• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aircraft Trap Life?

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
Is there a set number of traps a naval aircraft can do aboard a carrier and aren't allowed to do anymore? What number? And does it change for each aircraft. With the F/A-18, once they reach that number do they usually go to a land based Marine squadron?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know the number, someone else can tell you that, but yes, that's what they've been doing, trading Hornets between Marine and Navy squadrons because the Navy ones are trapped out.

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator
I've heard on this forum and elsewhere that marine hornet squadrons are being deployed more often now on aircraft carriers. If a particular squadron is flying trapped out navy hornets, how would they get carrier qualified? I'm just curious.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because not all Marine squadrons are flying trapped out Navy hornets...

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I'd like to take this time and thank all the Navy Hornet squadrons who, due to the practice of bag'n traps, have trapped out their high lot F/A-18C's (with all the fancy avionics & big motors) and have had to trade them to the Marine Corps for our piece o sh!t F/A-18A's & low lot F/A-18C's. Keep up the good work!

S/F

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
As for the F/A-18, the tailhook is limited to 100 traps before it has to be overhauled. As for the life for each aircraft, I never saw it while being an airframer in VFA-192 and VFA-27.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you talking about # of traps in a day?
I've seen one fleet crew bag 25 in one day in an S-3 on the Stennis druing CQ. Deck was open and they went for it.

During CQ FRS students are limited in how many they can get in one day. LSO chime in here. I think it's 14 traps a day max for CQ. 10 day 4 night is what we usually did. Then a handful the next day to be a qual. Have to review the LCO natops again to be sure for quals.

Lifetime...no limit as long as your are med up, qualled and have the resources to go the boat, you can. I've seen CVN COs, CAGs and CSG Admirals fly off the CVN and bag traps.

r/
G

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you talking about # of traps in a day?
I've seen one fleet crew bag 25 in one day in an S-3 on the Stennis druing CQ. Deck was open and they went for it.

During CQ FRS students are limited in how many they can get in one day. LSO chime in here. I think it's 14 traps a day max for CQ. 10 day 4 night is what we usually did. Then a handful the next day to be a qual. Have to review the LCO natops again to be sure for quals.

Lifetime...no limit as long as your are med up, qualled and have the resources to go the boat, you can. I've seen CVN COs, CAGs and CSG Admirals fly off the CVN and bag traps.

r/
G

He's talking about airframe maximum trap life.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He's talking about airframe maximum trap life.

I should read the farging' question.....:eek:

No limit I'm aware of as long as it can pass it's airframe inspections. Most airframes are limited by how much fatigue has been put on the airframe. Measured and calculated by cats/traps/accleraometers and flight hours. If we have an AMDO on the board they would have the specifics.

Tailhooks have a limited life, hook stingers (hook points) are changed out quite frequently. They make great doorstops and give aways.