• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Rotary-Wing Operations Video

STARFlight145

Hello folks,

I'd like to introduce myself...my name is Garrett, I'm 17 and I'm hoping to be accepted into the NROTC within the next few weeks.

I currently live in Austin, Texas where my dad flies for Austin/Travis County STAR Flight, an EMS/Rescue outfit...

dsc00503zy3kj.jpg

Photo of one of the brand new Eurocopter EC145's that we received.

Previously, my dad was enlisted as an SH-2F Seasprite aircrewman. He went through ECP and flew SH-60B Seahawks for 22 years. After retiring, he flew as a test pilot for Sikorsky aircraft for 6 years.

I compiled video footage from 1991 that he took while he was still in the Navy. It includes SH-60B Seahawk operations as well as footage from Whiting Field.

495.jpg

http://www.patricksaviation.com/aviation_videos/495/U.S._Navy_-_Rotary-wing_Operations

Enjoy the video!

KBayDog

Most excellent video.

I dig the "non-standard" soundtrack, too. I bet Bill Conti actually had Rotorheads in mind when he penned "The Right Stuff." :)

Bevo16

pilot
Good luck with the ROTC scholarship. I was at UT from 98-02 and they have a great unit.

Hookem

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just watched the video... Holy crap! I wondered if T-34s EVER looked new, and if that vid was from '91, and w/ a Buno of 164158, man, that thing was mint, right off the line.

Thanks for sharing.

STARFlight145

Glad y'all enjoyed the video. Nothing like "The Right Stuff" to represent aviation footage, right KBayDog?

Just watched the video... Holy crap! I wondered if T-34s EVER looked new, and if that vid was from '91, and w/ a Buno of 164158, man, that thing was mint, right off the line.
Are T-34's completely replaced by T-6 Texan II's now? When did you complete flight school Gator? And what are you flying now?

Congrats on being a UT graduate Bevo, UT is quite a prestigious school. I assume you watched the Rose Bowl...what an incredible game! What are you doing in San Diego at the moment? You with HSL-41, 47 or 43?

-EDIT-

Not to stray too far off topic, but I took in-flight footage two weekends ago when I went flying with my dad in our new Eurucopter EC145's. Thought you might enjoy this video as well.

523.jpg

http://www.patricksaviation.com/aviation_videos/523/STAR_Flight_Eurocopter_EC145

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
STARFlight145 said:
Are T-34's completely replaced by T-6 Texan II's now? When did you complete flight school Gator? And what are you flying now?

Congrats on being a UT graduate Bevo, UT is quite a prestigious school. I assume you watched the Rose Bowl...what an incredible game! What are you doing in San Diego at the moment? You with HSL-41, 47 or 43?

The Turbo Weenie is still alive and well for all Navy pilot flight training. The 'FOs and the AF now have the T-6.

Bevo is actually an HS guy. I'm an HSL-West guy, but fly the -34 now.

And is it wrong that while watching your first video from the tower, I found myself giving conning calls to the helo out loud? And called a mistrap before the guy on camera said he missed? <Shudder> I've been programed...

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Welcome Star, I can't really give you any good advice or anything like that, Thats what the old people on here are for =) It'll be nice seeing a new face around! I would have welcomed earlier but a girl was over and was questioning me about the airwarriors. She said it seemed 'creepy' so I sent her ass home! ( Not really, I took her and her friends out to dinner and then..) But welcome nevertheless!

STARFlight145

Thanks much for the welcome HighDimension!

And is it wrong that while watching your first video from the tower, I found myself giving conning calls to the helo out loud? And called a mistrap before the guy on camera said he missed? <Shudder> I've been programed...

Hehe, sounds like you have been programmed. So you're an instructor pilot now?

Bevo is actually an HS guy.

Interesting. Are you on the west coast as well Bevo? My dad was out at North Island NAS a few years back teaching the CH46 guys how to fly their brand new MH-60S Seahawks.

Bevo16

pilot
STARFlight145 said:

Watched the Rose Bowl? I was AT the Rose Bowl. :icon_smil I only made 2 games this past year, but the first one and last one were pretty good choices. Getting to see Texas win the last 2 Rose Bowls have been pretty cool.

A link.

Being an HS pilot is pretty cool too. My squadron has a really tight wardroom, and I really enjoy the helo and the mission that we fly. Gator likes to tease me for "Spreading HS lies", but I am just a guy who has been lucky enough to fly the best helo in the best squadron in the Navy.

PM me if you have any questions about the ROTC unit at UT.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
HighDimension said:
( Not really, I took her and her friends out to dinner and then..)

Just want all AW to know that I saw HD out having dinner with his friends and was quite impressed with the batch he rounded up :). Its not everyday you see 3 women with 1 guy in the lands of erau and daytona. ;)

ElCidAv8tor05

Any of you boys seen a VORTAC around here?
pilot
sweet video dude! I just have a question for you fleet guys; what the hell is that thing the helos were trying to hook onto when they were landing on the boat? Is it used to tow the helos into the hanger or something? Also, how many enlisted guys do the helos usually carry around with them, and what do they do?
Thanks,
"Easy"

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
It's all a moot point unless he closed the deal. I mean, what's impressive about blowing a wad of cash on a bunch of chicks if you don't get anything for your money? :D

Brett

Brett, If I closed as many real estate deals as I manage to close with women I would be a very wealthy man. I'll compare this experience to elimidate except I already knew who I was taking home ;) Cheers.

edit: They were all UF girls too!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HighDimension said:
Brett, If I closed as many real estate deals as I manage to close with women I would be a very wealthy man. I'll compare this experience to elimidate except I already knew who I was taking home ;) Cheers.

edit: They were all UF girls too!
Atta boy! ;)

Brett

USFpilot06

pilot
Old or not I thought the video was rather cool, except for the little Air Farce song blurb! Gets me going to see what I'll be doing here in the next few months, or years for that matter. I noticed the t-34s didn't have the TCAS yet, when did that come along? And really do you use it? Lastly I saw what look like 2 different versions of the TH57. Is that right?