• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviations "One" Problem...

Dontcallmegump

pilot
If he’s talking about who I think he is, 500 total
Oh hey, I was thinking I haven't seen you around in a bit.

I wouldn't have thought you'd make it to a primary spot with 500 or so hours. Then again after thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I had a Herc guy as a IP in those days with similar hours, although they couldn't have been the same guy.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Individual Augmentee. The brain child of ADM Mullen to make sure Navy folks were part of the “fight” during OIF/OEF.

That somehow hasn’t died today…

I've always wondered why these didn't go out as guard/reserve mobilization orders. Plenty of folks were/are always looking for a set of AD orders to plus up their reserve retirement or even get them over the 20 year equivalent in points mark for an AD retirement. Even just a chance for 6 months to a year to go back on AD for a bit and take a break from the civilian world.
Seems like if the AD needed an extra guy that they didn't have they should dip into the reserve forces- after all, isn't that part of what the reserve forces are supposed to be for?

Meyerkord

pilot
Seems like if the AD needed an extra guy that they didn't have they should dip into the reserve forces- after all, isn't that part of what the reserve forces are supposed to be for?
One would think so, but they’re still tagging people you wouldn’t expect for stuff like this. A buddy of mine left his first sea tour to be an FRS instructor and, upon checking in, they said “welcome aboard, you’ll be IA to Bahrain for 8 months.”

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
And they ask why there is a retention problem.

@Empire16 Take note of this:
One would think so, but they’re still tagging people you wouldn’t expect for stuff like this. A buddy of mine left his first sea tour to be an FRS instructor and, upon checking in, they said “welcome aboard, you’ll be IA to Bahrain for 8 months.”

@Meyerkord is your buddy going to stay in Naval Aviation after that tour?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
He’ll still have a disassociated left on the plate. Not sure what his plans are post MSR
So he gets an out of cockpit and away from family IA nut punch that turns his 3 year FRS IP gig into a 2 year one (and that nut punch will leave him behind his peers in instructor quals and therefore ranked lower) , but he'll also still have to suck up a shitty boat tour that he probably doesn't want to do?

Meyerkord

pilot
So he gets an out of cockpit and away from family IA nut punch that turns his 3 year FRS IP gig into a 2 year one (and that nut punch will leave him behind his peers in instructor quals and therefore ranked lower) , but he'll also still have to suck up a shitty boat tour that he probably doesn't want to do?
But hey, at least he has all this diversified experience that makes him a better officer 🙃

Dontcallmegump

pilot
But hey, at least he has all this diversified experience that makes him a better officer 🙃
I met him and hung out a few times in my multiple stints on Parad-Isa. He got it bad and still wasn't anywhere as jaded as I would expect someone to be, and how many people here are.

He's gone now, and hopefully doing alright on his shore tour, but what a kick in the dick that was.

Meyerkord

pilot
I met him and hung out a few times in my multiple stints on Parad-Isa. He got it bad and still wasn't anywhere as jaded as I would expect someone to be, and how many people here are.

He's gone now, and hopefully doing alright on his shore tour, but what a kick in the dick that was.
He’s one of my favorite people I’ve ever met. One of the nicest dudes you’ll ever come across by far. If anyone can turn a situation like that into a positive experience, it would be him.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
During my HT tour, we had an officer jump on a grenade for an IA to a UN Peacekeeping Mission in Africa (blue helmet and everything, she had to go through Army courses for shooting, driving, etc.), but the deal she made with the detailer was "this time doesn't count against my shore tour," and made sure our CO and CDRE were well aware of that deal.

Fast forward to her return from Africa and surprise, surprise, gets the email from the detailer telling her she's up for her disassociated tour. "Not so fast, you made this promise."

"Sorry, that was my predecessor, pick a coast and type of boat."

A few emails from CO and higher ups fixed that relatively quickly and she did a lat txfer to the USCG and is still flying.

==========================
FWIW, all of my experiences with PERS except one have been positive, and ironically, the only "bad" detailer I had was for my initial shore duty orders. With that said, I guess I've kind of accepted how the game gets played (cutting shore duty early, making boat tours last as long as possible), and never fought it, but I feel like the rest have been honest brokers with me.

On my current joint tour, I am going to ask to extend about three months so that my kids can, for the first time ever, finish a school year at the same school, but I know that will be a mega fight since they will want to pull me for O-5 sea duty if I don't make command.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
3-year FRS IP tour? My friend my friend, you may not be aware that first shore tour orders are being issued for 24-30 months to ensure they have enough time remaining to MSR to be obligated into a disassociated tour.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
3-year FRS IP tour? My friend my friend, you may not be aware that first shore tour orders are being issued for 24-30 months to ensure they have enough time remaining to MSR to be obligated into a disassociated tour.
Racketeering worthy of the Sopranos!