• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Rescue Swimmer Rates

exNavyOffRec

Yes I am referring to CSAR and the HS squadron on the ship I was on did practice it, I just happened to see it on the schedule once.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Yes I am referring to CSAR and the HS squadron on the ship I was on did practice it, I just happened to see it on the schedule once.

We have done it a few time in the last few years, but since isolating events are few and far between, it's a skill that we need to have but we fortunately have not had to execute much.

I will say that we have conducted far more CSAR missions than we have "dropped torpedoes in anger" or have conduct "air-to-air" in the last ten years...

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
I wanted to endorse what WarrenG mentioned about the AW rating being very qual-centric to the point where it still drives me to attain more quals in my civilian job. The AW shop was also the "go-to-ready-manpower -pool" for the entire squadron, including the majority of sqdn sports! All kidding aside being an AW was the best job I ever had or ever will have and being a rescue swimmer was just another qual to maintain. So, going to the pool, gym, basketball or beach volleyball court was in our job description:)
I think it is also likely the same in the Coast Guard, and with their smaller units I suspect that they get a lot of collateral duties that having nothing to do with flying. For the record, I was on 2 rescues and BOTH as the hoist operator/first crewman, TSO, crew chief or whatever they call them now...Oh and HS has been involved with CSAR since Viet Nam. Just look at HS-6s unit history, I believe on one of their "Yankee Station " cruises they lost 6 helicopters in 1967.

cstock

Hey all, any help here would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for exact instructions or requirements for SURFACE SAR swimmers. Is depth perception a requirement? I know for AWs it is, but can't find anything on surface swimmers. Any input helps, thanks in advance.