• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy/Air Force Aero Club's

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
March runs the tightest ship (sort of) that I've seen in a military or civilian club. It's slightly more work, but what you get in return are some nice aircraft to fly. To my knowledge, it's the only place in the country where you can rent a nicely restored T-34. Anyone whos' flown Navy Flying Club 34s' will be shocked at their immaculate condition.

Yes March is the only place you can do this that I know of. I know that Hart Air in Long Beach used to operate a T-34, but they don't any longer. Our Aircraft are currently undergoing the wingmod so that they will come into compliance with the AD. We're also bringing two more aircraft up from Texas (which will bring our fleet to 6 T-34s) ... both will be fully aerobatically certified and one will be IFR certified. The dragon flight aircraft (there are 3, bringing one more) are by far the most immaculate in condition.

Attachments

• 02-IMG_4076.jpg
    02-IMG_4076.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 06-IMG_4094-01.jpg
    06-IMG_4094-01.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 16-IMG_4159-01.jpg
    16-IMG_4159-01.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 25-IMG_4233-01.jpg
    25-IMG_4233-01.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 44

Flugelman

Contributor
NPS Flying Club

The Naval Postgraduate School Flying Club in Monterey still advertises a T-34 available. I flew T-34s at Moffett, Memphis, and Key West clubs. As I recall, the Air Force "A" models were certified aerobatic while the Navy "B" models were not. The "B" model required some weird mod that interconnected rudder and alierons but I'm hazy on the details.

ftrooper

pilot
T34c

As much as it is a pipe dream to see the turbo-wheenie flying for the aero clubs/ in civilian life, I do have to point out that while the T34As and Bs had to have an expensive AD for the spar, the T34C uses the Beech Duke's wingspar, which is far stronger and so is not subject to the AD. That being said, those airframes have a tremendous amount of time on them, and the insurance alone would probably be staggering. Too bad, it would be a lot of fun to fly one again.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I disagree with the whole insurance being higher thing....

The T-34C's speed is comparable to many Bonanza's, Mooneys and some homebuilts. The engine is much more reliable. It can easily be decertified for aerobatics like the Bs were with the bungy tying the ailerons and ruders together. It is a safer plane then most single engine GA aircraft.

What's going to be a problem is the training so someone doesn't torch the engine on start or overtemp it.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
If any of you are in SOCAL there is the March ARB Aero Club. If you don't mind flying aircraft that say USAF on them, its actually a heck of a lot cheaper than a civilian FBO. The T-41As (C-172) are $79/hour wet, T-41C (C-172 w/210 hp engine) $88/hour wet, and T-34A/B $110 and $115/ hour respectively. Its probably the only place you can fly a T-34 for these prices. There is a one time fee of $45 to join, then its $25/month and ofcourse a mandatory safety meeting. If you're within an hours drive its definitely worth it, usually the base is pretty quiet and it will keep you current on military procedures. If Steerman posts up I know that he used to fly there. PM me if you need more info.

We are also hurting for funding, so the more people that join the better. The Aero club Manager is a prior Navy pilot as well, good guy.

I live fairly close to March. Is the club for Active Duty only?

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
^^ No, Any Active or Reserve personell can join. Dependants, DOD employees, and CAP members also have access to it. Its relatively simple to sign up as well... you just fill out a couple forms and pay your fees. The club is located down the main drag (Graeber St.) just past the 452nd's buildings.

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
^^ No, Any Active or Reserve personell can join. Dependants, DOD employees, and CAP members also have access to it. Its relatively simple to sign up as well... you just fill out a couple forms and pay your fees. The club is located down the main drag (Graeber St.) just past the 452nd's buildings.

A very good point. CAP is very easy to join, its a great opportunity for community service, good flying, and great for networking.

CAP is an easy way to get your foot in the door at any military flying club. It opens them up to a larger portion of the flying community.

I recall at a recent Langley Aero Club safety meeting that this was something that they are trying to push to entice new members.

CAP is a great program all around. That's all I'll say about that!

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ So when are you taking me flying? I think it's your turn.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Doesn't Lee Airport (KANP) http://www.nafcflying.org/ have a Navy Flying Club? I forgot Pax River was close by as well....Even still, a 6 hour commute (round trip from the Hampton Roads area) for a 1-2 hour flight seems like a bigger waste of time and money than it is worth, but the reality is, this will be a reality shortly for the Langley Aero Club within a few months.... Part 141 schools are hard to come by, especially ones that do not overcharge (Horizon Aviation at KCPK for example, they charge was too much for a CFI and a C-172. Good luck getting off the deck for an hour for under $200. You can get almost two hours in with that money at Langley!)

At any rate, FLY!!!!

Depending on how much you fly, block time is an option at a civilian group.

I'm not sure where you are paying $200 to get off the deck. I fly out of Craig Field in JAX and their rates are competitive against military flying clubs if you factor in monthly dues and initiation fees.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Whidbey has a nice T34B for $100 (well, 90 this month) an hour. Fresh paint, too. We have a few others that need work to be flying again.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Thought I'd resurrect this thread: I'll be in the Hampton Roads area for the next year as my ship goes through dry dock and was wondering if y'all had any recommendations on flight schools or flying clubs in the area. As far as I know, Langley is the closest one but are there were any reputable civilian operations near the VA Beach and Chesapeake areas?

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
If you want to fly a T-34B the Pax River Navy Flying Club has the one that used to belong to the Widbey Island Flying Club, $99/hr. We're picking up another one from Willow Grove soon.