• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy HR Contacting IRR Folks...

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
Rumor de jour from all the Selres guys here in airline world is that guys are dropping like flies into IRR due to the number of 12 month vacations being handed out. Any troof to that? If so, that is a real shame and a failure of reserve leadership, IMO. Yes, the law protects your jobby job, but you can't tell me that the guy at the desk next to yours won't get the promotion/extra opportunity that you should be competing for because there is a good chance that you may leave your employer hanging for a year or so. Thoughts?

I was in VP4046 and it was populated by airline drivers!....they were always in and out of work....my real job was at Boeing in Seattle as an analytical chemist, so my job was always covered. its most important to get a reserve unit that works well with your real job as that will keep the peace and will work till you can complete your time for retirement WITH PAY!.....

GOOD LUCK...and go get the prize!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Rumor de jour from all the Selres guys here in airline world is that guys are dropping like flies into IRR due to the number of 12 month vacations being handed out. Any troof to that? If so, that is a real shame and a failure of reserve leadership, IMO. Yes, the law protects your jobby job, but you can't tell me that the guy at the desk next to yours won't get the promotion/extra opportunity that you should be competing for because there is a good chance that you may leave your employer hanging for a year or so. Thoughts?

It is true, but part of the "agreement" of being a SELRES is to be MOB ready and not just on paper, but actually willing to go. I'm not arguing your point that the law and reality don't always see eye to eye regarding a job, but for the last few years (and then some), this was the deal to be a SELRES. Nothing is for free.

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
It is true, but part of the "agreement" of being a SELRES is to be MOB ready and not just on paper, but actually willing to go. I'm not arguing your point that the law and reality don't always see eye to eye regarding a job, but for the last few years (and then some), this was the deal to be a SELRES. Nothing is for free.

true....depends on the MOB billet you get....as to how close to the action you will ever get....my civilian job was an analytical chemist for the Boeing company. they are very good supporting the reserves.....so that is a major factor too.....in my later years I wrote disaster plans for Navy sites in the pacific NW, it was not a flying billet but did serve a needed purpose is getting me to retirement....there are many paths that can be taken...

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
This provides some background on the reserves - I remember reading it the last time I was at NDU. http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jfq/jfq-59.pdf (The issue also has a perspective on Chinese aircraft carriers for those interested in that as well.)

The one thing I did not see in the article was the civilian impact: both on a reservist's civilian (primary) career and also how it impacts civilian hiring, USERRA be d@mned.

Has anything changed in SelRes mobilization policy recently that is causing this mass exodus?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Has anything changed in SelRes mobilization policy recently that is causing this mass exodus?

They did away with the annual 'Ready Mobilization Pool' list they had for a few years last year so folks are just getting notified of their mobs the old way, they get a few months notice out of the blue to deploy. But that isn't such a drastic change, they are usually giving plenty of notice and they aren't mobilizing anywhere near the numbers they did just a few years ago. Plenty of the folks currently getting mob'd are no kidding involuntarily mob'd (contrary to what I had heard a year or so ago about having enough volunteers but that was just RUMINT, not official) but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who joins the reserves nowadays or who has been in and awake the last few years.

But I really don't see how the recent change would be significant enough to cause a 'mass exodus' unless they are doing something different with the hardware units who I know were protected to a degree under the old systems. It is actually a return to the 'old' way of doing things before the Ready Mob Pool but better run and with a lot less people getting mob'd. Personally I haven't seen an exodus at all and though my view is limited to a few units they are pretty aviation heavy with quite a few folks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They did away with the annual 'Ready Mobilization Pool' list they had for a few years last year so folks are just getting notified of their mobs the old way, they get a few months notice out of the blue to deploy. But that isn't such a drastic change, they are usually giving plenty of notice and they aren't mobilizing anywhere near the numbers they did just a few years ago. Plenty of the folks currently getting mob'd are no kidding involuntarily mob'd (contrary to what I had heard a year or so ago about having enough volunteers but that was just RUMINT, not official) but that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who joins the reserves nowadays or who has been in and awake the last few years.

Perhaps part of the problem is that what you describe is happening, but that's not what's supposed to be happening. The original plan (at least within CNAFR) was at the beginning of the "RMP" year, COs would notify the SELRES that were eligible to be MOB'ed so they were prepared, even if they were never actually called. It sounds like this morphed into a system where sometimes the CO would play "I have a secret" and then spring it on a SELRES. There's various reasons that might occur.

