• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA's New Mission?

CAMike

None
Contributor
This is NOT a surprise at all. Does is also surprise you that his administration is preparing to file against the state of Arizona while their municipal law enforcement officers are simultaneously receiving death threats from both US based illegals and drug lords from south of the border?

Riddle me this SeaBound, who's the greater threat?
Drug Lords who have successfully penetrated and currently control a section of the US?
or A CIC who doesn't support a state Governor's request to oppose these criminals?

Nov 2010 AND NOV 2012 will be very telling about our countries future.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
http://www.sfexaminer.com/politics/NASA_s-new-mission_-Building-ties-to-Muslim-world-97817909.html

I don't quite understand it. Aren't there already departments of the government better suited for this?

Why not? The Navy is figuring out a long term plan to restore the Gulf of Mexico (and moving their focus from things like supporting ops in the Mid East, or anti-piracy ops across the globe)

We went to the Moon with big brass balls and used slide rules and a little bit of imagination... Technology isn't our problem, our attitude, our drive is... We've become a Hessian state, playing police and putting out fires across the globe. We are no longer the dreamers and innovators that we once were...

When my father was a little boy (A4s was only kinda old then ;)) he dreamed of riding rockets into space or flying jet fighters like the heroes of his day did... When I was a boy we had the Shuttle, the SR-71 was cool.

Now, will my kids grow up dreaming to be mediocre? People who are good at math and can make someone feel good about themselves?

I need to go watch The Right Stuff again...

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
This administration's Justice Department (a) files suit against Arizona which passed a law to enforce a federal law the Glorious Leader says is "ultimately unenforceable" while simultaneously it (b) has a policy not to enforce its own federal laws against voter intimidation when they involve black intimidation of both whites and other blacks at voting sites. The Moslem world needs a little self-esteem enhancement since their last contributions to world knowledge (algebra, astronomy & architecture - among others) were only 1400 years ago.

Yankee Uniform Tango
When my father was a little boy (A4s was only kinda old then ;)) he dreamed of riding rockets into space or flying jet fighters like the heroes of his day did... When I was a boy we had the Shuttle, the SR-71 was cool.

Now, will my kids grow up dreaming to be mediocre? People who are good at math and can make someone feel good about themselves?

I think our kids will be dreaming about growing up to be UAV Top Guns (sic)! ;) :(

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.sfexaminer.com/politics/NASA_s-new-mission_-Building-ties-to-Muslim-world-97817909.html

I don't quite understand it. Aren't there already departments of the government better suited for this?

Ever heard of the Apollo-Soyuz? You can't pretend that science was the main objective of that boondoggle. International cooperation has long been an integral part of NASA's mission, sometimes because of science and sometimes because of politics but most of the time a mixture of both. The space shuttles have flown astronauts from at least 13 different nations into space, from Mexico to Saudi Arabia. You can't tell me that wasn't at least partially political.

Drug Lords who have successfully penetrated and currently control a section of the US?

Where would that be, Gotham City? Exaggerate much?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

If the goal is to invite other countries to participate in space exploration and technology development, then I think NASA is the logical choice.

My issue is how the NASA Admininstrator framed his response; his foremost mission is to engage the Muslim world.
I would think the foremost mission of NASA would be:
1. Figure out what system will be used after the Space Shuttle is retired.
2. How are we going to get back to the Moon and the eventually Mars?
3. What is the future of space exploration beyond the ISS?
4. When are the space aliens coming back to earth to steal all our women?

If NASA wishes to engage in science and technology exchanges with countries that happen to Muslim, I think that's great. Pakistan has significant scientific expertise and may make a great 'intellectual partner' for NASA. If NASA were to invite a Muslim country have a person qualifiy as an astronaut and then go into space (granted it would be on a Russian rocket) to the ISS, that would be a significant accomplishment and would gain us some diplomatic capital with that country.

I don't take issue with the concept of using NASA as a tool of diplomacy, I have a hard time with the words used by Charles Bolden that he should "find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science ... and math and engineering." How exactly do we make someone feel good about contribution to science when their ground breaking work was almost a millenia ago??

CAMike

None
Contributor
[/QUOTE}Where would that be, Gotham City? Exaggerate much?[/QUOTE]

Flash- If our government warns it's citizens to NOT go into certain parts of the US for their own safety- then we don't have control of that geographic area. Or should the gov't just provide "local" briefs on the states "yellow zones" where our citizens are instructed to only visit safe areas like we do for sailors who visit certain third world countries?

http://www.examiner.com/x-10317-San-Diego-County-Political-Buzz-Examiner~y2010m6d15-Arizona-warns-residents-with-signs-against-hiking-in-region-near-Mexico-border

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the goal is to invite other countries to participate in space exploration and technology development, then I think NASA is the logical choice. My issue is how the NASA Admininstrator framed his response; his foremost mission is to engage the Muslim world.......

