• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Intel in Iraq?

rey007

Just wondering, I have heard that alot of guys who are in Navy intel through the reserves have been getting sent over to the green zone in Iraq, does any one know if this is true? Looking to either go intel or crypto.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Just wondering, I have heard that alot of guys who are in Navy intel through the reserves have been getting sent over to the green zone in Iraq, does any one know if this is true? Looking to either go intel or crypto.
Not that I've heard or seen. There are certainly opportunities, and there are certainly SelRes who have volunteered, but I haven't heard anything about involuntary IAs in the 1635 world. Doesn't mean that it hasn't happened, but if it has it's not widespread yet. If this pace keeps up, though, the IA net that covers URL folks will drape down into the Intel world before too long.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Plenty of 161X types playing the IA game (whether they want to or not). Volunteers welcomed, but not always quick to step up.

vtnick

IA's for 1630/1635 types are doubling this year. This is a widespread thing and it will likely affect almost all career Intel types.

MasterBates

Induvidual Augmentee

Basically, another service needs a warm body to fill a slot they don't have a person for. So we send someone to fill it.

Also can be used for internal (Navy) jobs that need someone now.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
plenty of 13xx types serving as warm bodies over in the desert as well....

psrogers

Intel Officer
Tons of 16xx's are going on IA's.

When I went on an IA to Guantanamo, I met a ton of 1637's who were IA'd down there. Most of them were on one year tours. We did tons of scuba diving together.

Lots of 1630's are getting IA'd to Iraq, Afghanistan, Djibouti, Bahrain, and the Philippines. Intel is one of the highest demand groups in the war zones.

There's a good chance you could get IA'd. It could be a great opportunity.

FlyinSpy

Contributor
There's a good chance you could get IA'd.
That's probably a bit of an overstatement, at least for now. The original poster's question was about 1635s (or Reserve IS's), not 1630/7s. There are bunches of active and FTS guys getting tagged for IAs, but the dragooning hasn't extended into involuntary SelRes IAs, at least not to any great extent yet. ("Yet" being the operative word...)

The original poster also sounded like he was interested in volunteering - and there seems to be plenty of opportunity for that, subject to the discretion of your local command.

psrogers

Intel Officer
That's probably a bit of an overstatement, at least for now. The original poster's question was about 1635s (or Reserve IS's), not 1630/7s. There are bunches of active and FTS guys getting tagged for IAs, but the dragooning hasn't extended into involuntary SelRes IAs, at least not to any great extent yet. ("Yet" being the operative word...)

The original poster also sounded like he was interested in volunteering - and there seems to be plenty of opportunity for that, subject to the discretion of your local command.

1635's are not reserve IS's. 1635's are intel officers (I think only active duty) who have not yet been augmented from USNR to USN, when they become 1630's. When I was commisioned to active duty, I became a 1635. IS's don't have a XXXX designator.

At the last brief I attended by the senior active duty intel officer detailer, he said everyone in the active duty intel officer community will eventually probably do an IA. I've seen the same information passed around in emails that originated from community management and the detailers. As for involuntary SELRES, I haven't heard of a single person in that intel group being called to active duty and IA'd.

Frankly, I don't know what a 1637 is so if someone could clue me in there, I'm obliged. I thought they were reserve intel officers, but I know a bunch of reserve intel officers, and the people I know don't have their name on the alpha roster, yet 1637's are on the alpha roster.

Regarding IS's, I agree that there are a lot of opportunities for them to volunteer for IA's, and I would add that many are being sent regardless of whether they volunteer. I also agree that the individual command's needs has a lot to do with it.

FlyinSpy

Contributor
1635's are not reserve IS's. 1635's are intel officers (I think only active duty) who have not yet been augmented from USNR to USN, when they become 1630's. When I was commisioned to active duty, I became a 1635. IS's don't have a XXXX designator.

At the last brief I attended by the senior active duty intel officer detailer, he said everyone in the active duty intel officer community will eventually probably do an IA. I've seen the same information passed around in emails that originated from community management and the detailers. As for involuntary SELRES, I haven't heard of a single person in that intel group being called to active duty and IA'd.

Frankly, I don't know what a 1637 is so if someone could clue me in there, I'm obliged. I thought they were reserve intel officers, but I know a bunch of reserve intel officers, and the people I know don't have their name on the alpha roster, yet 1637's are on the alpha roster.

Regarding IS's, I agree that there are a lot of opportunities for them to volunteer for IA's, and I would add that many are being sent regardless of whether they volunteer. I also agree that the individual command's needs has a lot to do with it.

Some clarification: The original poster asked about "Navy intel through the Reserves". It wasn't clear whether the OP was interested in officer or enlisted opportunities, so I covered the mail by addressing both. I am a SELRES intel officer, and have been a 1635 from Day 1 - if new active duty ensigns are being commissioned as 1635s vs 1630s, then I learned something new today. (And can therefore consider the day a success...). And yes, I was aware that IS's do not have designators... :)

1637s are Full Time Support folks, formerly TARs.

My "discretion of the local command" comment has to do with SELRES (O or E) volunteering - your local command has to support your request, since the Sandbox's gain is their loss. They'd probably need a good reason to turn down a request, but it is still their perogative.

Soooo, wrapping the discussion up here: If you are an active duty intel officer, there is a high demand for you in theater, and there is probably a good chance of an IA being in your future somewhere, maybe sooner, maybe later. If you are a *Reserve* intel officer, as far as involuntary recalls go, the Magic 8 Ball still says "check again later".