assured. i've seen some dudes with their multi-engine/instrument tickets come to corpus..

beau

Splinter,

What does having your multi/instrument have to do with Corpus?....Since when was civilian time ever an issue as to where you trained?

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
TBS is where it mattered. They (MATSG) try to determine who's going to Vance by determining who has the most hours (it's the whole competitive edge thing). Theoretically, if you have a ton of flight hours, then you SHOULD do well in Primary Flight Training. Therefore, you will do well amongst your peers (the Air Force) and "represent" your service. Of course, when I was there last year (with Splinter) they allowed some guys/girls to report in early (they needed some people to start API immediately) to NAS Pensacola with the bonus that they could have their first pick as to where they wanted to attend Primary. This way those with beauceau hours could avoid being sent to Vance. But, mind you, there were people in our company with hundreds of hours. Some people go to these aviation colleges and rack up tons of flight time and all sorts of ratings. If you do this, be prepared to spend some time in Butthole --- I mean Enid, Oklahoma. Unless you're fortunate enough to work out the same kind of deal these ladies and gents did.

Dave Shutter

Highflyer...I think you got some info through a grapevine somewhere. You can go to Moody and fly the T6 with the AF but (this is what I was told in API last summer) you have to have some prior flight time. They actually had a hard time getting guys to go when they strated, a lot of gouge about being JPATS guinea pigs. I've since met a few guys who've done Primary there and then come to WF for helos and they said it was amazing. Yes, the T-6 can hang by it's prop and yes, this maneuver is strictly verboten! Crazy schedule though: 3 events a day, 12-16 hours at the SQDN and the most remarkable thing I've heard is you don't study after ground school: you go to work and learn everything by doing. Bad thing I've heard is that you hardly ever brief your IP, he briefs you, and that can bite you in the ass when you come back for Navy advanced and have to give two hour briefs. Just what I was told though.

HighFlyer55

Thanks for the info Dave. I think i am gonna try to avoid Moody or Vance simply because that way I dont have to fly the AF way and then come and then adjust back to the Navy way. Any tips on how to avoid ending up with AF PAP? I have my private and instrument ratings which is not a ton of flight time, but i am sure it might be enough to get me to sent to Vance or Moody.

Dave Shutter

HighFlyer...Navy guys dread going to the AF bases because there's so much negative gouge about them but I honestly have yet to hear someone say they flat out hated it. If anything I notice Vance/Moody guys saying they think the AF way is better. But really, you shouldn't worry about it, when I say that only a handful of people go there, I mean a HANDFUL. Maybe one Navy/MC guy out a an API class of thirty will go, maybe. As for where you'll end up: out of your hands. Ask for CC or WF and you'll probably get it, very few people go to the AF but they do have to send X number of guys. In fact, a lot of people WANT to go to Vance or Moody for different reasons and they're usually the ones to volunteer for it. Whenever none of them are around people get picked, and usually they're the ones with hours which you're asked to document on your student info sheet when you get to API.

As for your flight time, you may not have a lot compared to the guys down at your local airfield, but as for your fellow SNA's you'll probably find that you have more than all but a few. Most have none. Some have PPL's or maybe twenty something hours (like me) but the guys with the mountains of hours are usually the Embry-Riddle grads or the guy whose Dad owns a plane. Not a whole lot of them around. It is enough to get you out of IFS though, I think if you have 40 or more hours you're DQ'd. Pretty much everyone goes nowadays and I'm hearing mixed opinions on wether it helped or hurt. I can't see how it'd hurt, but I never did it.

Again, don't worry about where you go, really. Flexibility is a necessity because odds are you won't like some of the assignments you get anyway, and this ones only for a few months. I remember a friend who was hell bent on CC because he hated P-cola, heard horror stories about WF and believed CC was his best shot at getting PCS orders to K-rock. I Ran into him in the academic building at WF the other day wearing an HT patch. He thanked God he was back in P-cola, hated every minute of CC, and after 6 mnths of flying (never flew before) he was begging for Helos. You never know what will happen (or wether or not you'll like it when it does) so just do your best and Semper Gumby.

HighFlyer55

Pap and Dave
thanks for all of your help, i really appreciate it. My attitude right now is to just make the best of where ever I end of going and to just work as hard as I can.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I know a pretty sure fire way to stay in WF. Get married. They tend to work with the married guys first (avoid any undue stresses on the family). At least for the Marines.

beau

Originally posted by Pap
Having flight time does not guarantee that you will end up with the AF. But it sure gets a lot of people sent to Vance or Moody.

All I can say is do everything in your power to avoid ending up with the AF. YUCK!!
bouncy_125.gif

Thats weird. My buddies down in API right now all seem to be going to corpus after API and they have as the same hours I do with the same ratings (250-300 Hrs, Commerical, single and multi-engine Instrument land). What gives? I'm sure it does not matter with IFS anymore......and "good" gouge on this out there? (hoping not to come back to OK for Primary!, Four years of College was enought)

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.