Poor wording on his part when he likely meant what you are advocating.

If NASA wishes to engage in science and technology exchanges with countries that happen to Muslim, I think that's great. Pakistan has significant scientific expertise and may make a great 'intellectual partner' for NASA. If NASA were to invite a Muslim country have a person qualifiy as an astronaut and then go into space (granted it would be on a Russian rocket) to the ISS, that would be a significant accomplishment and would gain us some diplomatic capital with that country.

Already been done

When are the space aliens coming back to earth to steal all our women?

I am pretty certain MasterBates would not mind them taking the Manatee. Probably still has the receipts.

Flash- If our government warns it's citizens to NOT go into certain parts of the US for their own safety- then we don't have control of that geographic area. Or should the gov't just provide "local" briefs on the states "yellow zones" where our citizens are instructed to only visit safe areas like we do for sailors who visit certain third world countries?

http://www.examiner.com/x-10317-San-Diego-County-Political-Buzz-Examiner~y2010m6d15-Arizona-warns-residents-with-signs-against-hiking-in-region-near-Mexico-border

Kind of like how I am warned not to hang around the local neighborhood outside my work after dark? Or my buddies who got a card telling them what to do if they try and get carjacked right outside their work? Welcome to reality, it happens a lot of places.

It is a gross exaggeration to say that a region of the country is 'controlled' by gangs, a warning not to go hiking there is nothing but that, a warning. Just like trying to hitchhike in Ward 8 of DC at midnight, probably not the brightest idea. Cops still go to both places largely unhindered and people still live there and I am certain the IRS still collects it's taxes and the Census Bureau is still asking questions. So yeah, you're exaggerating.

exhelodrvr

pilot
"Poor wording on his part when he likely meant what you are advocating."

Unlikely, considering the way other issues are approached by the administration.

"It is a gross exaggeration to say that a region of the country is 'controlled' by gangs,"

Slight exaggeration, NOT gross. The Mexican drug gangs go into U.S. cities to kidnap/kill their targets, and the federal government is unwilling to take the necessary steps to address the issue.

Clux4

Banned
Slight exaggeration, NOT gross. The Mexican drug gangs go into U.S. cities to kidnap/kill their targets, and the federal government is unwilling to take the necessary steps to address the issue.

How does this Arizona law prevent armed Mexican gangs? It is just like saying enforcing the RICO act in the 1980's prevented the Italian mafia's from perpetrating crime. Addressing the issue is one thing and the Arizona law does not do that.

Enrique involved in gang/drug cartel warfare is different from Jose working at the meat packing plant. The only thing they have in common is the fact that they are illegally present in the US. The drug lords of Mexico have work and money, the only thing they want is market for their goods. Those guys working at the meat parking plant are working to death to send money back to Mexico. I doubt they have time to shoot and kill on the streets of Arizona.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Illegal immigration and much of the drug traffic are closely intertwined: same groups are involved to some degree, and much of the activity occurs in the same poorly guarded border regions. Closely monitoring the borders will have a positive effect on both issues.
The Arizona law will make the effort and expense of crossing the border less attractive, because of a greater potential for getting sent back; some of those sent back will be those illegals involved with the drug trade.

The Arizona law certainly does not address the entire issue, but it would help with a significant part of it. The same would be true of a hypothetical improved physical security of the actual border - it's not everything, but it is an important part.

And the federal government hasn't taken appropriate steps in either area.

jtmedli

pilot
The Arizona law certainly does not address the entire issue, but it would help with a significant part of it. The same would be true of a hypothetical improved physical security of the actual border - it's not everything, but it is an important part.

And the federal government hasn't taken appropriate steps in either area.

Yes and Yes.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
IMHO, it's all smoke and mirrors for the fact that the Administration has decided to gut NASA and toss out its core missions. Hangar the shuttles, shelve Orion, fire the engineers and now you've got enough money to send Charlie Bolden and the remaining astronaut corps on speaking engagements. Which they will do happily because it might be their last paid gig having spent every waking minute of their lives working towards getting into space. It's truly sad. I love the short sighted fallacy of this plan. In a few years, we'll still be sending comm/nav/GPS satellites into space but there will not be an experienced cadre of space engineers to support and maintain them. Our low orbit will resemble our power grid: an outdated mess waiting for a disaster.