• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA: China May Get to Moon Before U.S. Can Return

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Brilliant move, really.
With any luck, the ChiComs will have a decent sweat shop up there pumping out cheap goods so we can fill our lunar homes with stuff.
So much easier than hauling it ourselves.

Random8145

The private sector may get the USA there again. There's a huge push right now in private spaceflight and also there's a new competition for who can put a robot on the Moon first and broadcast a live video on Youtube, I believe.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
The private sector may get the USA there again. There's a huge push right now in private spaceflight and also there's a new competition for who can put a robot on the Moon first and broadcast a live video on Youtube, I believe.

May? My money says its the ONLY way.

"And as I was sayin', whoever controls the high ground of space controls the world. The Roman Empire controlled the world because it could build roads. Later, the British Empire was dominant because they had ships. In the Air Stage, we were powerful because we had the airplane. And now the Communists have established a foothold in outer space. Pretty soon they'll have damned space platforms so they can drop nuclear bombs on us, like rocks from a highway overpass. Now HOW IN THE HELL did they ever get ahead of us?"

Random8145

Whoa there...I wouldn't say they are ahead of us at all yet. They didn't put any man on the Moon yet, they just sent a spacecraft up into orbit with a person inside.

Also, if China was to become a military threat like that, NASA would start getting some huge funding I think.

Space is important, but IMO it's also a national pride thing. We Americans are reknowned for engineering amongst the world's best aircraft and for many great scientific and engineering advancements, and for being the first to reach the Moon, so to get one-upped would be an insult.

For China it's the same, they know they were once the world's most advanced civilization, and space will help prove their engineering prowess if they can put people on the Moon.

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
Not to derail the thread or anything, but... As we all know the warp drive will be invented in the USA. The Vulcans will meet with us, not the chicoms. Sending a few people to the moon will mean nothing when we control the entire galaxy.

skidz

adrenaline junky
We Americans are reknowned for engineering amongst the world's best aircraft and for many great scientific and engineering advancements, and for being the first to reach the Moon, so to get one-upped would be an insult.
Yes, we are known for have most of the best engineers and scientists in nearly every field in the world, but that is changing, fast.

The new generations of Americans aren't taking up science as they used to, nor are they instilling values like honor, integrity, and loyalty into their everyday lives. They are becoming cocky and they think that riding the coat tails of our fathers, grand and greats, is enough. And it's definitely not enough, not even close.

Men like my great grandfather, who survived the depression and fought in WWI, like my grandfather, who fought at Normandy and through to Germany, and my other grandfather, a Naval Aviation cadet during '43 turned ring-knocker from West Point(found out he gets sea sick and air sick, go figure), who fought in Korea and Vietnam, are the men of the great generations of Americans.

So guys like A4's, Catmando, feddoc, bunk22, are part of the great generations, and the rest that are in the military now are just fighting the way society is teaching us. I only wish for this great country to out-survive me.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, we are known for have most of the best engineers and scientists in nearly every field in the world, but that is changing, fast.

The new generations of Americans aren't taking up science as they used to, nor are they instilling values like honor, integrity, and loyalty into their everyday lives. They are becoming cocky and they think that riding the coat tails of our fathers, grand and greats, is enough. And it's definitely not enough, not even close.

Men like my great grandfather, who survived the depression and fought in WWI, like my grandfather, who fought at Normandy and through to Germany, and my other grandfather, a Navy mid flying during '41 turned ring-knocker from West Point, who fought in Korea and Vietnam, are the men of the great generations of Americans.

So guys like A4's, Catmando, feddoc, bunk22, are part of the great generations, and the rest that are in the military now are just fighting the way society is teaching us. I only wish for this great country to out-survive me.

I think it's time to take your Ritalin.

Brett

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
"Pretty soon they'll have damned space platforms so they can drop nuclear bombs on us, like rocks from a highway overpass. "

Or worse, those crafty devils might invent "missiles" that they could mount the nuclear weapons on, and launch them at us from their own territory! If they are really creative, they might make those missiles mobile, to further confuse the targeting problem. Or if they got really dastardly, they might think about mounting these missiles on submarines, to make it even harder for us to hold them at risk.

We have far more pressing problems in space to worry about than orbiting bombs...

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Or worse, those crafty devils might invent "missiles" that they could mount the nuclear weapons on, and launch them at us from their own territory! If they are really creative, they might make those missiles mobile, to further confuse the targeting problem. Or if they got really dastardly, they might think about mounting these missiles on submarines, to make it even harder for us to hold them at risk.

We have far more pressing problems in space to worry about than orbiting bombs...

Or he was just quoting LBJ.

fatathaland

Good for China. They're making mission to gather moon rocks and to prove that they're capable of such an achievement. Should they succeed they do not deserve a threat, but a pat on the back and congratulations from the US and world for such success.

That would mean a lot to that culture, and that is how good ties are built. Just look at Russia; were it not for them we could not have built the ISS.

And for those who feel we are becoming inferior, don't forget we still have two rovers on Mars (for four years each now), satellites in orbit around Mars, and missions that have landed on asteroids and that have followed comets. We also have dozens of other unparalleled missions in progress.

Random8145

Like what? I don't mean that skeptically, just out of curiousity.

Should they succeed they do not deserve a threat, but a pat on the back and congratulations from the US and world for such success.

That would mean a lot to that culture, and that is how good ties are built. Just look at Russia; were it not for them we could not have built the ISS.

True, if the Chinese succeed in that, I would congratulate them definitely, then say, "The race is on!" Competition is good.

Yeah... that's a quote from the Right Stuff...