• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Academy Foundation Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Here's a thread for anyone who's got questions about Foundation. I've been through the admission process and have talked to some midshipmen who have gone trhough it, so I can help answering those with questions in a limited role.

I'll start off with my first question, as I know some of you on this site are in this situation...

How did you choose (or for that matter choose not) to do Foundation over an NROTC scholarship? Was it an easy decision? My inability to decide or find what I truly want immediately has led me to believe that I'm not academy "type," as it seems like some of you so willingly gave up that scholarship. I'm finding giving it up one of the hardest (if not the hardest) decisions I've made in my life. :ashamed_1

NAPSmom05

Well, I can't speak for decisions myself, but moreso for my daughter. She, too had a full NROTC scholarship to her 1st choice school (after the academy of course). She had everything all set including her roommate and dorm assigned. She had a study group thing all set up. I mean, she was committed to going. Then the NAPS offer came in. She went through every emotion and finally decided that, while the scholarship was nice, the prestige of the school she was to attend was nice and all the other good stuff, she didn't want to wake up 20 years from now and have regrets. So, what's a year, right? I know that she wasn't sure of her decision until about October of this year. That's right: 3 months AFTER she was at NAPS. In fact, although we turned down the NROTC scholarship, we didn't totally bail on the other college. Instead, she requested a deferral so that if this didn't work out, she wouldn't have to go through the hoops again with reapplying. Call it an insurance policy I guess. Now, though, she is sure of what she wants and it is ALL her decision. Isn't trying to please us etc. So, I see where you are torn. It's a tough call. I will say this though, If the USNA is your dream and calling, and you are a betting man, then the odds of gaining acceptance via foundation instead of reapplying are much much better. It is essentially your red shirt year. You are as good as in. Search your heart and you will figure it out. GOod luck.
NAPS05mom

bigspy007

I picked the Foundation over my NROTC scholarship because i've never seen myself anywhere other then the academy...so to me an extra year is nothing. But what I think you need to ask yourself, is where do you see yourself? I know, because I have always pictured myself as a plebe at the academy, I would forever regret not doing everything in my power to get the yard.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the advice, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards Foundation, because I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing I had a shot at the Academy.

DMeix

High School Peon
While I haven't been offered the Foundation, I feel that I would choose the NROTC scholarship over Foundation. My reasoning is this: The first year would essentially be the same thing as if I were on the Foundation, except I would be receiving training as an officer candidate at the same time. When it comes time to reapplying for the Academy, I would be able to use my CO's letter of recommendation. From what I've heard/read, a letter from a current officer is held in higher regard due to their (supposed) ability to recognize officer potential in the candidates, and the fact that they are experienced naval officers.

Should the Academy fall through a second, or even third time, I wouldn't have wasted any time simply preparing for another school, but would already have a few years under my belt, and be well on my way to a commission.

mmm...this kinda contradicts what I just said, but I would take NAPS over NROTC. The Academy is a life long goal of mine, and NAPS seems like a pretty good way of getting there. Almost garaunteed.

I guess if I would have to go to a civilian school, instead of just being on the Foundation, I'd want to be with the battallion.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
I know how that goes, but Foundation is like a 95% chance of getting in... generally the other 5%'s grades weren't good enough, voluntarilly dropped out, or were medically DQ'd... They made it seem like my chances after a year of college already were minimal when compared to foundation.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Just a note: Those who go to an NROTC unit as civillians are Midshipmen. Officer Candidates are current active duty members; either an active duty sailor attending ROTC as part of a commissioning program or someone undergoing training at OCS

bigspy007

The Foundation and NAPS have about the same admissions rating to the Academy...about 95%....well the chances going the NROTC route are the same as applying out of high school. Plus going through the Foundation or NAPS you don't need to apply again. NAPS and the Foundation are basically the same except NAPS is the Navy's school.....if you want Military training you can go to a military school. My Foundation school has ROTC and its required, so I will get Officer training (its not Navy, but its still officer training) and I am almost assured to get in. I believe my chances are much better via Foundation.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Yeah I know my chances are pretty damn good if I do Foundation, but I'm still worried. But I think I'm leaning towards it -- I know the Academy is where I've always pictured myself, for better or for worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.