• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy diver

rcaracci91

I am 31 I was told by a retired navy guy that getting an age waiver for a diver is a shot in the dark so it’s best to go officer first, I have a bachelor’s. Is this true and if so going navy officer would be great route with a potential of still being a diver?

JoeBob1788

I am 31 I was told by a retired navy guy that getting an age waiver for a diver is a shot in the dark so it’s best to go officer first, I have a bachelor’s. Is this true and if so going navy officer would be great route with a potential of still being a diver?
No. Divers don’t have officers. Usually EOD officers command divers.

Talk to a recruiter. If you’re a physical stud crushing the PST, an age waiver shouldn’t be an issue. If you’re not a physical stud, you wouldn’t make it anyway.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
No. Divers don’t have officers. Usually EOD officers command divers.

Talk to a recruiter. If you’re a physical stud crushing the PST, an age waiver shouldn’t be an issue. If you’re not a physical stud, you wouldn’t make it anyway.
To add to this, the only officer communities with billets at dive school are Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Civil Engineering Corps, and Engineering Duty Officers. You need to be a physical stud as you will be spending a lot of time running with the young bucks fresh out of boot camp or the Academy. It's an incredibly physical program.

To put this in perspective, most EDO divers attend dive school around your age and we have a high failure rate due to our age and the fact that many of us are just not the PT stud type. Dive school in your 30s is going to be rough.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

There’s no navy officer diver, as what others have said there are other communities in which you MAY have an opportunity to do diving duty.

Talk to a local officer recruiter to see what you’re eligible for.

rcaracci91

There’s no navy officer diver, as what others have said there are other communities in which you MAY have an opportunity to do diving duty.

Talk to a local officer recruiter to see what you’re eligible for.
The navy site advertises officer option in the diver job. Wonder why and the recruiters didn’t say there wasn’t an officer position. Well this is weird now I’m very skeptical and will do more research.. thanks for your input

JoeBob1788

The navy site advertises officer option in the diver job. Wonder why and the recruiters didn’t say there wasn’t an officer position. Well this is weird now I’m very skeptical and will do more research.. thanks for your input
I just browsed navy.com and yes, it makes it seem like Navy Diver Officer is a thing. It is not.

Enlisted recruiters are often not familiar with officer programs. Do your research and know what you want before talking to a recruiter.

If you want to be a Navy Diver, enlist with a diver contract. Do not sign any paperwork that doesn’t say Diver. If you want to be an officer, find a job that you qualify that fits you, looking at all of the services, and apply. 31 is not too old but getting there.

FormerRecruitingGuru

There are Diving Officers in the form of Chief Warrant Officers and Engineering Duty Officers (In-Service Procurement Program), both of which are not available for civilian applicants.

rcaracci91

I just browsed navy.com and yes, it makes it seem like Navy Diver Officer is a thing. It is not.

Enlisted recruiters are often not familiar with officer programs. Do your research and know what you want before talking to a recruiter.

If you want to be a Navy Diver, enlist with a diver contract. Do not sign any paperwork that doesn’t say Diver. If you want to be an officer, find a job that you qualify that fits you, looking at all of the services, and apply. 31 is not too old but getting there.
I spoke to an officer recruiter he didn’t recommend to become an officer navy diver, he said it’s better to go enlisted diver. Thanks for your input

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
There are Diving Officers in the form of Chief Warrant Officers and Engineering Duty Officers (In-Service Procurement Program), both of which are not available for civilian applicants.
Civil Engineering Officers (Seabees) also attend the Joint Diving Officer program (Along with USCG and US Army Corps of Engineers) along with EDOs in order to be trained as hardhat divers covering surface-supplied diving, underwater construction, rebreather diving, and other related topics. None of these options are available to civilian applicants.

The Navy.com website is produced by civilians working on behalf of Navy Personnel Command. Who do you trust more, the civilians programming the website or actual Navy recruiters and an EDO with friends who have graduated from dive school in Panama City, FL (and was looking at becoming a diver himself)?

Mos

None
The Navy.com website is produced by civilians working on behalf of Navy Personnel Command. Who do you trust more, the civilians programming the website or actual Navy recruiters and an EDO with friends who have graduated from dive school in Panama City, FL (and was looking at becoming a diver himself)?
I got the impression that his skepticism is now directed at the Navy website, not the people in this board.

FormerRecruitingGuru

I want to say it's a third-party media company that runs all the Navy Recruiting media including the navy.com website.

Copy with the CEC piece, however the CWO / EDO piece seems to be more "centric" to diving.

exNavyOffRec

I looked at the site like @JoeBob1788 did, and it does have Navy Diving Officer, but unlike the other officer roles on the site that one is vague how you get there, so basically it is saying there are Officers who are Divers, but unlike the others officer programs it gives just basic officer requirements, not an actually path, this gives the appearance that a civilian can get into the program.
I spoke to an officer recruiter he didn’t recommend to become an officer navy diver, he said it’s better to go enlisted diver. Thanks for your input
It could be because he knew there wasn't a path or just figured the odds of someone who is 30 being accepted as a SEAL or EOD officer were low.

exNavyOffRec

Unfortunately there are many officers and even officer recruiters that are just not familiar with officer programs because they don't take the time to learn, or in the case of a few officer recruiters I knew they just didn't care.

Doing your own research is solid advice.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA

Go EOD Officer like JoeBob said you have to be a PFT stud. EOD officers get the real deal diving, jumping, shooting, etc… you’ll have to have a way above average PFT to get picked up though. Also there is 5AM workouts with the SPECWAR community that you’ll have to do to be endorsed by the SPECWAR liaison in your community to apply.