• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA to Cancel Moon Mission, Constellation, & Future US Manned Spacecraft Program

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
GSII involves more deficit spending than anyone ever imagined possible for purposes never considered likely 5 years ago. Yes, military & space spending will fall, but aggregate spending is rising 15%+ per year. Don't worry, the USCG will never be able to afford replacing your Herc w/ a French a/c. Autre fois, JMHO.
Hey, it is just one type of airframe that the French built for us, mon ami.

Don't worry. Deficit spending will decrease as the economy improves thanks to the stimulus. :)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I largely agree with the change of direction. Having government do low earth orbit is costly and unnecessary. The moon? Really? That was getting old in the 70s.

The national security aspects of actually owning LEO spacecraft are overblown. Do you even realize how many "national assets" are really operated by private companies?

I do long for a Kennedy moment in regards to getting to Mars though. Set a date and allocate the resources to get there. Exploration is what humans do. I'd trade Medicaid and a few aircraft carriers for live video of an American flag being planted on Mars, anyday.

mark11

My personal belief has always been that NASA needs to be slimmed down, but should be in charge of higher risk/cost/long distance missions that private corporations wouldn't take on, and if these cuts are done correctly, NASA can re-focus on what it needs to do, rather than be all over the place.

Agreed, capitalism 101, he who does the best job at the most attractive price wins. It's the only path to constant innovation and advancement. However, exploration is something the government only really has the ability and means to accomplish as there isn't any real profit to be seen in getting to mars for corporate America initially. Once its been accomplished and the tech base is there the free market can take over and advance further.

CAMike

None
Contributor
I love the irony of that statement. The financial equivalent of, "The beatings will continue until morale improves." :icon_wink

That quote regarding "The beatings..." is unfortunately appropriate on several levels. As long as our country continues down it's current path of reckless spending without a realistic business plan in place to support it- the space program among many other worthy programs will suffer in the long run. Ironically the current so called successful jobs bill and stimulus packages will eventually dry up and the beneficiaries of those programs are eventually going to be the ones who will be hurt the most by those very hand outs. Do you disagree? Start a monthly diary and in about 5 years, we'll compare notes.

I sincerely hope the space program gets "some" funding to keep it breathing until our nations fiscal health improves enough to let it flourish again.

CAMike

CAMike

None
Contributor
I love the irony of that statement. The financial equivalent of, "The beatings will continue until morale improves." :icon_wink

That quote regarding "The beatings..." is unfortunately appropriate on several levels. As long as our country continues down it's current path of reckless spending without a realistic business plan in place to support it- the space program among many other worthy programs will suffer in the long run. Ironically the current so called successful jobs bill and stimulus packages will eventually dry up and the beneficiaries of those programs are eventually going to be the ones who will be hurt the most by those very hand outs. Do you disagree? Start a monthly diary and in about 5 years, we'll compare notes.

I sincerely hope the space program gets "some" funding to keep it breathing.

CAMike

jtmedli

pilot

I sincerely hope the space program gets "some" funding to keep it breathing.

CAMike

I agree. You give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. You teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Basically put, same concept.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I agree. You give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. You teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Basically put, same concept.

Compassionate capitalism:

Now and then you gotta just give in and feed him enough fish for that one day or two... a week is pushing it and anything more than that creates a dependency.

:)