• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Navy Officer Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program
Navy Officer Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program – Qualified applicants can earn approximately $18,000 per year in salary plus full medical and dental benefits while finishing their degree. Upon completion of the bachelor’s degree, graduates then attend the 13 week Officer Candidate School in Pensacola, Florida where they earn a commission as a Naval Officer.

If you’re a civilian or enlisted inactive reservist of any armed service working toward your bachelor’s degree, the Navy’s Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program (BDCP) could give you the financial boost you need to complete your college degree requirements-and help you become a Naval Reserve officer at the same time.

As a member of the program you will:

Be in active duty status;
Receive a full salary, benefits, and allowances;
Continue your college education.
You’ll pay for your tuition, books and other school-related expenses while completing your bachelor’s degree. No uniform requirements apply until after graduation.
Technical majors such as mathematics, science and engineering are highly desired, but students in most curricular are eligible for BDCP.

To apply for the Navy’s BDCP, you must:

Be a U.S. Citizen;
Be at least 18 but not more than 34 before degree completion. (Most officer programs have lower age requirements.);
Meet Navy physical standards;
Have a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of at least 2.7 on a 4.0 scale;
Be enrolled in or accepted for transfer to regionally accredited four-year college or university with at least 30 semester hours or 45 quarter-hours of accredited college or university credit.
Qualified applicants may be accepted into most officer communities, including surface warfare, aviation, SEAL, explosive ordnance disposal, supply, aeronautical maintenance duty, intelligence, cryptology, or oceanography.
If you’re selected for the BDCP, you must:

Complete college as a full-time student as soon as possible;
Maintain a minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA or higher if required by the specific officer community for which selected;
Report your college grades to the Commander, Navy Recruiting Command after completing each semester or quarter;
Complete requirements for a bachelor’s degree according to a previously approved degree completion plan.
After earning your bachelor’s degree in BDCP, you’ll be enrolled in the next available Officer Candidate School (OCS) class in Pensacola, Florida. Classes last about 13 weeks.
Upon successful completion of OCS, you’ll be commissioned an officer in the Naval Reserve.

As a selectee, your service obligation is four years of active duty, then four years in an inactive status unless otherwise required by your officer community. Candidates who leave the program before commissioning (for any reason other than medical) must serve two years of active duty in an enlisted status.

DDriver

Hi!
I am an enlisted guys on terminal leave and will be attending school soon. Can I use my GI Bill and apply - and use BDCP scholarship fund/s(if accepted)?
Thanks.

jaerose

Yes. I have been in BDCP for over 2 years, so when I was eligible to use my MGIB I went through the process and got a nice extra chunk of change every month. The BDCP is like being on active duty (it actually is active duty) b/c you get your insurance, salary, BAH and food allowances. So, yes you can use both.

JR

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree with JR.

I used my GI bill money and it was great. I also did VA work study on campus at UF. You are can do VA work study when youre approved for the GI Bill. It was a good $500-600 extra a month for not a whole lot of work. If your using your GI Bill, then ask you VA rep office at your school about VA Work Study.

Dave

DDriver

Thanks JR and DAVE!

DAVE: How many hours per week (min and max) is allowed for work study?
It sure helped you financially - however - I am going back to complete my engineering degree. Oh well, work study = extra money. A buddy of mine (another Ex-squid) advised me to apply for unemployment. I will used it for summer school. Sponged up the system..he he he.

JR: Do you get extra allowance - for your spouse off course "in case you get married" while going to school?

Godbless and Cheers!

jaerose

I'm not sure if you get an extra allowance...are you talking about BAH? You get a little bit more. D_Mac is a user on this forum...look him up and email him and ask him as he's in the same program and got married while in it.

JR

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Yes,

DDriver you do get more allowance for BAH and BAS while you are married, rather than if you are single. I can't remember how much more (differs with pay grade) but it is definately a couple hundred dollars per month more.

D

WFU2USN

Daedalus,

Unfortunately only those persons w/o a 4-year degree can apply for BDCP.

Sorry! :-

IS2(SCW)

http://www.geocities.com/califchick1175/USN/navy.html

jn99_2000

Are their any restrictions as to what college that you go to assuming it is a 4-year one? Where mentioned that qualifed applicants can be accepted into officer communities such as aviation, could elaborate more on that?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can go to any 4-year accredited college. It isn't really a scholarship. You are considered active duty and get paid to finish school. Any school will do. You apply to a specific program, Pilot, Intell, SWO, etc through a regular officer programs recruiter. The BDCP process has changes a little in the last several months. If you apply for a program and are accepted and have time left before graduating, you will automaticly be considered for BDCP for those months left in school. The program you applied for is quarenteed when you graduate. If they don't offer BDCP because money is short, grades too low or whatever, the job offer on graduating remains. You can turn it down at that point if you were only willing to accept if the big money was there in school.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
You will only get accepted for BDCP if you go to UF.

Go Gators!!

Dave

dino93

How competitive is the BDCP? According to the Admin post you only need 30 credit hours to apply,however the Officer Recruiter I talked to said you need to be within two years of graduation to apply. roughly 68 college credits. Which one is accurate? the 30 credits or the 68 credits?

cyphertube

The number of credits depends on whether you're going for a technical or non-technical degree. With a technical degree you can get 36 months, hence with 30 credits, you should be 1/4 of the way to graduation.

With non-technical, you need to have two years or less left.

And it is quite competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.