• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nationwide Airlines "loses" Engine #2 drng T/O

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
737-230 is a twin engine jet. If they reported it correctly.

Losing one engine at t/o is a big deal with only one left.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's not a killer, you practice for it all the time. Every takeoff is briefed with several "what-if's?" which includes V1 engine loss, fire, failure, etc., etc., ... it's a nasty but manageable part of the job description.

But literally "losing" an engine could easily change all the procedures and aerodynamics of the problem. Hydraulics could be lost, flight controls, etc. ... these boys sound like they handled it professionally and did a good job. Glad it wasn't me ..... BZ :)

East

东部
Contributor
Engine seperation

But literally "losing" an engine could easily change all the procedures and aerodynamics of the problem. Hydraulics could be lost, flight controls, etc. ...

October 4, 1992
Amsterdam, Netherlands
El Al, Flight 1862
Boeing B-747-258F
4X-AXG
[SIZE=-1]Shortly after taking off from Schiphol Airport, while climbing through 6,500 feet, the No. 3 engine separated with its pylon from the aircraft and damaged the leading edge of the right wing. The No. 3 engine separated in such a way that the No. 4 engine and pylon also separated from the wing. During an attempted return to the airport, the aircraft crashed into a 11 story building in the Bijlmermeer residential district. The design and certification of the B-747 pylon was found to be inadequate to provide the required level of safety. The system to ensure structural integrity by inspection failed. The separation of the No. 3 engine was initiated by fatigue (corrosion) in the inboard midspar fuse pin. This led to loss of the No. 4 engine and pylon and damage to several systems which ultimately led to loss of control of the aircraft.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]El Al 1862:[SIZE=-1]El Al one eight six two, Mayday! Mayday! We have an emergency.[/SIZE][/SIZE]​

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]CONTROLLER:[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]El Al one eight six two, roger. Break, KLM 237, turn left heading 090.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]CONTROLLER:[SIZE=-1]One eight six two, do you wish to return to Schiphol?[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]El Al 1862:[SIZE=-1] Affirmative, Mayday! Mayday! Mayday![/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]CONTROLLER:[SIZE=-1]Turn right heading two six zero, field eh... behind you, eh.... in your - to the west, eh ....distance one eight miles.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]El Al 1862:[SIZE=-1]Roger, we have fire on engine number three, we have fire on engine number three.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]CONTROLLER:[SIZE=-1]Roger, heading two seven zero for downwind.[/SIZE]El Al 1862:[SIZE=-1]Two seven zero downwind.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]El Al 1862:El Al one eight six two, lost number three and number four engine, number three and number four engine[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]CONTROLLER:[SIZE=-1]Roger, one eight six two.[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]LATER IN RECORDING CONTROLLER:El Al one eight six two, continue descent one thousand five hundred feet...one thousand five hundred.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]El Al 1862:[SIZE=-1]Fifteen hundred, and we have a controlling problem.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]CONTROLLER:[SIZE=-1]You have a controlling problem as well, roger.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]El Al 1862:[SIZE=-1][In the background, in Hebrew] - Raise all the flaps, all the flaps raise.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]El Al 1862:[SIZE=-1][In the background] - Ohhhhh![/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]El Al 1862:[SIZE=-1][In the background, in Hebrew] - Lower the gear.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]El Al 1862:[SIZE=-1]Going down...eh...one eight six two, going down, going down, copied going down.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]FEMALE CONTROLLER: [In Dutch] - It has happened.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]CONTROLLER:[SIZE=-1] One eight six two, your heading,[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]FEMALE CONTROLLER [In Dutch] Forget it Henk, (controller’s name), he crashed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]CONTROLLER:[SIZE=-1] [In Dutch] - Do you see it?[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]FEMALE CONTROLLER:[SIZE=-1] [In Dutch] - I see one big fire above the city.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]CONTROLLER:[SIZE=-1] [In Dutch] - Jesus, just at Whisky Papa Yosite (an intersection over a heavily populated area)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]http://www.planecrashinfo.com/MP3s/ratcelal1862.mp3[/SIZE]

43 souls (including the flightcrew) were lost....

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The plane had been in storage for two years prior and had only jsut started flying again.

I used to fly FCFs on F-14A/B/D at NARF on NASNI. Long time down jets were the scariest...if you could ever get the jet to be well enough to take off to begin with.

I had one flight where the stbd engine ate itself internally in an F-14D. HP turbine disintegrated. Another where both mainmounts locked with the first brake application on landing roll out and one where the fuel dump stuck in the selected position (will it stop at 4k or not???)...and more...

