• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Officer jobs and level of clearance

Fire17

If I already have a TS, does that give me a better chance to fly jets? or anything else? or is it just something that is "good to know" for the navy and ill just be put wherever

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If I already have a TS, does that give me a better chance to fly jets? or anything else? or is it just something that is "good to know" for the navy and ill just be put wherever

This is actually one of the first requirements they look at at STUCON when selecting people for Jets. It usually goes in this order:

-TS clearance
-vehicle type
-body type (no fatties or dogs)
-academic performance

and if they need a tie-beaker...

-sustained above "average" grades in the cockpit during training.

Yes, I'm being a smart ass. No one cares about a TS until much later in your journey.

Fire17

This is actually one of the first requirements they look at at STUCON when selecting people for Jets. It usually goes in this order:

-TS clearance
-vehicle type
-academic performance

Yes, I'm being a smart ass. No one cares about a TS until much later in your journey.

I was just asking if it helped with the process, more of a "what if"

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
No it does not. The only thing that helps you get jets is doing well in primary flight training, and then have your wishes match that of the needs of the Navy the week you finish and pipeline select. There is not a single thing you can do, as an applicant to the program, to better your chances. Well, maybe building good study habits and time management skills....

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
In other words, stop worrying about things that are out of your control. Smack the shit out of the closest alligator to the boat, which for you right now, is getting a PRO-REC. All of these guys, especially the ones with wings under their name, have them in real life so they've been where you are trying to get to right now. Take heed of their advice. I don't have wings (yet) but have been through the process and 2 years of flight school, so I can speak to a bit of it.

You will have plenty of crap to worry about if/when you get into the program AFTER getting through OCS and getting down to Pensacola. Everyone is being pretty nice about it, but your questions keep trending towards "I have XYZ, so what are my chances at getting ABC?" Do your best, make a kick ass application so the board will take you, make it through OCS first.

Not discouraging you from asking questions, but honestly, whether or not your clearance will help you (it won't as the others have said) has nothing to do with your application process nor will it help you as of now. It's good to want to think ahead, but take it a step/day at a time. I've seen other people plan out their entire career pre-OCS (when I was applying) only to be crushed after finding out they didn't get selected or they quit during OCS.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
On the other hand, that TS is really nice to have when you get out. So make sure that you get a Periodic Review the year before you leave active duty. Employers would rather train a guy with a TS than have to get a clearance for someone with training but no clearance. Someone once told me that the unemployment rate for people in the DC area with a current TS was less than 1% (much less).

Fire17

In other words, stop worrying about things that are out of your control. Smack the shit out of the closest alligator to the boat, which for you right now, is getting a PRO-REC. All of these guys, especially the ones with wings under their name, have them in real life so they've been where you are trying to get to right now. Take heed of their advice. I don't have wings (yet) but have been through the process and 2 years of flight school, so I can speak to a bit of it.

You will have plenty of crap to worry about if/when you get into the program AFTER getting through OCS and getting down to Pensacola. Everyone is being pretty nice about it, but your questions keep trending towards "I have XYZ, so what are my chances at getting ABC?" Do your best, make a kick ass application so the board will take you, make it through OCS first.

Not discouraging you from asking questions, but honestly, whether or not your clearance will help you (it won't as the others have said) has nothing to do with your application process nor will it help you as of now. It's good to want to think ahead, but take it a step/day at a time. I've seen other people plan out their entire career pre-OCS (when I was applying) only to be crushed after finding out they didn't get selected or they quit during OCS.

Thank you, I guess im just chomping at the bit here.

another question, should I wait until after I have graduated to apply to OCS? or can I apply sooner? On a previous threat I saw that the recruiters are working almost two fiscal years in the future... should I apply to OCS my Junior year so I could possibly have a spot when I graduate? how to I approach my OR with that?

On the other hand, that TS is really nice to have when you get out. So make sure that you get a Periodic Review the year before you leave active duty. Employers would rather train a guy with a TS than have to get a clearance for someone with training but no clearance. Someone once told me that the unemployment rate for people in the DC area with a current TS was less than 1% (much less).

That was one of the reasons I was asking, if I earn my commission and i work where I dont need a TS, I will lose my clearance, hurting my chances if I decide to get out of the navy, not that I see myself leaving the navy but I would like to keep my options open.

Thanks again for all your help, this forum has given me a ton of information and has shed light on the OCS and officer commissioning journey

robav8r

None
Contributor
That was one of the reasons I was asking, if I earn my commission and i work where I dont need a TS, I will lose my clearance, hurting my chances if I decide to get out of the navy, not that I see myself leaving the navy but I would like to keep my options open.

Friendo - you know how you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! Take a deep breath, focus on your passion and let things play out the way that they will.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Friendo - you know how you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! Take a deep breath, focus on your passion and let things play out the way that they will.

Good advice. Also, contrary to popular belief, you don't actually "lose" your clearance after the set time.

Relax, study, workout and have fun in college, and apply when it makes the most sense based of the info you find (I'm not smart enough to tell you such things, but guys like NavyOffRec can). My guess is to apply early, especially as we draw down. What early is...I don't know.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you, I guess im just chomping at the bit here.

another question, should I wait until after I have graduated to apply to OCS? or can I apply sooner? On a previous threat I saw that the recruiters are working almost two fiscal years in the future... should I apply to OCS my Junior year so I could possibly have a spot when I graduate? how to I approach my OR with that?

Thanks again for all your help, this forum has given me a ton of information and has shed light on the OCS and officer commissioning journey

The time at which you can apply changes, 3 years ago you had to be less than 6 months, then 12 months, and some were selected 18 months out now, but that could change. I would start asking question the summer between you Junior and Senior year.

I have been talking to several companies that due to the work require security clearances, they said get a JPAS printout before you leave the service showing what your last clearance was, they don't care if current or not it shows you were able to obtain and they will have to do an investigation anyway no matter when it was done, but at least they aren't spending money on a person that will be denied, these were private companies so my guess if you go to work for DOD that is the simpliest scenario.

sodajones

Combat Engineer

-TS clearance
-vehicle type
-academic performance

You are a terrible person.

I believed that until I read the last line.

Now time for more drinking on my vacation.