• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Rotary-Wing Operations Video

USFpilot06

pilot
can some of your helo guys gimme an idea how hard it is to select for the exact place/pltform you want. (and I'm talking helos here, forget those jet guys!) For example I would like to get HSL in Mayport. How hard is it to get that?

Bevo16

pilot
I don't know anyone from my winging class who wanted HSL in Mayport and didn't get it. There are more HSL squadrons than HS & HSC combined, so they need a lot of guys. Also, since the Romeo is coming on-line on the west coast first, that will probably influence some guys to select west coast over east.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
USFpilot06 said:
can some of your helo guys gimme an idea how hard it is to select for the exact place/pltform you want. (and I'm talking helos here, forget those jet guys!) For example I would like to get HSL in Mayport. How hard is it to get that?
What % get Mayport?

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
USFpilot06 said:

Just like everything, it's cyclical, but talking w/ studs lately (last 6 mos or so), it seems pretty easy to get. As far as I'm concerned, you're more than welcome to it (Mayport).

USFpilot06

pilot
gatordev said:
Just like everything, it's cyclical, but talking w/ studs lately (last 6 mos or so), it seems pretty easy to get. As far as I'm concerned, you're more than welcome to it (Mayport).

Wow you guys must not like Florida very much lol. I'm a transplant here, went to high school, college, did my cruise here, honestly its about all I know at this point. Next is NASP, then perhap NASWF, so its like ah heck... why not just stick around a little longer. As far as HSL what other stations are pretty good? And as far as HS and HSL which community is better...and...GO! Let the screaming begin!

Bevo16

pilot
USFpilot06 said:
Wow you guys must not like Florida very much lol. I'm a transplant here, went to high school, college, did my cruise here, honestly its about all I know at this point. Next is NASP, then perhap NASWF, so its like ah heck... why not just stick around a little longer. As far as HSL what other stations are pretty good? And as far as HS and HSL which community is better...and...GO! Let the screaming begin!

If you are going to get into the HS vs HSL topic, it would be best to read some of the old helo posts. The good news is that pretty much everyone loves what they fly.

If you are just starting flight school the helo community will look a lot different by the time you get wings. Over the next 2 years, HS squadrons will start trading in their F&H's for Sierra BLK III's, and HSL squadrons will become HSM and will get the Romeo to the fleet. The B/H/F models are all on their way out, but it will be a number of years (8+) before we close the book on them.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
HH-60H said:
Is that a joke?
Yes, it was... I do know how to count little green boxes

Steve Wilkins said:
How 'bout we ban you instead....you know, for sh!ts and giggles
:Dthen where would I go to learn "what its really like"

What does the HSM mission look like? Will they still be operating from small boys, or carriers? Is the mission going to be drastically different (from HSL) or is it a new name for a new platform? I guess these questions could apply to any transition (VF to VFA, P-3 to MMA)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
raptor10 said:
What does the HSM mission look like? Will they still be operating from small boys, or carriers? Is the mission going to be drastically different (from HSL) or is it a new name for a new platform?

And as far as HS and HSL which community is better...and...GO! Let the screaming begin!

There's several threads about the HSM transition/HS vs HSL debate. Here's one to start with:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11556&highlight=hsl

I couldn't find the long one, but I'm sure it's there somewhere with a little digging. Short answer: Not different mission, yes and yes to carriers and small boys, and new name for the same platform which is becoming a new platform (Romeo).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
USFpilot06 said:
Wow you guys must not like Florida very much lol. I'm a transplant here, went to high school, college, did my cruise here, honestly its about all I know at this point. Next is NASP, then perhap NASWF, so its like ah heck... why not just stick around a little longer. As far as HSL what other stations are pretty good?

I'm from Florida, went to school in Florida, and like parts of Florida very much. But I joined the Navy to see the world, so I'd rather experience other places if it's compatible w/ my job.

Other duty stations for HSL? Well, there's San Diego (uh, yeah!), Japan (pretty interesting experience, I would think), and that rock out in the middle of the Pacific...Hawai'i! No explaination needed there.

USFpilot06

pilot
gatordev said:
Other duty stations for HSL? Well, there's San Diego (uh, yeah!), Japan (pretty interesting experience, I would think), and that rock out in the middle of the Pacific...Hawai'i! No explaination needed there.

Yea you don't have to do too much convincing to get to to go to any of those other stations, and I definitely have to second you on seeing the world. I was just wondering how hard it would be to get Mayport like later down the road. I met a guy who was like me, lived in Florida his whole life, went to college, aocs, NASP, Mayport, NAS JAX, and back to mayport. The guy has been in Florida (in the navy) for like 9 years! So yea I think I would like to get out there and see some other ports, stations, countries and what not.

So moving away from that what’s the story with the Romeo? West coast first? When? Etc etc...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Really, I'd do a search. There's a bunch of info already posted (and I need to split). I think you'll find some answers. Short version: The Romeo is already at HSL-41 at North Island. I don't know when they'll start taking students, but as of 6 months ago, no one else had them anyway. For a while there will be a mix of squadrons w/ Bravos and Romeos. I think the east coast may get them first because their birds have more hours. The last squadron to get them will be HSL-37 in HI.