• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Introductory Flight Training (NIFE) Phase 3 AAR: Flying

RoarkJr.

Maybe a bit off topic, but do people who already had licenses (commercial-multi) still have to fly at phase 3? If not, what do they do?

For now they are allowing them to skip the flying portion so they go straight to physio week. Once they stop allowing that there is a clause in the syllabus that allows for a proficiency advance.

For now they are allowing them to skip the flying portion so they go straight to physio week. Once they stop allowing that there is a clause in the syllabus that allows for a proficiency advance.
Would you mind elaborating on the "once they stop allowing"? Is it something will be conducted soon?

RoarkJr.

Would you mind elaborating on the "once they stop allowing"? Is it something will be conducted soon?
I don’t know when they are going to stop allowing people to skip the flying portion. NIFE phase 3 is supposed to be a glimpse into how primary is going to be so no one is allowed to skip it, they’re only allowing it now to give the flight school time to catch up.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Sad to hear that Foley isn't one of the NIFE sites. I had a great time flying there with an instructor who was 2 months older than me. Plus everyone out of Foley had 2x more landings than skywarrior. Is it truly necessary to have them solo before moving on? I don't know, but as a budding SNFO it was the highlight of flight school for me personally.

papacarter

College Student
Sad to hear that Foley isn't one of the NIFE sites. I had a great time flying there with an instructor who was 2 months older than me. Plus everyone out of Foley had 2x more landings than skywarrior. Is it truly necessary to have them solo before moving on? I don't know, but as a budding SNFO it was the highlight of flight school for me personally.
As part of the first NIFE class, we flew at Foley. Did about 15 bounces in one flight.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The USAF is still working on their future training programs. Some interesting things here. I especially like the idea of putting helo guys directly into the helo pipeline.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The USAF is still working on their future training programs. Some interesting things here. I especially like the idea of putting helo guys directly into the helo pipeline.

Hits the nail on the head with that you can't fly new airplanes like old airplanes. That'd be like buying an iPhone and only using it as a phone that's plugged into the wall and that's just stupid.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Wow...

“On the helicopter side we’re experimenting with Helo Training Next. We’re going to send helo pilots through a helicopter only path to wings. This will free up 60-80 slots per year from T-6s and make those available for fixed wing pilot production,” she said.
Initially, this comprises two “Small Group Tryouts:” one that started at Ft. Rucker in Alabama, using the Bell’s TH-1H Iroquois; another at Georgetown, Texas using the Bell 206 to get civilian training first, then moving to Ft. Rucker, she said.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Hits the nail on the head with that you can't fly new airplanes like old airplanes. That'd be like buying an iPhone and only using it as a phone that's plugged into the wall and that's just stupid.
Wait! You mean they unplug? That’s amazing!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The Air Force prides itself on everybody who gets wings getting the same training. No matter what your "fleet" aircraft, you still flew the Tweet or the T-6 and you flew the T-38 on your road to getting your wings.* That's something the Navy departed from long ago when the pipelines split after primary, then even more when we stopped doing universal carrier qualification when the (tailhook) T-28 went away.

Good or bad, these things cost money.

* Not sure the USAF helo guys have been fully part of that all this time though

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Wait! You mean they unplug? That’s amazing!
SlideMe-Animated-GIF.gif

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
The Air Force prides itself on everybody who gets wings getting the same training. No matter what your "fleet" aircraft, you still flew the Tweet or the T-6 and you flew the T-38 on your road to getting your wings.* That's something the Navy departed from long ago when the pipelines split after primary, then even more when we stopped doing universal carrier qualification when the (tailhook) T-28 went away.

Good or bad, these things cost money.

* Not sure the USAF helo guys have been fully part of that all this time though
I know at one point the AF helo guys did the civilian pre-flight stuff and then Rucker only. But then they went back. There was a study a while back documenting the cost of dual type training (fixed to helo) and a simplified helo path was far less costly.

taxi1

pilot
I've got an R/C simulator on my home computer, and when I need a leisure break I'll fire it up and work on my Harrier-ing (hovering a fixed wing prop aircraft vertically). Definitely a new skill. I've actually become decent at it in the sim, moving from months of immediately crashing it, to not immediately crashing it, to now (almost) putting it where I want it when I want it to go there.

The other day I was with an R/C guy out at the field, and he had an indestructible fixed wing foamy stunt plane. I asked to fly it, and was able to decently get it to hover hanging off its prop after about a minute of adaptation. Having never done it before it real life.

A thought...

It would be interesting to take a "train to competency" approach with simulators, keeping guys there doing the reps until they've get the brain wired, then move them into the real cockpit. The sims could be too cheap to meter, so who cares if they don't pass the Familiarization stage until FAM 100?