• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy PRK Stopped!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff29

Science Project
feddoc said:
I spoke with the head PRK doc a few weeks ago to ensure that my idea of some of my folks getting a priority 1 was within his standards. He told me that USN was indeed cutting back on PRK surgeries and that they would only consider locals up to a certain point in time then after that time (I don't recall what it was) all PRKs ....for the fiscal year would be halted.
Just wondering who this doc is. Is he in San Diego?

Dennyism

I was just at Portsmouth Medical last week, and not only is the program going strong, they have also streamlined the system so you can get in faster. I love the surgery, at first I was a bit rocky, but now I am below 20/15 in both eyes.

DS

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Jeff29 said:
Just wondering who this doc is. Is he in San Diego?

Yup, he is in San Diego

BTW, he is one of the head PRK guys, not the head PRK doc as I stated earlier.

Here is what he told me:

.......the BUMED comptroller has decided to cut our funding by 43% this year. This is an unplanned and unannounced reduction of funding that will cripple us by mid-february when we run out of treatment cards for the laser and are out of money. ....... What this means for the fleet is that unless you meet the protocol requirements for one of our studies, we cannot treat you. What that means for you guys is that since you don't live close enough to meet follow up requirements for any of our studies, we can't treat anyone from Lemoore, Fallon, China Lake... etc.

The above info was passed in January. Could be that more money has come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.