• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA Fail!

jtmedli

pilot
Uhhh ! When did we have 10 shuttles? We only had 5. That is a 40% loss rate.

That's why I said 2/10 = 20%. I guess I should included a 'BTW' in there. Losing 2/5 on 131 trips into space is a record that I would not consider a failure by any means. It's a risky busness and sadly we, as a nation, have lost good people doing it. I would not begin to call our space program a failure though.

Failure is only truely found when you stop trying to succeed which is what we've done. Wasn't it Thomas Edison that said 'he didn't fail 10000 times to make a light bulb, but found 10000 ways to do it better'. Of all the things to quit spending money on, I don't think the space program is where we should start cutting. Most of those who do think this don't have the slightest grasp on how much the space program has contributed to our lifestyle today. GPS, Integrated Circuits (which later developed into CPUs), Medical Imaging, Robotics Advances and Velcro to name a few.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
That's why I said 2/10 = 20%. I guess I should included a 'BTW' in there. Losing 2/5 on 131 trips into space is a record that I would not consider a failure by any means. It's a risky busness and sadly we, as a nation, have lost good people doing it. I would not begin to call our space program a failure though.

Failure is only truely found when you stop trying to succeed which is what we've done. Wasn't it Thomas Edison that said 'he didn't fail 10000 times to make a light bulb, but found 10000 ways to do it better'. Of all the things to quit spending money on, I don't think the space program is where we should start cutting. Most of those who do think this don't have the slightest grasp on how much the space program has contributed to our lifestyle today. GPS, Integrated Circuits (which later developed into CPUs), Medical Imaging, Robotics Advances and Velcro to name a few.

Is this guy for real?

m26

Contributor
Most of those who do think this don't have the slightest grasp on how much the space program has contributed to our lifestyle today. GPS, Integrated Circuits (which later developed into CPUs), Medical Imaging, Robotics Advances and Velcro to name a few.

Don't forget those squishy mattresses! :)

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I hear astronauts get a lot of tang ;)

0023%289%29.jpg

Or were you talking about the flavored beverage?

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Well the NASA budget has actually been increased by the current administration. I understand concern about cutting Constellation, but it had many critics about how expensive and behind sched/slow it was. Everyone wants the budget fixed, but no one wants their favorite pet project cut. *shrugs*

As for this quote:
I'mfromNewJersey said:
That being said, NASA has done nothing but lose credibility and public support since the Apollo missions.
It must be from someone who was not an adult when the Shuttles first went up or the Mars Rover and Hubble missions were launched. All had tremendous support and positive media coverage. Heck, every time Hubble gets an upgrade scores of awesome pics of the cosmos hit the net.

Has NASA rec'd negative press and been under a microscope in the wake of accidents/screw ups? You bet, as expected. When you are talking about government programs that cost billions and are dangerous, serious oversight is the price of doing business.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
When you are talking about government programs that cost billions and are dangerous, serious oversight is the price of doing business.

I agree, it's just unfortunate that this is true.