• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Natural Vision Enhancement??

Adam25sc

From browsing around on the internet I have come across a few different things involving natural vision enhancement. It seems like it's pretty much like exercises for your eyes. It seems interesting but I'm kind of skeptical about it. Anyone tried or know anything about these things?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
From browsing around on the internet I have come across a few different things involving natural vision enhancement. It seems like it's pretty much like exercises for your eyes. It seems interesting but I'm kind of skeptical about it. Anyone tried or know anything about these things?

I quote my optomitrist: "The eyes degenerate with age. There is nothing, short of memorizing the eye chart, that will make your vision any better."

But, no, I've never tried anything.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I have heard of some other natural enhancement.

smilin_bob_3.jpg

yak52driver

Contributor
I quote my optomitrist: "The eyes degenerate with age. There is nothing, short of memorizing the eye chart, that will make your vision any better."

But, no, I've never tried anything.

I've had 20/15 all my life until a couple of years ago. I can still see 20/15 at arms length and beyond, but need bifocals to read small print up close. I checked into the 'natural enhancement' stuff, nothing supports it actually working. My optomitrist told me the fluid in your lenses thickens with age which reduces your eyes' ability to change focal lengths, nothing can be done about it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A while back, before the military accepted PRK, fledgling aviators attempting to achieve 20/20 would use orthokeratology (aka ortho-K). Just think of it as braces for your eyes a la rigid contact lenses.

Here's an interesting article about ortho-k but it is not dated...and another one.

I'm certain that with today's technology that NOMI/NAMI can detect this sort of attempt at 20/20.

-ea6bflyr ;)

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
ea6bflyr is right. I made a post on here maybe a year ago asking about ortho-k and (as usual) got jumped all over for trying to cheat the system. Some people made some very good points about the Navy's ability to detect ortho-k and the consequences when (not if) they do.

That said, I tried eye exercises several years ago. My ex-gf's father had some that he lent me. They definitely did something because some of the exercises made my eye muscles sore (in the same way that doing a lot of push-ups might make your muscles sore), but I never noticed better vision.

Bottom line? I got PRK in May and I'm 20/15...almost 20/10. I would do it once a year if I had do, despite the pain. Being able to see across a room or pick out air traffic at a distance is amazing -- and I started with 20/60, I can't imagine what it's like if you're worse than that.

JZAB

Livin the MEU life
pilot
A Buddy of mine spent $2500 on those before he reported to API after TBS, after it all he did pass the eye test.
However it took him a second try NOMI must have had a heart that day!

They just told him to hydrate, and stare at the wall all weekend in a dark room with sunglasses on. NO TV or computer. Like I said he passed.

Adam25sc

Well the main reason I was curious about it is because my vision pretty much sucks. I wanted to look into it to see if maybe I could just lower my prescription a little bit. I'm just worried I'm gonna be screwed because of my eyesight

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well the main reason I was curious about it is because my vision pretty much sucks. I wanted to look into it to see if maybe I could just lower my prescription a little bit. I'm just worried I'm gonna be screwed because of my eyesight

Can you quantify your eyesight? 20/30, 20/40,..., 20/200?

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, can you read your alarm clock in the morning with out squinting? If not, I'd say you are in the 20/200 range or worse.

-ea6bflyr ;)

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
Not sure what the 20 number would be, but my prescription for my contacts is like 8.5. Pretty bad I know

8.5 is pretty bad, but you still might qualify for PRK now or whatever other form of eye surgery is being accepted in the future. If you're serious about it, get a dilated eye exam and compare your numbers with the current pre-operative standards for PRK, just to get an idea of where you stand. No other methods (see above) are going to get you anywhere close to qualified.

Keep us updated as you move along with the process, you might just be the next great AW success story. :)