• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Search and Rescue Swimmer Question

John Callahan

Hello everyone, I am 20 years old and looking to join the navy as a SAR swimmer. However, I have never been on a swim team or swam competivily in my life, but i do know how to swim and am confident in my abilities to get into shape. I was wondering if there are any rescue swimmers who did not have any competitive swimming experience before joining the navy or if it is an extremely uncommon occurence to have someone without any prior swimming experience join the SAR program?

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
In an effort to NOT repeat myself from the thread that Hozer linked (Search IS your friend), I will answer the question about prior swimming experience. When I went through RSS (July-August 1983), I had not been a competitive swimmer nor been on a swim team nor anything remotely related. I was just a kid who liked the water and could hold my own. I did not join the Navy to be a Rescue Swimmer. I joined to be an Aircrewman. Indeed, I was FORCED to become a swimmer, as coming out of AW 'A' School I was awarded my second choice in platform, HSL (back then, one of your choices in platform HAD to be Helos if you were found to have decent (20/40?) vision and good depth perception). Also, when I went through RSS (run by HC-1 at NASNI vice the Aviation Schools Command at NASP), DOR was not an option. If you failed out, you were then sent to the Fleet as an undesignated Airman. A fate worse-than-death to those of us who wanted to fly. Especially as it usually meant you were sent to an aircraft carrier as ship's company to chock-and-chain airplanes.

With all that being said, I was able to hack RSS without a deep swimming (see what I did there) background. I don't think anybody in my RSS class had a swimming background. That school is more about mental toughness anyway as your preceding time at NACCS gets you into shape physically. Like most anecdotes about Navy training you will find on this site, a good attitude and mental toughness is all you really need to succeed.

Good luck.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I didn't have any swimming experience. You just gotta show up and do work...

Without reading the other thread, I was never a competitive swimmer either, but I made it through the training (I was a strong swimmer though).