• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Academy Looking at Cruise Behavior

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I'm wondering why they were outed as being midshipmen? Clearly these guys weren't interested in keeping a low profile.....it may be a media-fueled over-reaction but it sounds like they were asking for it....

I would not be surprised.

Shoot, the old codger should take it as a compliment that a young, promising male in his 20's had an interest in her. He should fit in to seville nicely.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
If you wanna act like a normal college student, don't go to the academy. Incredible loss of SA, and poor use of judgment. Good on 'em for using the uniform/choker whites angle for trying to get some ass, but you can't act like an ass when using said tactics. Also tends to diminish any chance you MAY have had with the women.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
Everyone just thought they were normal college kids being dumb until the formal night. Thank god they had the common sense to not wear them on the second formal night

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whatever. Young college students (no matter where you go) are gonna do stupid stuff from time to time. BFD. Get over it. The Captains/Colonels and Admirals/Generals of today partied like rock stars in their day, and I'm sure it was worse before their time. The hypocritical BS from senior leadership is nauseating. We constantly hear the theme, "Do as I say, but under no circumstances should you do as I did." Whatever.

Yea, maybe offering alcohol to underage women may not be a good thing. But I'm not going to armchair quarterback the situation and claim that they should have known how old these girls were. I've seen some very attractive "women" who happened to be quite young (13-17 range). Scary.

Sacarsm not in effect.

Pitchlock

pilot
As a mid you are supposed to do dumb things, but you are also supposed to be smart enough not to get caught.

phrogpilot73

As a mid you are supposed to do dumb things, but you are also supposed to be smart enough not to get caught.
Concur. Also, I have noticed that certain classes there do not take care of their own as much as I remember it. We looked out for our classmates up to the point of an honor offense, and then they were on their own. More than once I've heard the mid my wife sponsors say that it's not her problem.

KC130FE

Livin' the Life!
I been on the road with CO's/XO's that we had to restrain from "touching" the dancers. Booze can have that effect. A definite lack of SA and HW, however considering the source of the allegations, his or her ulterior motives (if any), and the media scrutiny, these guys are probably screwed.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Concur. Also, I have noticed that certain classes there do not take care of their own as much as I remember it. We looked out for our classmates up to the point of an honor offense, and then they were on their own. More than once I've heard the mid my wife sponsors say that it's not her problem.

I think you are correct. During my time there in the early to mid-'70's, classmate loyalty was order number one. When I lived in Annapolis from 1997 to 2002, we sponsored one of my classmates' sons and he often remarked how the classmate loyalty his Dad talked about seemed to be missing and, in fact, was addressed in a negative way by several faculty and company officers.

Pitchlock

pilot
This post has triggered a flashback of all the dumb things I did as a mid. In fact the first thing I thought when reading the title of this thread were the dumb things I did on 3rd,2nd, and 1st class cruise. Fortun, I was lucking enough to come out mostly unscathed. The 'luck' came from the sailors and mids I was with...

In a way I really feel bad for these mids. Its hard to know without having the complete story. Hopefully the academy will learn the lessons of DUKE and not rush to judgment.

Its sad to hear the PC Navy is alive and well...I had hoped that it had peaked in the late 90's. One of the 'benefits' of war is that it reminds people of the sacra fices those in the military make. Hopefully in appreciation they give those who serve a little extra margin of error for the 'dumb' things. It been unwritten rule since the dawn of time....

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its sad to hear the PC Navy is alive and well...I had hoped that it had peaked in the late 90's.
Ohhhh no. I just got out in September and it is alive and thriving. I joined in '92, at the dawn of the 'kindler and gentler navy'. It's only gotten worse since.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Ohhhh no. I just got out in September and it is alive and thriving. I joined in '92, at the dawn of the 'kindler and gentler navy'. It's only gotten worse since.

If you think it is bad now, just shudder at the thought of Hillary Clinton as commander in chief:

Women's group plans to endorse Clinton

The political arm of NOW, the National Organization of Women, will endorse Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential bid on Wednesday, according to Democratic officials familiar with the plan. f(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object(); window.yzq_d['5UJECdGDJHk-']='&U=13bcqsvpm%2fN%3d5UJECdGDJHk-%2fC%3d571699.10465073.11095554.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4429547';
b
Clinton will join NOW president Kim Gandy to accept the endorsement, which will take place at Washington's Sewell-Belmont House, the historic home of the National Women's Party.

Here's the full story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070328/ap_on_el_pr/on_the2008_trail_12

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I been on the road with CO's/XO's that we had to restrain from "touching" the dancers. Booze can have that effect. A definite lack of SA and HW, however considering the source of the allegations, his or her ulterior motives (if any), and the media scrutiny, these guys are probably screwed.

If you're not allowed to "touch," then you're going to the wrong clubs. :D

Brett

BlackBearHockey

go blue...

Being fairly new to the Navy, I'm still unsure at this phrase but hear it a lot... was it something drawn up and put into action? Announced? Or more so people changing they way they command and/or discipline?

Pitchlock

pilot
Being fairly new to the Navy, I'm still unsure at this phrase but hear it a lot... was it something drawn up and put into action? Announced? Or more so people changing they way they command and/or discipline?

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans serif] George Bush brought to the White House a dedication to traditional American values and a determination to direct them toward making the United States "a kinder and gentler nation." In his Inaugural Address he pledged in "a moment rich with promise" to use American strength as "a force for good."[/FONT]
see: http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/gb41.html

Although the phrase is attributed to Pres Bush. Pres Clinton's administration (mis)applied it to the military. Its not an official policy.

edit: It really did start with Bush41 and the end of the cold war. Congress began to treat the military as a social experiment. I shouldn't place too much blame on clinton.