• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS Google?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Reading the morning news today, and apparently a subsidiary of Google is renovating the old NAS MOFFETT field, to increase use for the business Gulfstream community I guess?

h85748.jpg

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/ac-usn22/z-types/zrs5-l.htm

...The decision announced Monday clears the way for Google's Planetary Ventures LLC to take over management of the 1,000-acre Moffett Federal Airfield, a former U.S. Navy based 4 miles from Google's Mountain View, Calif., headquarters. The airfield, which was built in the 1930s, has been managed by NASA's Ames Research Center for the past 23 years....
http://news.yahoo.com/google-subsidiary-run-nearby-federal-airfield-003610841.html

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Glad to see they're keeping Hangar 1 around. I know there was debate on tearing it down due to restoration costs and toxic cleanup issues.

I once spent 45 minutes trying to get a Prowler out of the chocks there, using every piece of compatible GSE on the field.

Renegade One

None
Reading the morning news today, and apparently a subsidiary of Google is renovating the old NAS MOFFETT field, to increase use for the business Gulfstream community I guess?
I dunno…frankly don't care who keeps the old Moffett Field alive and well. In my day, it had become a major P-3 squadron beddown site…after many decades of LTA, and much else, I'm sure. By the time I retired, the Navy was gone and it was a NASA Ames site. If it has "new legs" as a corporate whatever site…I'm happy for that. I only hope there's some money in a federal budget somewhere to help preserve at least "Hangar One" as a "historical site".
I have happy memories of myself standing by my trusty Tomcat at an NAS Moffett airshow in the late '70s. Those were the days….

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
There is definitely a moveent to keep NAS Moffett alive in a historical sense. For those that don't know, there is a small museum there run by a bunch of retired aviators and crewmen. It is small but pretty comprehensive. My Bees do a fair amount of work over there to keep things in shape and help with new displays. I highly recommend visiting.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I reported to my first fleet squadron VF-94, home based at NAS Moffett in July '58. Several months later CAGs 9 & 2, a total of 6 VA & 4 VF squadrons, transferred from Moffett to Alameda. It marked the start of the NUQ "cleansing" of VF/VA jet units, due to public pressure regarding several disasterous crashes in the surrounding high density Mountainview/Sunnyvale areas.:(

The last jet squadrons to leave were the two RAGs in '61; VF-124 to Miramar, and VA-125 to the brand new NAS Lemoore. The WarPigs had 'won' Moffett by default!:eek:
BzB

Attachments

• Google Moffett.png
    Google Moffett.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It marked the start of the NUQ "cleansing" of VF/VA jet units, due to public pressure regarding several disasterous crashes in the surrounding high density Mountainview/Sunnyvale areas.:(
And we see how that turned out for military presence in the Bay Area. Now Whidbey is fighting the same BS.

I think if the rich liberals had their way, we'd be permanently underway. Just make the carriers turn circles in the straits of Juan de Fuca, off San Diego Bay, and somewhere east of the Chesapeake Light. No need for evil military bases to offend their prissy sensibilities; we're locked up on board, so they don't have to worry about us proles driving the real estate prices down. Can't have those sorts here. They won't get PTSD from our FCLPs, either, cause we'd be doing the real thing. Then they can fly their flags and say they "support the troops" without making any sacrifice whatsoever. Perfect!

Yes, reading about the COER shenanigans around these parts puts me in an evil mood . . .