• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Now Taking High School Dropouts

JWL

Is this not bad news for the navy?

Why did the Marines meet its quota, but the navy did not?

I assume this does not mean that officer standards will be any lower, correct?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Marines frankly are selling a better product to their target audience. This has been the case for decades. Marines were forced to accept draftees in the late 60's to early 70's. The response to this was "never again".

Officer accession standards will remain unaffected.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Uhhh, no.

exNavyOffRec

Having recruited enlisted when they did this before I believe this will have little affect on making goal. I only had a handful of applicants that didn't have a GED or HS Diploma that were able to get 50 or higher and only 1 was able to actually come in.

The USMC has more of an elite feel which helps them get recruits.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Holy crap man, do you not know how to Google? Are you wallythenycat version 2.0?

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

A) We’re smaller.

B) The Corps focused hard on retention by throwing bonuses (finally) at almost every MOS. It reduced overall recruiting requirement.

C) Money will only go so far once young people realize $5-10k extra a year (before taxes) isn’t that much in the long run. The concept of opportunity cost isn’t common amongst young adults until much later in their careers/lives.

I prefer the term “propaganda.”

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having recruited enlisted when they did this before I believe this will have little affect on making goal. I only had a handful of applicants that didn't have a GED or HS Diploma that were able to get 50 or higher and only 1 was able to actually come in.

The estimate I read was about 500 for this CY.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Just curious, out of that 40k goal, approximately how many would be filled by non-citizen green card holders?

exNavyOffRec

So we should leave them off the table? There are multiple lines of effort. Every bit counts.
I think you may have taken my comment the wrong way, when I say "that isn't many" to me that means they are going to pick and choose.

The best example I have is the kid I put in who fell into this program many years ago, he ended up not finishing HS as he transferred with his AD parent, missed school and then there was another circumstance. He ended up doing well on the ASVAB he was very physically fit and we were able to get him in.

BigRed389

None
Yeah if someone still makes ASVAB but doesn’t have a diploma or GED, I read that as having the potential and aptitude, just not a stable home environment that supports finishing those programs.
Don’t know how common that combination is really, but that’s pretty spot on for a win win for the military and enlistee. The Navy has many flaws. Lack of structure isn’t one of them.

JWL

Marines frankly are selling a better product to their target audience. This has been the case for decades. Marines were forced to accept draftees in the late 60's to early 70's. The response to this was "never again".

Officer accession standards will remain unaffected.
You bring up an interesting point, Chuck. During the wars of the 20th century, I thought only the army drafted and if you had to enlist to get into the other services. Are you saying that during Vietnam, the Marines drafted civilians?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
During the wars of the 20th century, I thought only the army drafted
The Navy and USAF didn't accept draftees during the Vietnam era, but about 45,000 men were drafted into the Marines. All services received draftees during WWII.