• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAs who fly the SNFOs around

srqwho

pilot
I was in Pensacola a few weeks ago and saw a few NA IPs walking around from the SNFO VT squadrons. My only experience has been in the SNA VTs (Corpus/Kingsville). I was curious to see what type of flying the IPs do with the SNFOs in the trunk in the 45. Do the guys in the trunk get any stick time like I've heard in the primary squadrons (T-6)? Thanks.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was in VT-86 (the only NFO VT with T-45s) we did airnavs, low levels, section flights, BFM, and CAS flights in the T-45. From what I remember it was only (current guys correct me if I'm wrong) a 15 flight syllabus. There wasn't any official stick time, but I had a few IPs that let me fly some airnav legs. Pretty much the same as the T-6. The only time I had stick time in the T-6 was on my contact hops (a few flights in the Pensacola MOA), and on some airnavs.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
When I was in VT-86 (the only NFO VT with T-45s) we did airnavs, low levels, section flights, BFM, and CAS flights in the T-45. From what I remember it was only (current guys correct me if I'm wrong) a 15 flight syllabus. There wasn't any official stick time, but I had a few IPs that let me fly some airnav legs. Pretty much the same as the T-6. The only time I had stick time in the T-6 was on my contact hops (a few flights in the Pensacola MOA), and on some airnavs.
I finished up this summer, nothing has changed from that. I got some basic stick time on AirNavs, as well, but it was not required, and made up less than 1% of my T-45 flight time.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Sounds like a good gig from a Prowler guy I talked to at lunch one day. Live on the beach instead of Milton, fly a decent amount (incl out & ins), etc.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And only Prowler guys. The T-45 side of VT-86 is a VAQ union shop. The E-2 pilots I've known who tried to get in on the sweet T-45 action said they felt like the unwelcome stranger walking into a saloon in a western.

Semi-threadjack: Since VT-4 is gone, and all the AF studs, and the T-39 going, is -86 going to get a lot more T-45s, or is the squadron just going to get a lot smaller?

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
And only Prowler guys. The T-45 side of VT-86 is a VAQ union shop. The E-2 pilots I've known who tried to get in on the sweet T-45 action said they felt like the unwelcome stranger walking into a saloon in a western.

Semi-threadjack: Since VT-4 is gone, and all the AF studs, and the T-39 going, is -86 going to get a lot more T-45s, or is the squadron just going to get a lot smaller?

What I heard on the way out was they're planning on getting a lot more Goshawks, the new ones with missionized aft cockpits and some sort of synthetic radar imagery run by a ground station. I'm not making this stuff up. Also talk of increasing the number of simulator events to make up for the loss of the Sabreliner.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I was semi-familiar with the T-45 sortaradar and Grand Wing Six Risorgimento, just not sure how exactly they were carrying it out. All T-6 at VT-10, and all T-45 at VT-86? If the VP/VQ/VAW pipeline studs were going to fly T-45s at -86, it would require a lot more jets.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The plan is for VT-86 to get around 20 T-45's. They will focus on ejection seat NFO platforms (Sorry E-2/P-3/P-8 guys).

From what I understood of the revised UMFO program called VMTS is that PRI & INT flying would be T-6s and ADV flying would be upgraded T-45s with a butt ton of air-to-air and air-to-ground full motion & visual simulators.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

When I went through there were no E-2/C-2 guys because there was a lot more concentration on ACM, half the flights, but they did have plenty of VFA, VMFA, VMA and VF guys in addition to the Prowler guys. The IPs said they didn't have the planes or the time to bring up the E-2/C-2 guys up to speed on the ACM stuff like they did in Meridian and Krock where the had more jets and folks.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
WSO buddy of mine told me about a time when he was in the RR in -86 on duty, some dude from VFA-umptyfrats called asking if they were hiring, hands off to the ODO, who puts him on hold while he asks. Whole room busts open with laughter and they make fun of the dude for a couple mins. ODO gets back on phone and says "sorry man, we are full right now"

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Also talk of increasing the number of simulator events to make up for the loss of the Sabreliner.

There's a metric shittonne of crates in the sim building now and the construction is still going on the the front of the building. The Fidelity guys were telling me of them expanding and hiring more contractors to fill the new spots.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
There's a metric shittonne of crates in the sim building now and the construction is still going on the the front of the building. The Fidelity guys were telling me of them expanding and hiring more contractors to fill the new spots.

Is that a Growler in your avatar? I didn't think they had those in Oklahoma ;)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Um, yeah. I went to API with EM1...always talked about wanting to go to OK to be close to home.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Um, yeah. I went to API with EM1...always talked about wanting to go to OK to be close to home.

Yeah, E-6 is my second choice. Behind E-attack. Contact SIMS start today, should be flying next week!