• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviation -vs- Warrant Officers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Shutter

Army Warrant Officer (I started applying for it in my past life) does have several advantages, especially when you take the career picture into perspective. Your job consits of flying, flying and then more flying. I find it hard to imagine them having zero collateral duties but that's what the WO's I've met have always said, the officers do the admin work in the SQDN and the WO's just fly. You can get into AWOC school w/o a 4 year degree. They prefer you to have at least an Associates but if your app looks good they'll even overlook that, especially these days with recruiting down across the board. Occasionally, but not often, guys can go into the program with only high school, I've met a few, although I think you still have to be at least 19. At the other end you don't have to worry about being kicked out if you've been passed over for promotion or of competing for the small # of Senior Officer jobs, you just keep on flying. There's a Prof at my college who was an Army WO for almost 30 years, he helped start the 160'th SOAR, helped write the book on modern specop's aviation support, and yes, he's landed on pitching fantails in the dead of night. I can get you his e-mail address if you'd like.

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 04/30/2002 10:18:06

Brooklyn

When do you start Michael? If it makes you feel any better, a friend of mine (E-2 Driver) who has a family just signed up for another 5 years because he loved it. He even got 737 training in case he decided to go the airlines route. Signing up meant going back on sea duty (he was an instructor) which they obviously did not look forward to but there was enough good to outweigh the bad. He has a great family and I know this was a huge decision for them so knowing that they signed up again spoke volumes to my wife and I on their experience with the Navy.

Edited by - brooklyn on 04/30/2002 19:38:08

Brooklyn

Hey dude, you're MUCH further along than I am! I consider myself spoiled living with Oceana and NAS Norfolk as my neighbors. I have made several great friendships with guys, active and retired, that are a wealth of information. I'm encouraging my friend to visit here and contribute from the E-2 side of things.

If God guides us into the Navy, my desire is to return the favor to anyone seeking advice from me. Thanks to those who already do that. This forum truly is a gem on the web. Naval Aviation isn't the only thing to do in life, but boy is it close! ;-) As long as you sign up for the right reasons dude, and it sounds like you are, you'll do great, and everything WILL work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.