• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsteach

Just wondering what classes we all have to take before we graduate. Gimme an idea if you dont mind. Does it differ from university to university?

Thanks all

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
physics by end of junior year and calculus by end of sophomore year, someone correct me if i'm wrong. there were several other things that you need to do, i just forgot now, DAMN!!!

rare21

pilot
Contributor
well i'm a little hazy, but i know for sure you have a class on naval history, two classes of basic navigation, two classes on leadership and ethics, a class on weapons and systems, i think i'm missing like two or three classes but these are the majority. During your drill period you'll get many briefs that are necessary because if they werent given would be incorporated into a class.

you also get a really really boring class which is called intro to naval science. IMO it should be renamed intro to the Navy. You learn all this exciting stuff about various court martials, what the naval customs are...really gets you fired up at 0800 when your eyes are blazing red from a hangover from a frat party the last night.

And the briefs are frequently just as exciting as the intro nav sci. My officers are great, but the stuff they're teaching...someone cue the sandman.

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
This is straight off the GA Tech NROTC website (nrotc.gatech.edu)

These are the classes required:
-Calculus (one year by the end of the sophomore year)+ *
-Physics (one-year of calculus-based physics by the end of the junior year)+*
-English grammar and composition (one year)*
-National Security Policy/American Military Affairs+
-Computer Science (one term)+*

+ not required for Navy nurse ROTC students.
* not required for Marine Corps option students.

In addition, you have to take eight Naval Science classes (one each semester).

Fourth-Class Year (Freshman)

During the freshman year, both Navy and Marine Option midshipmen attend the following courses:

NS1321 Introduction to Naval Sciences (3 credits)
This course is an introduction and orientation class designed to give students a broad overview of the roles of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps. This course also provides an introduction to the structure, terminology, customs, and uniforms of the Navy and Marine Corps.

NS1323 Naval Maritime History (3 credits)
This course surveys U.S. Naval history from its European origin to the present with emphasis on major developments and the geopolitical forces shaping these developments. The course also covers present day concerns on seapower and maritime affairs, including the economic and political issues of maritime commerce, the law of the sea, and the rise and decline of the Soviet Navy.

Third-Class Year (Sophomore)

NS 2321 Naval Leadership and Management (3 credits)
Survey of managerial functions, communication, and major theories of leadership and motivation applied to the Navy organization. Culminates with focus on naval core values.

NS2322 Naval Systems Engineering I (3 credits) (Navy Option)
This course develops and broadens the student's understanding of basic engineering concepts and principles as applied to naval engineering.

Second-Class Year (Junior)

NS 3321 Navigation I (3 credits) (Navy Option)
This course develops and broadens the student's understanding of basic piloting and the laws of vessel operations by applying the fundamentals of navigation at sea.

NS 3322 Navigation II (3 credits) (Navy Option)
This course develops and broadens the student's understanding of relative motion, surface ship operations, and naval command, control and communications.

NS 3323 Evolution of Warfare (3 credits) (Marine Option)
A historical exploration of warfare practiced by great nations. Selected campaigns are studied with emphasis on leadership, evolution of tactics, weaponry, and principles of war.

First-Class Year (Senior)

NS 4321 Naval Engineering II (3 credits) (Navy Option)
This course develops and broadens the student's understanding of basic engineering concepts and principles as applied to naval weapon systems.

NS 4322 Naval Leadership and Ethics (3 credits)
Study of Naval values and ethics to include core values, Navy regulations, and military law. Duties and responsibilities of a junior naval officer.

NS 4323 Amphibious Warfare (3 credits) (Marine Option)
A historical exploration of warfare practiced by great nations. Selected campaigns are studied with emphasis on leadership, evolution of tactics, and principles of war.

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
At GT, depending on your major, you might not get any credit for your naval science classes. For the engineering degrees, i believe the MOST credit you can get for NS is 9 hours, and that is all free elective fredit. 24-9 = 15 hours of additional coursework. Most tech engineers take 4.5 years to graduate. That pretty much guarantees that if you go to Tech and do NROTC, you will spend 5 years to graduate (depends on AP credit too).

At my school the engineers just load up on 24+ credits every semester to graduate on time. Too expensive to go even one year without NROTC scholarship.

But on the subject...yeah most schools credit giving policies on ROTC classes blow ass.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If all else fails talk to an advisor and see if you can sweet talk them into letting you get credit somehow. In the less restrictive majors it sometimes works; I got credit for my naval leadership classes when I went through ROTC. At Penn State, they offer a military studies minor, but for the Navy folks we had to take one extra history/PoliSci class at the 400 (senior) level that was military-related (pick from a list); the Navy curriculum was 1 credit short of the requirement. So those with no credits to spare (read Engineers) and those who didn't care never took the extra course. Not sure what exactly a Military Studies minor would get you in the real world though. And Rare is right, labs can give good experience. I had the privilege of listening to the CMC, the CNO, and a former SECNAV while in ROTC. of course they can also be boring and pointless as you-know-what too.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
hey, if i remember correctly, hampton roads and norfolk state universities consider nrotc as a major. unless, it changed in a year or so... i remember when i was down there, it was considered a major.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
"At my school the engineers just load up on 24+ credits every semester to graduate on time. Too expensive to go even one year without NROTC scholarship"

It is not well publized ( I know I can't spell) but you can apply for extended benefits. Basicly you just document that it is not possible with the ROTC classes and your major classes to graduate in 4 yrs without taking more than 18 cr a semester. At my unit, it was essentially a guarantee if you were an engineer. I took 4.5 yrs to graduate and the navy picked up the tab for the extra semester. Start applying when you are a 2nd semester 2nd class.

Status
Not open for further replies.