• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Officer released from custody

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Disliked he is getting special treatment and being released early.
No early release…

“Dislike” button here for that.

On another topic, I wonder if the navy will retain him?
Looks like he may serve the remainder of his time in a US prison:

“..he is being brought back to the US under an international prisoner convention which allows individuals to serve the remainder of their confinement in their home country. When Alkonis arrives back in the US, “he will go before an entity called the US parole commission within the Department of Justice, which will consider his case and make a determination about further confinement,” the official said.”

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
No early release…

Looks like he may serve the remainder of his time in a US prison:

“..he is being brought back to the US under an international prisoner convention which allows individuals to serve the remainder of their confinement in their home country. When Alkonis arrives back in the US, “he will go before an entity called the US parole commission within the Department of Justice, which will consider his case and make a determination about further confinement,” the official said.”

Realistically though, do you really think LT Alkonis will spend his remaining sentence in prison? I doubt it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can someone who knows read us in on The Rest of the Story? Because the Japanese dropping the hammer on a US officer for a car accident seems extreme, unless there’s more to it.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Can someone who knows read us in on The Rest of the Story? Because the Japanese dropping the hammer on a US officer for a car accident seems extreme, unless there’s more to it.
I don't have a personal connection, but when we deployed to Misawa a few years ago we were told that the Japanese take American driving violations very seriously. The fact that two people were killed likely makes it even worse.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Japanese prisons? I'd think their lighthearted prisons would be more severe than a Soviet gulag:D
After nearly two years in he should have a solid grasp on using karate in a gang setting and how to make a throwing star out of a noodle cup.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Sentenced to prison for 3 years for equivalent of reckless driving. Allegedly fell asleep at the wheel driving back from Mt Fuji and plowed into parked cars killing two Japanese nationals (elderly mother and son). Later, he claimed that he suffered from acute mountain sickness and blacked out as a result; even though his wife said that he fell asleep at the wheel when interviewed after the crash. Certain politicians in the states believe he got railroaded, loudly called for SOFA to renegotiated, he was denied constitutional due process etc. etc. That ignores that his sentencing was similar to what one could get in the United States, the SOFA doesn't guarantee constitutional rights, and that there didn't seem to be any major shortcomings in how the case was handled, just that they don't understand how the Japanese judicial system works. This exchange or whatever it is was probably the best outcome for the Japanese government to save face, and the US to bring a troop home.

My take is that when it comes to the military, there is the judicial system for those who can get on Fox News, and there is the judicial system for those who don't.

I don't have a personal connection, but when we deployed to Misawa a few years ago we were told that the Japanese take American driving violations very seriously. The fact that two people were killed likely makes it even worse.
Sometime in 2012 the SOFA was renegotiated such that any DUI (regardless of whether or not one was performing official duties or not) was a direct ticket to the Japanese criminal system, do not pass go.