• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Reserves Intelligence Reserve Program

becks104

Hey all,
I have read recently that Intel Reserves are particularly needed: (link)
I am not prior military and I don't have "intelligence experience" but I do have a degree in Political Science with a concentration in Middle Eastern studies and 4 semesters of Arabic. Is there a possibility they would consider me for SELRES? I also will be graduating in May with a Masters Degree in Healh Administration and a Masters in Health Informatics (IT). I know they have SELRES for that, does anyone know if there is accelerated rank associated with advanced degrees? Thanks and sorry for the multi-part question :)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey all,
I have read recently that Intel Reserves are particularly needed: (link)
I am not prior military and I don't have "intelligence experience" but I do have a degree in Political Science with a concentration in Middle Eastern studies and 4 semesters of Arabic. Is there a possibility they would consider me for SELRES? I also will be graduating in May with a Masters Degree in Healh Administration and a Masters in Health Informatics (IT). I know they have SELRES for that, does anyone know if there is accelerated rank associated with advanced degrees? Thanks and sorry for the multi-part question :)

Yes the Intel folks would like to look at you. As for the health care field, you would have a good shot at that too. Can't member if they give you Ltjg or not. I do not believe you get any advanced rank for a Masters in the Medical Service Corps program. You definitely have options call a recruiter.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it true that to become and Inter Officer your immediate family has to be US Citizens

YES! For Intel and IW "All family members, close friends and associates must be US or naturalized US citizens."

I know the "close friends and associates" part sounds particularly extreme, but that is an exact quote. Call a recruiter, he will back me up on this.
There was a guy here on AW that had to deal with the fact that a house mate was a non US citizen. The house mate was definitely not a close friend, but was that considered an "associate". He had no relationship with the guy besides the fact he rented a room from his brother, the home owner.

becks104

thanks

Thanks Wink,
I will be calling a recruiter shortly and I'll let you all know how it goes. I think I have a better shot at the Healthcare side then the intel, but I am curious to see if they think i would be competitive. If I was deemed competitive for SELRES in intel I think I would jump on it. Anyone know the likelihood of being deployed within one year of signing up? I am not at all opposed to being deployed just not that quickly since I will be starting a brand new job.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks Wink,
I will be calling a recruiter shortly and I'll let you all know how it goes. I think I have a better shot at the Healthcare side then the intel, but I am curious to see if they think i would be competitive. If I was deemed competitive for SELRES in intel I think I would jump on it. Anyone know the likelihood of being deployed within one year of signing up? I am not at all opposed to being deployed just not that quickly since I will be starting a brand new job.

Took a look at the program yesterday and it seems there is not any advanced pay grade for the Masters in the MSC Reserve program. You come in as an Ensign.

You will not be deployed with in a year. Before you are eligible for recall and deployment you have to serve a certain number of active duty days first. Don't remeber how many days that is. I think it is better then 30. Since a selres is only funded for two weeks active duty a year, and you would need to attend certain required schools during your first couple active duty periods. It is very unlikely they would call you in the first two years.

Good luck.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
From the public web site listed above:
Anyone with a recruiting prospect is asked to contact CAPT Gary Powers...
Just beware, if anyone calls him Francis, he'll kill you.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
You will not be deployed with in a year. Before you are eligible for recall and deployment you have to serve a certain number of active duty days first. Don't remeber how many days that is. I think it is better then 30. Since a selres is only funded for two weeks active duty a year, and you would need to attend certain required schools during your first couple active duty periods. It is very unlikely they would call you in the first two years.
I happen to have some dated-yet-amusing knowledge of these requirements. To be "deployable" or "mobilizable", an intel officer has to have a 9600 NOBC - that's Naval Officer Billet Classification. This is basically a code appended to your name in personnel records that says "This guy has been through enough training and certification to not be a complete oxygen thief in a real Navy situation." The requirements to get a 9600 NOBC are pretty straightforward, and can be found here:

http://neds.daps.dla.mil/Directives...eneral Military Personnel Records/1001.25.pdf

The gist of these requirements is that you need to complete "Basic Reserve Intel Training" (1 year of drills), you need to complete the Reserve version of the Naval Intel Officers Basic Course (a 2-week Annual Training event), you need 12 months experience in a "production" unit, a completed SSBI, and have completed a Navy Information Assurance Course. The takeway is that it would generally take you at *least* two years of drilling to knock out these requirements - only then would you be considered eligible. And quite frankly, at that point you are still not exactly a salty intel pro, so your value in the Sandbox would probably be minimal - they would likely be looking for LTs or higher. So don't quote me, but you'd be likely pretty safe from mobilization for a good while.

The amusing part? Way back when, 5 months after raising my hand as a Direct Commission officer, and after having precisely 10 days cumulative (all weekends) in the Navy, and following a hilarious series of mis-communications (none of which were my fault...), I found myself flying in the ROZ in Turkey on my first ONW deployment. Way too long a story for public consumption, but needless to say I did *not* have a 9600 NOBC, and the repercussions when I got back were not amusing. (Well, sort of amusing, in a train wreck sort of way...) :icon_tong

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
YES! For Intel and IW "All family members, close friends and associates must be US or naturalized US citizens."

I know the "close friends and associates" part sounds particularly extreme, but that is an exact quote. Call a recruiter, he will back me up on this.
There was a guy here on AW that had to deal with the fact that a house mate was a non US citizen. The house mate was definitely not a close friend, but was that considered an "associate". He had no relationship with the guy besides the fact he rented a room from his brother, the home owner.

Does that apply to guys who are already in? There are plenty of guys at my work married to foreign nationals, including me :D.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does that apply to guys who are already in? There are plenty of guys at my work married to foreign nationals, including me :D.
No. In fact, just for clarity, there is an exception to the foreign association rule for folks that have skills vital to national security. Native Arabic speakers are the classic example. CNRC, however, does not consider exceptions because it is so very unlikely they will see someone that meets the requirements applying for a commission. It also increases the time and cost of getting the newbie a clearance. I expect that they see more exceptions in new recruits for the CT rating on the enlisted side.

To be clear though, in the context of an OCS applicant for Intel or IW, if you are married to a German citizen or your parents are still Chinese citizens, you will very likely be advised to pick another career field.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be clear though, in the context of an OCS applicant for Intel or IW, if you are married to a German citizen or your parents are still Chinese citizens, you will very likely be advised to pick another career field.
Just out of curiosity here, what is the deal with Germany. I understand why Chinese nationals as spouses can be considered not a good thing, but why German?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
It's because they bombed Pearl Harbor. After that, there was just no trusting them.