• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

National Air and Space Museum...how about an update?

"G.I."

pilot
They should definitely keep all the cool historical items. For those displays that address current topics, though, I think those could be brought up to date every decade or so...Easier said than done, I'm sure. Anyone have a spare Growler cockpit laying around?

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
For the Naval Aviation side, sure, but where else can you go and see the actual plane that first broke the sound barrier? Or the actual plane that flew around the world on one tank of gas? Or the actual plane (I think) that made the first trans-atlantic (non-water taxiing) flight? Or get to touch (albeit behind plexi) one of the Apollo capsules. That's the stuff that I think is pretty amazing about the Smithsonian.
Agree-I was there last weekend and felt strong emotions when seeing the Apollo 11 capsule. Took kids all around-they thought Naval Aviation section was old and boring.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
Remember the Museum in Pensacola is dedicated to Naval Air so it should be more comprehensive than the NASM, the Smithsonian tries to give a broad view of the history of aviation in it's entirety. There's a lot more to the history of aviation than just Naval Air. I do agree that they could update the Naval Aviaiton display a little though, at least bring it into the 90's.

Wonder if they'll update the pioneers of aviation exhibit to reflect the fact that Gustave Whitehead was actually first in powered flight instead of the Wright Brothers. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504803_162-57599046-10391709/its-official-the-wright-bros-werent-first/

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......Wonder if they'll update the pioneers of aviation exhibit to reflect the fact that Gustave Whitehead was actually first in powered flight instead of the Wright Brothers. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504803_162-57599046-10391709/its-official-the-wright-bros-werent-first/

Maybe if they weren't serious historians they would. The more you dig into that claim the less serious it becomes with the latest evidence based on analysis of a blurry photograph in the background of another photograph from 1906. Additionally some of the claims Whitehead made around that time are a bit far-fetched, calling into question his credibility. Actually from what I have read about him there is no definiteve evidence that he ever actually flew one of his planes, only claims from him and some supposed witnesses almost 40 years later.

So yeah, not so much.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Decisions, decisions....

When I finally croak, I cannot decide whether I want to be stuffed like Trigger the horse and be put on display at the National Air and Space Museum, or the National Naval Aviation Museum.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Decisions, decisions....

When I finally croak, I cannot decide whether I want to be stuffed like Trigger the horse and be put on display at the National Air and Space Museum, or the National Naval Aviation Museum.
Cat,I don't think you'd like poor Trigger's "stuffing" experience. Turns out he was skinned and the insides replaced by a plastic horse-shaped form. Unknown by Rogers, an illicit horsemeat dealer obtained the flesh from the taxidermist for sale as meat. Later when this shady action was revealed, the dealer was convicted and sentenced to 5 years!:eek:
Trigger-1.jpg
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cat,I don't think you'd like poor Trigger's "stuffing" experience. Turns out he was skinned and the insides replaced by a plastic horse-shaped form. Unknown by Rogers, an illicit horsemeat dealer obtained the flesh from the taxidermist for sale as meat. Later when this shady action was revealed, the dealer was convicted and sentenced to 5 years!:eek:
View attachment 12792
BzB

Yikes!!!!! :eek:-is right!

PS- But mine is bigger than Trigger's.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So basically the Jeremy Bentham of aviation...just hope people don't keep trying to steal your head.

I thought I was full of useless facts and random bar trivia. Are you sure your name isn't Cliff?

tumblr_m83fvkUyDY1r4u11so7_1280.jpg