• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy PRK Stopped!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaiyanCivic

my roomate in my barracks just told me that PRK has been stopped due to lack of funding because all the money is going towards the war; straight from the horses mouth since he works at the clinic. the only way you can get PRK is if you somehow meet the experimental quals if you your vision is just right. this makes me angry because i have been on that list for 2 years now and now they are only bringing in 2 people a month from what my room mate told me... BLAH!!!

now my hopes of getting PRK through the military are shot. does anyone have any input?

SKSA (SW) Lowe

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Are you absolutely positive? I'd still try and check in and around and find any route to get it if you want it.

doctorjake

I just got PRK from the military a week ago. I'm stationed in Hawaii and they're pumping people through like crazy. It only took me one month to get the surgery from the time I turned in my paperwork.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
You can't go by what one person in one clinic said. As a former Medical Service Corps officer recently released from Hospital Hell, I can tell you that what is an absolute "rule" at one location may just be a CO's policy, and may not apply at other facilities with different populations to serve. I worked at one hospital that primarily served retirees. Was that a new Navy policy? No, it just happened that there were a lot more sick retirees in that location than sick active duty members. Give it time, and wait for official word, not what your buddy heard.

Penguin

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds suspect to me too. I'll believe it when I see it in a NAVADMIN.

Brett

nugget81

pilot
Even if it were true, that would simply mean that you may have to spend a little money to make your vision better. My PRK cost $2500 and it has been the best investment I've made yet...

SaiyanCivic

doctorjake said:
I just got PRK from the military a week ago. I'm stationed in Hawaii and they're pumping people through like crazy. It only took me one month to get the surgery from the time I turned in my paperwork.

WHAT... i know people that have been on the list in San Diego for 5 years +!!!!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ventasm said:
if you go civilian PRK, does that disqualify you somehow from being a naval aviator?
It did until very recently.

Brett

Pags

N/A
pilot
I had a roommate in college who got civilian PRK done while in NROTC. He's now a winged aviator.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I also got civilian PRK done; you have to get a waiver for the surgery when you go through your initial flight physical. Basically you provide the Navy with a bunch of paperwork and your surgery records, and they keep an eye on you. When I did it you had to get into a clinical study which would track your flight grades to get a basis for any statistical difference between PRK and non-PRK pilots. I could be wrong but I don't think the study is mandatory anymore. Might want to check that though.

twidget

Deskaholic
I was told the waiting list at Bethesda is over 2 years, no matter what priority your CO gives you on the referral. However, I just talked to a guy today that only spent 5 months on the waiting list before having PRK 2 weeks ago. He said there have been a lot of cancellations that bumped him up since he was only a Pri 4. Unfortunately, I have to wait another year to get on the list since my prescription changed too much since my last exam 2 years ago. :(

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
twidget said:
I was told the waiting list at Bethesda is over 2 years, no matter what priority your CO gives you on the referral. However, I just talked to a guy today that only spent 5 months on the waiting list before having PRK 2 weeks ago. He said there have been a lot of cancellations that bumped him up since he was only a Pri 4. Unfortunately, I have to wait another year to get on the list since my prescription changed too much since my last exam 2 years ago. :(
Aviators come pretty high in the whole priority scheme. Most of the guys in Whidbey had it done at Bremerton and I know several who only had to wait a couple weeks. All depends on where you are.

Brett

Jeff29

Science Project
Brett327 said:
It did until very recently.

Brett
I thought we dispelled this myth a few months ago.

For current aviators, you must have a Navy surgeon do the surgery (except for a few extreme circumstances). For all others (including those currently in the military), you can go to a civilian surgeon and still apply to the flight program. This has been the policy since October 2000.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I think what ventasm said is correct.

I spoke with the head PRK doc a few weeks ago to ensure that my idea of some of my folks getting a priority 1 was within his standards. He told me that USN was indeed cutting back on PRK surgeries and that they would only consider locals up to a certain point in time then after that time (I don't recall what it was) all PRKs ....for the fiscal year would be halted.

Looks like that time has come.

Status
Not open for further replies.