I can say that this tactic is definitely not everywhere.

But I really don't see how the recent change would be significant enough to cause a 'mass exodus' unless they are doing something different with the hardware units who I know were protected to a degree under the old systems. It is actually a return to the 'old' way of doing things before the Ready Mob Pool but better run and with a lot less people getting mob'd. Personally I haven't seen an exodus at all and though my view is limited to a few units they are pretty aviation heavy with quite a few folks.

It seems like it's hit the VR guys a good bit, talking with some buds who are VR. And if people know their in the local pool ahead of time, then they may just drop their letter before the notification can occur (if it actually does), which then makes the next junior guy eligible, so he bails, etc. The fact that the COMAIR landscape is much healthier now probably has a lot to do with it.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Perhaps part of the problem is that what you describe is happening, but that's not what's supposed to be happening. The original plan (at least within CNAFR) was at the beginning of the "RMP" year, COs would notify the SELRES that were eligible to be MOB'ed so they were prepared, even if they were never actually called. It sounds like this morphed into a system where sometimes the CO would play "I have a secret" and then spring it on a SELRES. There's various reasons that might occur.

I can say that this tactic is definitely not everywhere.

Yeah, I think this is again an instance where what the 'hardware' units do things a lot differently than normal reservists. The folks I know who were tagged were done the traditional way without any CO early notification, and the CO's I know would have notified folks if they had been given a heads up on the folks who were vulnerable. Us unwashed masses aren't as lucky or as well run as you folks on the other side of the fence.

It seems like it's hit the VR guys a good bit, talking with some buds who are VR. And if people know their in the local pool ahead of time, then they may just drop their letter before the notification can occur (if it actually does), which then makes the next junior guy eligible, so he bails, etc. The fact that the COMAIR landscape is much healthier now probably has a lot to do with it.

I would say I sympathize but not really, after basically being off limits for the past 15 or so years from the whole mob it had to come to an end sooner or later. Welcome to the reserves.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor

Troof. And yes, the law has provisions to protect your job, but if you want meaningful employment (read executive or upper management) a year long hiatus is exactly compatible. Union airline guys don't have that problem.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Wonder if these SelRes mobs are really needed or is this a force "rightsizing" tool? They seem to be making life quite tough for the IRR, looks as if it is spreading to SelRes.

It does seem that much of our senior reserve leadership is airline guys / gals - their jobs are perfectly matched for the reserves.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wonder if these SelRes mobs are really needed or is this a force "rightsizing" tool? They seem to be making life quite tough for the IRR, looks as if it is spreading to SelRes.

It does seem that much of our senior reserve leadership is airline guys / gals - their jobs are perfectly matched for the reserves.

Based on the correspondence I've seen over the last ~18 months, it is most certainly NOT a rightsizing tool, but a way to make the process easier on the Reserve commands (most especially the hardware units). With the RMP in the past, you never knew who was going to be picked (once someone was out of their protection period). Now, at least, the command can "spread the love" within it's own community/environment. It really is a better way to do business, assuming the command is up front with everyone (and the "players" understand what they signed up for).

I'd argue that much of the Reserve leadership is FTS and not SELRES, so I'm not sure the "airline guys" have as much say as it might be easy to pass the buck to.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

How is mobilizing someone, a normal part of the reserves nowadays, a failure of reserve leadership? Or is the expectation management the failure?

Troof. And yes, the law has provisions to protect your job, but if you want meaningful employment (read executive or upper management) a year long hiatus is exactly compatible. Union airline guys don't have that problem.

As with many things it depends, I know folks who have all sorts of jobs including some on the executive/upper management track with a few already there. Some seem to make it work while some don't, we just had one guy switch to the IRR after finding it taking too much time. I even know one VP at a pretty large corporation but it has a heavy presence in defense contracting (not exclusive to that though) and his experience in the reserves was considered a benefit. Others have similar stories, in some cases it is even a novelty the employer seems to like. Airline types, defense contractors and GS guys are definitely over-represented but by no earns exclusive.

Each individual has to find out what works for them, their employer and the family. It isn't for everyone, just like the real Navy.