FCF jets...always an eye opener. That would be the reason why you need some experience under your belt to be a designatied check pilot or NFO.

Glad these pros got the 737 back on deck in the OP.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used to fly FCFs on F-14A/B/D at NARF on NASNI. Long time down jets were the scariest...if you could ever get the jet to be well enough to take off to begin with.

I had one flight where the stbd engine ate itself internally in an F-14D. HP turbine disintegrated. Another where both mainmounts locked with the first brake application on landing roll out and one where the fuel dump stuck in the selected position (will it stop at 4k or not???)...and more...

FCF jets...always an eye opener. That would be the reason why you need some experience under your belt to be a designatied check pilot or NFO.

Glad these pros got the 737 back on deck in the OP.

We had a bunch of ANG and USAFR prior E's in my Nav class and a few had picked up C-130's from overhaul. The SOP was to sked a 4-6 hour preflight since they would find all sorts of things wrong with the bird, or things that did not belong in the aircraft. Among the things they found, a lunch box with the lunch still inside under the floorboards and a 2x4 in a wing fuel tank.

There was a contract T-39 pilot at P'cola who had flown A-6's previously and did the same thing as you Schnugg. His career ended when the bird that had just come out of PDM/Depot (not sure which one) crashed on takeoff. One of the civilian maintenance workers had put a part in wrong and when he took off the plane went vertical on its own and was unrecoverable, and the crew had to punch out. His B/N walked away but because of no command eject he took just a little while longer to get to the handle and shattered both of his ankles when his chute did not fully deploy. The civilian was suspended for a day without pay and the pilot was med sep'd. Cool guy, but just a little bitter.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
About a year and a half or so ago. A FEDEX DC-10 had an engine come off in flight. The motor landed somewhere in Arkansas.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not a killer, you practice for it all the time. Every takeoff is briefed with several "what-if's?" which includes V1 engine loss, fire, failure, etc., etc., ... it's a nasty but manageable part of the job description.

But literally "losing" an engine could easily change all the procedures and aerodynamics of the problem. Hydraulics could be lost, flight controls, etc. ... these boys sound like they handled it professionally and did a good job. Glad it wasn't me ..... BZ :)

AA191 comes to mind on this point as well.

Also: http://www.airdisaster.com/special/special-aa191.shtml

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
AA191 comes to mind on this point as well.....

Two things changed as a result of this particular accident:

1. Don't use forklifts to do engine changes ... while expedient, it can be deadly.

2. CNX the "cockpit cameras" that were coming into vogue at the time so the pax could "share the cockpit experience" with the flight crew ... marketing thought it was great. AA 191 had one in operation, and as a result the pax had the opportunity to see the last moments of the flight crew's confusion and
incredulity while they died right behind them .... a bad, bad idea --- those cockpit cameras.

STLEngineer

pilot
Didn't I hear P-3 bubbas say that the 737 gets better climb performance single engine than the P-3 with 4 (maybe it was 3)?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
There was a contract T-39 pilot at P'cola who had flown A-6's previously and did the same thing as you Schnugg. His career ended when the bird that had just come out of PDM/Depot (not sure which one) crashed on takeoff. One of the civilian maintenance workers had put a part in wrong and when he took off the plane went vertical on its own and was unrecoverable, and the crew had to punch out. His B/N walked away but because of no command eject he took just a little while longer to get to the handle and shattered both of his ankles when his chute did not fully deploy. The civilian was suspended for a day without pay and the pilot was med sep'd. Cool guy, but just a little bitter.

I think I know who you are talking about.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Didn't I hear P-3 bubbas say that the 737 gets better climb performance single engine than the P-3 with 4 (maybe it was 3)?

It's true, sad but never the less, true.

Of course that was a stripped down, low ZFW a/c. With gear and a full crew, it is going to weigh a LOT more.

737 is a really great plane from what i understand. I've only ever been pax, but from what i hear they over-engineered the crap out of it. They did the same with the P-3, back in the 50's.

Man, this lemon drink i'm consuming here at the Narita airport appears to have a high alcohol content....

slurvin

It's good cape weather, cool, breezy

My grandpa flew with Captain Lux as a FO at American only a few years before the accident. He had a great respect for him and it took him a long time to get over his death.

That day my grandpa was the Captain of the next AA flight departing to Los Angeles and landed with reporters in his face and he had no idea what about until he had called home. My grandma, dad, and uncles were at their lake cottage and heard on the radio that a AA flight departing to LAX had crashed. They just about lost it thinking my gramps had died, but luckily he did not.

After listening to the cockpit voice recorder my grandpa can confirm that the last transmission, "D@mn", was said by Captain Lux.