• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVY OCS Documentary

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Rifle drill is still involved. You are no longer drilling with the M1, you now do your drill and ceremony with the M16A1

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Rifle drill is still involved. You are no longer drilling with the M1, you now do your drill and ceremony with the M16A1

Good deal. I was actually wondering this. I've got experience with an M16, albeit in basic training. I used an M4, however, for about 5 years, and it's pretty dang close to the same thing. So doing stuff like locking the bolt will be a very familiar motion.

I'm pretty sure this is the definition of nuking it.

Do you have to clean it?

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA

I see the modernization but that takes out the classic image of Drill you always get.. with the M1. I did AF basic training in 2003.. Never had to do rifle drill. Hope it's not too difficult and it's all basic meanuevers.

They'd better not drop the rifle drilling, I'd like to learn those fancy moves.
It wont be so fancy with a 230lb guy screaming at you to keep repeating the same move 100 times in a minute.. because you keep F'ing up. ;)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
So drill is with the M16 now. (Shrug) Drill and the manual of arms started out hundreds of years ago using spears and pikes. I suppose when candidates/cadets/recruits started drilling with the M1 then there were some mixed emotions about whatever rifle used to be used before that.

Drill will always be important in that environment for the same old reasons- call it teamwork, unit cohesion, pride, discipline... plus it's just such a good way to move large groups of people from one place to the next.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I’m curious (having been enlisted) what is OCS like for priors? In my day (decade:)) the enlisted priors’ just got fitted for uniforms and basically went to a navy ‘knife and fork’ school.

Hey brownshoe, there were quite a few Navy/MC priors at OCS while I was there. They go through the program just like the rest of us, the only exception being with the LDO/CWO program. Those guys go through their own program.

brownshoe

Contributor
I’m curious (having been enlisted) what is OCS like for the priors? In my day (decade:)) the enlisted priors just got fitted for uniforms and basically went to a navy ‘knife and fork’ school. Meanwhile the rest of us were busting our asses - PTing, studying, having field-days, drilling (96 count manual arms) and double timing. The enlisted priors were classed together and not with the rest of us ‘real’ boots. Hugh, Ron, you two went to NAVCAD what was it like in your day?

Steve

A

AlexSmart

Not the case today. There is no distinction between candidates.